Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    All-American

Default Game of the Week, Part 2--Wylie @ Argyle

Argyle looking very formidable in all phases of the game--big and strong lines, have Williams back to tote the rock, throwing the ball well, and like all Coach Rogers teams playing aggressive and fundamental defense. They look to have no visible weaknesses and are 3-0 including a solid win over a very good Celina team. They also are playing at home and have the revenge factor as Wylie knocked them out in the Regional Semifinals last year.
    Wylie comes in 2-1 after playing 2 big 5A teams the last 2 weeks. Defeating Lubbock Monterey at home and dropping a 24-23 heartbreaker on the road at Denison. Wylie is beat up with several key players out with injuries including starting QB Sam King though backup Tyler O'Conner played very well Friday in the loss. Wylie's defense is very solid and can probably keep us in any game as long as the offense can give them a rest. RB, WR, Slot, Return Man, K and bus driver Cason Grant is a threat to take it to the house on any play.
    Both teams have great coaching staffs, strong winning traditions and great fan bases.
    Should be a good one but if I'm honest will have to give the edge to Argyle. Very good chance these teams will meet again in the playoffs.

All-American

Argyle by 28.

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
    Argyle looking very formidable in all phases of the game--big and strong lines, have Williams back to tote the rock, throwing the ball well, and like all Coach Rogers teams playing aggressive and fundamental defense. They look to have no visible weaknesses and are 3-0 including a solid win over a very good Celina team.
    I've seen this several times on this board. What make Celina a very good team? They won a close game with an average Princeton team. They got beat by a team Gilmer beat by 53. Gilmer put up a 60 piece, and Celina put up 9 points.

IMO Argyle allowing 34 points to Celina is suspect. I think Princeton also allowed 34 points to Celina. I wouldn't count AW out of this game. I think some might be overstating how good Argyle really is. Looks like they had problems stopping the run. I know AW can run the ball. This should be a close game. I'll take AW in a upset.

Always bet on a coach named Todd😎

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgs View Post
    I've seen this several times on this board. What make Celina a very good team? They won a close game with an average Princeton team. They got beat by a team Gilmer beat by 53. Gilmer put up a 60 piece, and Celina put up 9 points.

IMO Argyle allowing 34 points to Celina is suspect. I think Princeton also allowed 34 points to Celina. I wouldn't count AW out of this game. I think some might be overstating how good Argyle really is. Looks like they had problems stopping the run. I know AW can run the ball. This should be a close game. I'll take AW in a upset.

Is it possible that Princeton has a decent team? And is it also possible that LC has a good team? And is it possible that Celina had several key starters out against LC? And is it possible that LC then had half its team out against Gilmer ... who, as it turns out, is also a really good team that LC didn't matchup with as well as they did Celina? And then is it possible that Celina got some key starters back - albeit at about 80% or less - and played much better against Argyle? And is it possible that Celina can have success against Argyle, even in a loss, and it says more about how a young, but talented Celina team is developing than it does about how suspect the Eagles are?

Look, the truth is, Celina didn't play a great game against Argyle, and Argyle didn't play a great game against Celina. Both teams made a ton of mistakes and blew opportunities. But both took some heavy weight shots at one another. Both teams slugged it out for four quarters. Argyle was never not in control of the game. But Celina fought their tails off and never let Argyle run away with it ... quite the contrary, actually. So when people are saying this is a good Celina team, what they're saying is this team is pretty young in some key spots, and this team is still finding its way a bit. But this is a Celina team that has a high ceiling - much higher than last year - and a group that has a team-first personality, is filled with good kids that work hard every week and is a team that is improving from week to week and will be playing post-Thanksgiving.
    Texas Forever.

