Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    All-American

Quote Originally Posted by lostaussie View Post
    Just a question. Are any downlowers planning on this Friday and Gilmer Saturday?

Count me in. If anyone is a pilot, has a private jet and the capacity to come to Springfield, MO and pick me and my 2-year-old and 1-year-old. Both have their shots and are well behaved, mostly.
    Texas Forever.

Practice Squad

You need to check the new rules at Traylor Stadium before you drive there.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and choose ...... Wiley. As much as I like Argyle I think Wylie wins. Call me an Idiot but that is my gut instinct.

All-American
    Blog Entries

I'm really excited to see this game.....and just to be there for this home opener against those pesky Wyliedawgs, Lol. They are well-coached and have an awful good program, depth and bring a physical game with them. They usually have several outstanding athletes on the team.....this year it's Cason Grant. It will be fun watching how he defends against Argyle's passing attack and who he covers. When he's carrying the rock, I'ma hopin' our Boyz will be able to fill those holes and stop him from breaking off some big ones. I'm really lookiing forward to this battle tomorrow night......a home game and all the excitement attached to it against such a quality opponent. Celina was a big one last week, too......but that game was in Celina. It's just more exciting when the game is in your own house......know what I mean???
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

All-American

You look at Grant and he's not very impressive--5'10", maybe 150 dripping wet.... but the kid is an absolute baller. Very good speed, very elusive, excellent football IQ. 2 year starter at DB, very good receiver and a surprisingly good RB despite his size. Reminds me a lot of a kid from Argyle 3-4 years ago (can't remember his name). He has already committed to Mississippi State. Is also a track and soccer standout.

All-American
    Blog Entries

How many out there think that Argyle will score 42 pts. by halftime.....they've done it in all 3 games so far. Just to let you know.....I don't. I'm looking for Wylie to have the best defense Argyle has seen so far this season. If Argyle gets to 35 for the game, I think they will be the winner. Wylie will need some turnovers and quick scores to put that many on the board. If Wylie contains Argyle's quick strikes and long balls, then this could keep the score lower and burn up clock. I figure Coach Sandifer will try to slow down the Eagles and burn as much clock as possible. If Argyle jumps out to a 2 or 3 td lead, Wylie will be forced to go to the air against Argyle's secondary. The Eagles D is very good at rushing the qb. The ground and pound game would most definitely be in Wylie's best interest......to burn clock and play keep away from the Argyle offense. Argyle is gonna score when they have the ball.....at least on better than 50% of their possessions, IMO. Limiting Argyle's possessions should be one of the keys to the game for Wylie.
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by regaleagle View Post
    How many out there think that Argyle will score 42 pts. by halftime.....they've done it in all 3 games so far. Just to let you know.....I don't. I'm looking for Wylie to have the best defense Argyle has seen so far this season. If Argyle gets to 35 for the game, I think they will be the winner. Wylie will need some turnovers and quick scores to put that many on the board. If Wylie contains Argyle's quick strikes and long balls, then this could keep the score lower and burn up clock. I figure Coach Sandifer will try to slow down the Eagles and burn as much clock as possible. If Argyle jumps out to a 2 or 3 td lead, Wylie will be forced to go to the air against Argyle's secondary. The Eagles D is very good at rushing the qb. The ground and pound game would most definitely be in Wylie's best interest......to burn clock and play keep away from the Argyle offense. Argyle is gonna score when they have the ball.....at least on better than 50% of their possessions, IMO. Limiting Argyle's possessions should be one of the keys to the game for Wylie.

You hit the nail on the head, Regal.

I think Wylie's defense will be fine. And I DO think the Bulldogs keep Argyle from reaching 42 points by halftime ... but not for the game. I just think the Eagles have way too many weapons on offense. Honestly, they remind me of the 2014 Gilmer team, in terms of just how many points of attack they have on that side of the ball. You can have a good defense, a really good defense, and still give up buckets of points to an offense like what Argyle has this year.

I look for this game to be similar to the Celina game, in all honesty. I think Wylie can make it close in the end, simply because they have some great kids and a hall of fame coach. I think Argyle wins by a couple of scores, but is in control of the game pretty much from the very start, and probably leads by at least three scores at some point. It'll be hard-fought, and hard-hitting, just like last week. But, in the end, there's just too much Argyle.
    Texas Forever.

