Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pleasant Grove

11 50.00%
  • Gilmer

11 50.00%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by lostaussie View Post
    Waterboy......what your thoughts on #2 Morgan Lusty. That kid got some different level skills!!!!
    Morgan Lusty is a little feller, but he has the best hands on the team, and is probably our fastest kid. He reminds me of Wes Welker, to be honest. He gets behind the defense more often than anybody else. His routes are crisp, and if Poppy was any taller I think he would get a lot more touches. He is still our leading receiver, and has more TDs than any of our other receivers (I think).
    "Kaizen"

".......offense wins games, but DEFENSE wins championships!"

P.R.I.D.E.

Gilmer Buckeyes -State Champions:

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

All-American

Waterboy......what your thoughts on #2 Morgan Lusty. That kid got some different level skills!!!!

Best receiver Gilmer has, from what I've seen. Athletically, he's not as gifted as some of the others, like Red and Qua, but he runs really, really clean routes. He has great hands, even in traffic, and he has great focus when the ball is in the air. He's not afraid to play physical, either, as he made some tough catches against some good PG coverages. I don't know if he'll blow by anyone with his speed, but he's a one of the more valuable assets Gilmer has, offensively, in my opinion.
    Texas Forever.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Yes it is and it's very disappointing. I made a comment about it after the Nac game on the Buckeyes Facebook page and my ears got burnt!!!. People whining about the reserved seating. The folks that have those tickets won't come to the dang games. May have been more from Txk than from Gilmer.
    Fan support for dominant winning programs in high school football......is it a problem??? Does "the magic" of winning lose its luster when the team is "supposed to win" almost every game, and is "expected" to play for a State Championship each season??? Do you notice that even the most dedicated fans are no longer rabid about their team? Has the band, cheerleaders, and student body become complacent and less spirited during the game.....like when the team scores or makes a great defensive play? When the team plays away, do you obviously see less fanbase attending those games? Do you think it's a sign of the times, or do you feel the fans have become "numb" and can no longer be excited about the team winning? I ask these questions because I see some of these same symptoms in Argyle as compared to the way it was maybe 5 yrs ago......most certainly 10 yrs ago.
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by regaleagle View Post
    Fan support for dominant winning programs in high school football......is it a problem??? Does "the magic" of winning lose its luster when the team is "supposed to win" almost every game, and is "expected" to play for a State Championship each season??? Do you notice that even the most dedicated fans are no longer rabid about their team? Has the band, cheerleaders, and student body become complacent and less spirited during the game.....like when the team scores or makes a great defensive play? When the team plays away, do you obviously see less fanbase attending those games? Do you think it's a sign of the times, or do you feel the fans have become "numb" and can no longer be excited about the team winning? I ask these questions because I see some of these same symptoms in Argyle as compared to the way it was maybe 5 yrs ago......most certainly 10 yrs ago.
    You hit the nail on the head. You have described us to a T
    Originally posted by Ranger Mom
    Umm...what is a sweet beaver??
    the best kind???

All-American
    Blog Entries

Very unfortunate for those that give so much, and for the town in general. It may even be a human behavorial pattern that just cannot be fixed and appears in other similar scenarios.....like when a person is born into wealth and does not appreciate his standing in the world until he experiences personally what it's like to not have wealth.
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

All-American
    Blog Entries

So by this analysis......the only way to solve this problem is for those winning programs to begin losing on a regular basis for several years in a row......that should do it, Huh?

All-American

You hit the nail on the head. You have described us to a T

And, this is what Celina went through from about 2009-2014. And that's why, in an earlier thread, I drew comparisons between where Gilmer is now, as a program, and where Celina was in the post-2008 era. Argyle won't be much further behind all of this, either. They've been winning at a large enough clip for long enough now that these symptoms will start to creep in.

After a while, winning just becomes standard. It becomes expected. So much so, that people don't pay much attention unless it's a late season game where, perhaps, winning isn't necessarily expected. Throw in how readily available real-time game information is for those that want it, and you have the recipe for low attendance rates.

Whereas, from 1995-2008 in Celina, it was hard to get a seat at home games, and it was hard to get a good seat at playoff games. You had to arrive very, very early. There was just so much excitement within the program, from the 68-game winning streak, to the four-peat, to the ending of the streak, to the should've-been state championship team in 2004, to the four straight state appearances (and two titles) from 2005-08. Celina was on an unprecedented run of eight state title appearances in 14 seasons, and several exciting/promising teams (1996, 1997, 2002, 2004) that could have and should have played for the state title.

That success, however, was the architect of its own demise, in a sense. And, this rise-and-fall pattern can be seen being repeated for most of Texas's historic programs. There's no singularity here, as there are many factors at play, but there is commonality between all of the great powerhouses. After about a decade and a half, excitement starts to drop, and there has to be a fall of sorts, in order that a revival can take place.
    Texas Forever.