Practice Squad

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgs View Post

Of course you will.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Seeing as some of the players for Argyle do read this forum.......we do appreciate the bulletin board material. Beyond that......Dawgs is absolutely correct that Argyle gave up a ton of yardage on the ground to Celina. Naturally, that's definitely cause for some concern to the Argyle coaching staff. Dawgs is also correct in his conclusion that since Wylie is predominantly a run first offense.....that this game could be very close. I tend to agree with those statements.....Wylie is a very quality opponent and a very physical one. Argyle's D line is not as big as in past years......it puts more pressure on the linebackers and secondary to support the run defense. My inclination is that Argyle's offense is so potent that it gives the defense plenty of room for improvement. Overall, Argyle's defense is good, but the line is seriously outweighed by most opponents' O-line. It wasn't a problem against Lovejoy, but against Celina it was. Celina is a predominantly run first, 2nd, and 3rd down offense, Lol. I would say Wylie is very similar.....big and physical upfront with good rb's. I'm hoping to see some improvement this week in the run defense against a similar offense in many ways. I agree that this game could be closer than most think. I have not forgotten that Wylie's strength is it's defense. You do the math.

All-American

Nice evaluation regal... should be a great barometer for both teams. Our O and D-lines are noticeably smaller than the last couple of years when we played y'all in the Semifinals and Quarterfinals. Similar to your description of your defense also, line is smaller but we have very good LB's and DB's to clean it up. Overall the defense is the strength of this Wylie team. Offense is a work in progress but has shown flashes of brilliance. Losing our starting QB and several other key offensive players has been a blow but it's 'next man up'.
    With our O somewhat depleted and playing at your place, I'll pick the Eagles by 10. If both teams are healthy and playing on a neutral field the outcome could be very different...

All-American

Argyle's defensive line may not have size, but they are very quick off the ball and are technically sound. They get upfield pretty well, which caused some major problems for Celina's pass protection/passing game. The Eagles had pressure in the backfield on every single drop-back, it seemed. And they literally brought pressure from somewhere on every single snap. And if we lined up in a full-house formation, Argyle brought the house and the neighbors' houses too. In the run game, though, some of that was negated - though, not all, as Argyle's d-line still played fairly well - as Celina's big offensive linemen were able to just lean on Argyle's d-line and outman them a bit, creating some running lanes for our QB and RBs. Argyle's LBs and secondary are so fast, though, that those running lanes closed very quickly. The Eagles will need to do a better job of tackling against the Bulldogs this week, in my opinion, as Celina runners often got away from the first contact last week.

I'm sure Abilene Wylie will be able to move the ball a little bit against Argyle. But, I just don't know if the Bulldogs will have nearly enough defense to stop the Eagles' onslaught. There are just so many dang weapons spread out across the field that someone isn't going to be accounted for on every single play. With Williams in the backfield, the run game is a threat on every single snap, and he's also a good pass-catcher. Then you've got loads of speed and clean route-runners in Estrada, Nanny, McCollum, Lang and a host of other supporting cast members at the receiver spots for Copeland to choose from. And if you don't have a spy on Copeland, he'll tuck the ball and run, and the boy can move. He's elusive and very tough to bring down in the open field. He beat Celina on a pair of TD runs, and made several other scampers that kept drives alive that often resulted in points. He's pretty smart, too. Even when we got pressure on him, he didn't really panic and make any terrible decisions. Maybe one or two and that's about it. He'll take a sack if he has to and live to see another down, because he knows the offense has big-play potential that can overcome any down-and-yardage situation.

For Wylie, they'll have to play mistake free to win this game. Argyle is going to score buckets of points. But if Wylie can grind out some long drives and get some scores, they can negate the Argyle offense just a bit. But the Bulldogs cannot afford any kind of drive-killing penalties, because if they get into any 1st-and-20s or 2nd-and-20s like Celina did waaaaayyyy too many times, Argyle will bring the house and make it a quick three-and-out for the Wylie offense. And a few three-and-outs on offense will cause the defense to get gassed early against a relentless Eagles attack that has a much higher tempo than some of the Argyle teams of recent memory.
    Texas Forever.

Practice Squad

Argyle by 21

Junior Varsity

Dotc0m you nailed it. Argyle has got to make that tackle. Celina QB had hands on him all night and he was able to escape with big yards.

All-American

Just a question. Are any downlowers planning on this Friday and Gilmer Saturday?
    Originally posted by Ranger Mom
    Umm...what is a sweet beaver??
    the best kind???

Junior Varsity

I'm going to Argyle game Fri and thinking really hard on going to Gilmer.

Letterman

Parking may be an issue Friday night for the game but plenty of room to stand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All-State

I flipped a coin; it came up AW.
    Rockets Never Quit!