All-American

Good points all. These teams and coaching staffs know each other well. Wylie physically dominated a good Argyle team at the point of attack last year and ended their unbeaten season. This year's Eagle team is better than last year's. Wylie is not as big or physical up front as last year on either side of the ball but they still play hard and are fundamentally sound.
    I think the determining factors are:
    Wylie is beat up with our starting QB, FB (huge part of our O), top WR and some O-lineman out with injuries. Not an excuse just fact.
    Game is in Argyle and they have revenge on their mind, just like Wylie did last year after the Eagles knocked them out in the 2015 Semifinals.
    520 mile road trip and having to play hard to the last minute last week and now following that up with a 380 mile round tripper this week to face a fired up Eagle team.
    Eagles strong favorites in this one...

All-American
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
    Good points all. These teams and coaching staffs know each other well. Wylie physically dominated a good Argyle team at the point of attack last year and ended their unbeaten season. This year's Eagle team is better than last year's. Wylie is not as big or physical up front as last year on either side of the ball but they still play hard and are fundamentally sound.
    I think the determining factors are:
    Wylie is beat up with our starting QB, FB (huge part of our O), top WR and some O-lineman out with injuries. Not an excuse just fact.
    Game is in Argyle and they have revenge on their mind, just like Wylie did last year after the Eagles knocked them out in the 2015 Semifinals.
    520 mile road trip and having to play hard to the last minute last week and now following that up with a 380 mile round tripper this week to face a fired up Eagle team.
    Eagles strong favorites in this one...
    Sorry to hear about all the injuries over in Wylie so early in the season to key players. The upside is the depth that Wylie has as one of the larger 4A schools. Players on the roster may number about the same as some other teams, but quality of those players I believe is much better at Wylie and other large schools in 4A with a quality football program(Stephenville). But we all know and recognize that Wylie is one of the very best programs in 4A in football......and has a depth of talent waiting in the wings. I'm not sure the same could be said for Argyle......next man up......and not suffer from the injuries.......except for this year. This year Argyle seems to be very deep in talent.......even at qb and the other skill positions. Even though Argyle's D-line is smaller than in years past......I truly believe this group will blend into a very formidable unit and become as good as some of our defenses in the past. Add that into the mix with Argyle's depth and offensive firepower this season......looks like this could very well be Argyle's very best team ever.....so far. Maybe not as many talented atheletes as in some previous years......but an overall better team with lots of depth. And most definitely the best qb Argyle has ever had, IMHO. This is why I'm really excited about this year's team. I think d0tc0m said it best.......Argyle's ceiling is very high on the improvement side with this bunch.....because of quality and depth of quality.

All-American
    Blog Entries

To continue this thought......naturally all teams lose some strength when one of its key players is lost to injury, but it really helps to have the depth and quality on the bench when that happens. With this thought in mind, I believe these early season injuries Wylie has suffered will not negatively impact their team as much as it would if those injuries happened to other teams they play......and the same can be said this year about Argyle. Part of having a successful season in football is very often determined by how healthy the starters remain throughout the season. The other part is having depth on the bench ready to fill the voids. I look for Wylie to still give Argyle a very tough battle tonite......even with the injuries to their key starters. They have a great program, depth, and great coaching.....everything that makes a team very competitive in football.

All-American

...anytime Wylie and Argyle square off it is special, be it football, baseball, basketball, volleyball, marching band, UIL events (you get the idea ). Good luck to both teams and hope both come out of this one with no serious injuries. Good thing about our injuries so far (if their is such thing) is that as far as I know none are season ending--all should be back by playoffs. Even if we come up short tonight we will be a force in the playoffs. I truly expect a rematch in late November.

Junior Varsity

Crickets

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Crickets
    Is it 35-0 at halftime? Wow sounds like Argyle putting on a show. Don't see too many teams beating up on Wylie like that. Impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgs View Post
    Is it 35-0 at halftime? Wow sounds like Argyle putting on a show. Don't see too many teams beating up on Wylie like that. Impressive.
    I'll take my crow now so it's not overcooked.

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by bobcat1 View Post
    I'll take my crow now so it's not overcooked.
    Haha. Me too!