Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pleasant Grove

11 50.00%
  • Gilmer

11 50.00%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    All-American

Pleasant Grove caused Gilmer to lose a district game at home for probably the first time this century. I don't recall another one. I think there might have been a loss to Spring Hill in 2000 at home, but I'm not sure they were in our district that year. They probably were, though.

The Hawks have a bigger and more athletic team than ours, if you can believe it. I noticed that even during 7 on 7. As Grant Goodwin has said, "they have some inner-city now."

I felt the whole time that everything would have to go right for Gilmer to pull out a win and a couple of things didn't, so we lost.

This'll be the first time we won't win our district since 2013. That year we went out in the third round. That sounds about right for this season as well. I just don't know who'll be our "Argyle" yet in the third round. I very much doubt we'll make it to the quarterfinals for a rematch against the Hawks. Anything's possible, though.

D2 Regions 2 and 4 are gonna be fun to watch come playoff time.
    424-100-3 (80.74% win percentage) Highest winning percentage in the state

9 straight Region III Finals '11-'19
    56 consecutive district game wins '09-'20 (88-1 in district since 2003)
    37 consecutive non-losing seasons '84-'20

4 Championships - 1986, 1987, 2015, 2016
    8 State Finals - 1986, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
    9 Semifinals - 1986, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2005, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
    14 Quarterfinals - 1986, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2005, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
    31 Playoff Appearances

Well dang. PG must be the real deal this year.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Aesculus gilmus View Post
    Pleasant Grove caused Gilmer to lose a district game at home for probably the first time this century. I don't recall another one. I think there might have been a loss to Spring Hill in 2000 at home, but I'm not sure they were in our district that year. They probably were, though.

The Hawks have a bigger and more athletic team than ours, if you can believe it. I noticed that even during 7 on 7. As Grant Goodwin has said, "they have some inner-city now."

I felt the whole time that everything would have to go right for Gilmer to pull out a win and a couple of things didn't, so we lost.

This'll be the first time we won't win our district since 2013. That year we went out in the third round. That sounds about right for this season as well. I just don't know who'll be our "Argyle" yet in the third round. I very much doubt we'll make it to the quarterfinals for a rematch against the Hawks. Anything's possible, though.

If the bracket holds true to last year, third round will likely be whoever wins District 5 - probably Celina or Melissa.
    Texas Forever.

PG has made the step above and beyond, to go into Gilmer and steal a big WIN! Wwow!
    ...the strong do what they want, and the weak endure what they must.....

All-American
    Blog Entries

I listened to the last 4 mins. when I got home......it must have been a real classic. After Gilmer takes a 4 point lead with only 3 min. and change left, PG marches down the field converting 3rd and longs on 3 different times, then hits a perfectly thrown pass over the middle for the TD with only 36 secs. left to take the lead again by 3 pts. Gilmer uses it's 3 timeouts after a touchback on the kickoff to march all the way to the PG 14 yd line, but with only 5 secs left, they elect to take the 31 yd field goal to tie it up......they have a very good kicker. The kick goes wide right and PG celebrates.
    Last edited by regaleagle; 10-14-2017 at 09:25 AM.
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by bobcat1 View Post
    You bring it on your self!
    I am just a nice guy trying to spread some TXHSFB knowledge..nothing more.
    Sideline To Sideline Show Each Week at https://lonestargridiron.com/categor...-to-sideline//

All-American

Missed opportunities again. Two picks inside the red zone. We had our chances.......but, PG is very very good. I predict us to go 11-3. We will lose to PG again. We can't stop that and I doubt we will score that many next time. Hopefully we at least get a chance. I believe PG is good enough to win it all.
    Originally posted by Ranger Mom
    Umm...what is a sweet beaver??
    the best kind???

All-American

Stats: http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools...ball/stats.htm

Poppy only had one interception. The other one was called back and I'm not sure it was in the red zone to begin with. Poppy played a helluva game IMO.