I think you folks are onto something. There definitely doesn't "seem" to be as much excitement in the air as there used to be. Friday's game was VERY INTENSE for the fans, but the crowd wasn't there like they used to be a few years ago. We have a big stadium, especially on the home side (which is really nice BTW), and it hasn't really been "full" but maybe once or twice since the remodel. I think there's too many reserved seats, and I think that has a lot to do with it. No way should there be about 2/3s of the home side reserved seating. There's just too many fair weather fans for that.

I also think winning is expected, taken for granted even, and some people didn't realize just how good PG was. We played our best game of the year offensively, and still came up short. I think that if we could just get a NEW DEFENSE in place, even if we have to lose a few games during the transition, I think the fans will start coming back. There will still be gaps in the reserved seating because that's just the nature of having those seats. A stellar offense is fun to watch, but a dominant defense is even MORE fun to watch, in my humble opinion.
    "Kaizen"

P.R.I.D.E.

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

All-American

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by waterboy View Post
    I think you folks are onto something. There definitely doesn't "seem" to be as much excitement in the air as there used to be. Friday's game was VERY INTENSE for the fans, but the crowd wasn't there like they used to be a few years ago. We have a big stadium, especially on the home side (which is really nice BTW), and it hasn't really been "full" but maybe once or twice since the remodel. I think there's too many reserved seats, and I think that has a lot to do with it. No way should there be about 2/3s of the home side reserved seating. There's just too many fair weather fans for that.
    There must have been a "build it and they will come" aspect to how much they expanded the home side. We'll never come close to filling that on anywhere near a regular basis short of consolidating with some of the districts bordering the Gilmer ISD. I wouldn't mind having the Harmony players on our team this season. Would we still be in 4A if we could do that? I think so, just barely.

Let's face it. American society most places outside of Texas does not have much enthusiasm for football anymore. Had you ever told me as a kid that one day the NFL would be on the way out, I"d have probably said "kill me now" or more likely "I'll kill YOU now."

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Aesculus gilmus View Post
    There must have been a "build it and they will come" aspect to how much they expanded the home side. We'll never come close to filling that on anywhere near a regular basis short of consolidating with some of the districts bordering the Gilmer ISD. I wouldn't mind having the Harmony players on our team this season. Would we still be in 4A if we could do that? I think so, just barely.

Let's face it. American society most places outside of Texas does not have much enthusiasm for football anymore. Had you ever told me as a kid that one day the NFL would be on the way out, I"d have probably said "kill me now" or more likely "I'll kill YOU now."

Participation in the south (aka, Texas and the SEC and most of the ACC states) is actually up over what it was a decade ago. It's the other states where we are seeing a decline in the sport. It's hit or miss here in Missouri. Some fan bases are pretty rabid still, including a little ol' school named Lamar (Class 2) that will likely win its SEVENTH straight state championship this Thanksgiving. Lamar brings a boatload of fans every week, more so than many Class 6 schools do for the state title game.

The NFL's problem is its predictability from week-to-week and game-to-game. The games are pretty cookie-cutter. There are exceptions, obviously, as there always are, but for the most part, week-in and week-out, you could watch the scores scroll across the bottom of whatever channel you watch, and they're all pretty close to one another, and they're pretty much the same as they were every other week. Mix that with what is a widespread, systemic misinterpretation or gross misunderstanding of the rules — and application of said rules — and the average fan just wants no part of it. Dez did catch it, by the way.
    Texas Forever.

Quote Originally Posted by d0tc0m View Post
    Participation in the south (aka, Texas and the SEC and most of the ACC states) is actually up over what it was a decade ago. It's the other states where we are seeing a decline in the sport. It's hit or miss here in Missouri. Some fan bases are pretty rabid still, including a little ol' school named Lamar (Class 2) that will likely win its SEVENTH straight state championship this Thanksgiving. Lamar brings a boatload of fans every week, more so than many Class 6 schools do for the state title game.

The NFL's problem is its predictability from week-to-week and game-to-game. The games are pretty cookie-cutter. There are exceptions, obviously, as there always are, but for the most part, week-in and week-out, you could watch the scores scroll across the bottom of whatever channel you watch, and they're all pretty close to one another, and they're pretty much the same as they were every other week. Mix that with what is a widespread, systemic misinterpretation or gross misunderstanding of the rules — and application of said rules — and the average fan just wants no part of it. Dez did catch it, by the way.
    He ABSOLUTELY DID! The NFL has lost a lost of its luster to a lot of us folk due to the fact that it has become too political. The players are dictating to the owners what to stand for, or in the latest case, what to kneel for. I don't agree with any of that crap.
    "Kaizen"

P.R.I.D.E.

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

Going to bring this up on show this week..thanks!
    Sideline To Sideline Show Each Week at https://lonestargridiron.com/categor...-to-sideline//

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Txbroadcaster View Post
    Going to bring this up on show this week..thanks!
    If you do cut that part out for me and send a link. I'm sure I will po a bunch of folks
    Originally posted by Ranger Mom
    Umm...what is a sweet beaver??
    the best kind???