View Poll Results: Who wins?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pleasant Grove

11 50.00%
  • Gilmer

11 50.00%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Pleasant Grove (5-0) at Gilmer (4-1)

It don't get no bigger than this as a district opener. Pleasant Grove looks like the real deal, and has been spanking everybody they play. Can the Buckeyes protect their house, or will the Hawks be too much?

I think turnovers will be the key. If the Buckeyes don't turn the ball over more than a couple of times, cut down on penalties, and can get a few stops, they win. If not, the Hawks will be too much.

Can somebody please add a poll? I didn't see that option when entering.
    "Kaizen"

".......offense wins games, but DEFENSE wins championships!"

P.R.I.D.E.

Gilmer Buckeyes -State Champions:

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

All-American

Gilmer until somebody proves me wrong--If you want to be the man you got to beat the man...

Quote Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
    Gilmer until somebody proves me wrong--If you want to be the man you got to beat the man...
    agreed
    Go Steers!

I agree with both of y'all. I think Pleasant Grove might just have the team this year from the looks of it. I would still give Gilmer the slight edge, but they will have to be well prepared, and execute accordingly. I have been impressed with what the Hawk defense has done, and their offense looks very efficient, too.

The Buckeyes have had a propensity to turn the ball over a LOT. If they can start getting that corrected, I think they be a tough out for anybody. The Black Flag defense will certainly have their hands full with the Hawk's massive O-line. It's simple, really, if the Buckeyes can avoid having too many turnovers, and the Black Flag defense can get some critical stops, the Buckeyes will win.
    "Kaizen"

P.R.I.D.E.

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

Starter

Gilmer wins this one just because that is all Gilmer ever does, and that is win! Pleasant Grove has a great team and probably the second best in all of Region II but unfortunately they are playing the best in Region II.

All-American

Hawks can win this game if they force turnovers. They may not even have to force them. Gilmer is very prone to turning the ball over this season. Bux don't have the defense to stay in games the way they did in 2015 when they came from way behind to edge out PG in bi-district.

Starter

I am not sure this game even matters as the real showdown will be when these two play each other in the Quarter Final match up later on in the playoffs.

Default Pleasant Grove (5-0) at Gilmer (4-1)

Reset and merged to add a poll
    424-100-3 (80.74% win percentage) Highest winning percentage in the state

9 straight Region III Finals '11-'19
    56 consecutive district game wins '09-'20 (88-1 in district since 2003)
    37 consecutive non-losing seasons '84-'20

4 Championships - 1986, 1987, 2015, 2016
    8 State Finals - 1986, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
    9 Semifinals - 1986, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2005, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
    14 Quarterfinals - 1986, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2005, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
    31 Playoff Appearances

Letterman

Quote Originally Posted by waterboy View Post
    I agree with both of y'all. I think Pleasant Grove might just have the team this year from the looks of it. I would still give Gilmer the slight edge, but they will have to be well prepared, and execute accordingly. I have been impressed with what the Hawk defense has done, and their offense looks very efficient, too.

The Buckeyes have had a propensity to turn the ball over a LOT. If they can start getting that corrected, I think they be a tough out for anybody. The Black Flag defense will certainly have their hands full with the Hawk's massive O-line. It's simple, really, if the Buckeyes can avoid having too many turnovers, and the Black Flag defense can get some critical stops, the Buckeyes will win.
    Shouldn't it be renamed the WHITE Flag defense, since it has SURRENDERED so many points?

The guys say they have had good practices this week...seemed to be focused...definitely not taking PG for granted...I think they will be ready
    buckeyebob

All-American

When Celina played PG in the Region II semifinals last year, the Hawks gave the Bobcats the most physical showdown they'd had in a while. By all accounts, PG is even better this year — more physical, more speed, more of a passing game, more focus, more everything. Their defense got after the Bobcats for four quarters, and made establishing any kind of drive very difficult. And, yet, the Bobcats still found a way to win. I see something similar happening this week. I'd love to be able to pick the Hawks with confidence. But I'm just not there yet. I love what PG is doing, but I still think Gilmer has enough weapons to overcome some of their deficiencies, and to overcome that Hawks defense ... by at least one point.

I could see this being a very ugly game with lots of turnovers and lots of changes of possession. And I could see all the PG folks having a legitimate argument at the end of this game that they should have won it, or that they let this one slip away, because I think Gilmer pulls it out on a last-gasp miracle drive down the field by Poppy Brown.
    Texas Forever.

Quote Originally Posted by griff View Post
    Shouldn't it be renamed the WHITE Flag defense, since it has SURRENDERED so many points?
    While I agree that the Gilmer defense gives up too many points, it seems this year that at least 25% of those points were either given up directly by our offense, or put the defense's back against the wall deep in the red zone. Also, stupid or untimely penalties have kept about half of the remaining drives alive. Take away those two things and the defense is pretty good, first game notwithstanding.
    "Kaizen"

P.R.I.D.E.

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

All-American

What we need is to buy the refs, as people accuse us of anyhow. That way we can have a Yellow Flag Defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Aesculus gilmus View Post
    What we need is to buy the refs, as people accuse us of anyhow. That way we can have a Yellow Flag Defense.
    Yep. Is it just me, or does it seem like we get flagged way more than our opponent in every game, even at home. Most of those flags are legit, I'm sure, but the missed calls against our opponents stands out to me.
    "Kaizen"

P.R.I.D.E.

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

All-American

East Texas fans hate us, statewide fans hate us, the refs hate us........I don't get it. I am a really likeable guy
    Originally posted by Ranger Mom
    Umm...what is a sweet beaver??
    the best kind???