Poppy is not our problem. We don't emphasize defense in Gilmer. Never have and I assume we never will.

This is why we have to outscore everybody.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Aesculus gilmus View Post
    Stats: http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools...ball/stats.htm

Poppy only had one interception. The other one was called back and I'm not sure it was in the red zone to begin with. Poppy played a helluva game IMO.

Poppy is not our problem. We don't emphasize defense in Gilmer. Never have and I assume we never will.

This is why we have to outscore everybody.
    No, and I never meant to say that. It's just the missed chances that bother me.......... because I know we are only good for a couple stops a game on defense. Poppy played his heart out. He was not our issue. PG offense was our issue. They are very talented. Offense and defense lines are huge and athletic. They will be a tough out by anyone.
    the best kind???

All-American

Gilmer folks, my apologies for this question, but it is out of genuine curiosity:

Is attendance down at home games for you guys? Apart from the Carthage game, every film I watch of the Buckeyes shows A LOT of empty seats on the home side. I was very shocked, watching the PG film at how starkly void the home bleachers appeared. And this was a pretty big game. Again, no disrespect intended at all, just curious.
    Texas Forever.

Quite simply, we got beat by the better team. We played a whole lot better offensively than we have all year, but it wasn't enough. PG was just bigger, stronger, more talented (did I just say that?), better coached, and definitely hungrier than we were. Somebody is going to have to have a really strong defense to stop them. That is something we've never had this century. We've been "good enough" at times on defense because our offense can score lots of points, but hold us under 40 points and chances are really good that you will beat us.

Even though we lost, I am encouraged by the performance of our offense. The receivers were making ridiculous catches, even with the overly physical style of PG's DBs. They got called for a few PIs (most of those times our receivers caught the ball anyway), but that's their style, and as the game went on the refs overlooked a LOT that could've been called. That's good coaching. They established the physicality. I did not like the fact that the officials would not call the obvious taunting, though. That's classless, and I don't feel there's a need for any of that.

I really question the football IQ of the PG fans, too. They were really clueless about the rules of the game. It was a BIG win for their program, and the Hawks just wanted it more.

Until we can learn how to play DEFENSE in Gilmer, we will always keep falling short of our potential. Oh, well, at least some of the Buckeye fans are on the same page as I am. DEFENSE used to be something we were extremely proud of in Buckeyeland. Now it's offense. Why can't it be BOTH?
    "Kaizen"

".......offense wins games, but DEFENSE wins championships!"

P.R.I.D.E.

Gilmer Buckeyes -State Champions:

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

All-American

Yes it is and it's very disappointing. I made a comment about it after the Nac game on the Buckeyes Facebook page and my ears got burnt!!!. People whining about the reserved seating. The folks that have those tickets won't come to the dang games. May have been more from Txk than from Gilmer.
    the best kind???

All-American

Waterboy......what your thoughts on #2 Morgan Lusty. That kid got some different level skills!!!!
    the best kind???

Quote Originally Posted by d0tc0m View Post
    Gilmer folks, my apologies for this question, but it is out of genuine curiosity:

Is attendance down at home games for you guys? Apart from the Carthage game, every film I watch of the Buckeyes shows A LOT of empty seats on the home side. I was very shocked, watching the PG film at how starkly void the home bleachers appeared. And this was a pretty big game. Again, no disrespect intended at all, just curious.
    All of those empty seats are pre-sold reserved seats. The thing about reserved seating is getting enough seats side by side for each party. There will always be gaps in the seating. For the most part, though, most of those seats are bought by people that rarely show up, and that is sad. The home side seats about 4,000 (I think), but probably 2/3s of the seating is reserved. It seems the REAL fans are the ones without the reserved seats. If I can't make it to a game, I usually give my tickets away to friends. Sometimes those friends don't even sit in my seats, which are very good ones.
    "Kaizen"

".......offense wins games, but DEFENSE wins championships!"

P.R.I.D.E.

Gilmer Buckeyes -State Champions:

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II