View Poll Results: Who you got?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buckeyes

10 41.67%
  • Dawgs

14 58.33%
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Default Game of the Week (Between the Beasts from the East) Div 1 Carthage & Div 2 Gilmer

This will be a standing room only & a slobber knocker. Saturday night, Jeff Traylor Stadium, Home of the Buckeyes.

On paper & according to the Dawgs, the Buckeyes need to sign surrender papers now to keep from getting crushed.

But, Buckeye Pride and believing in The Process prevent us from doing so. I say the Buckeyes will unleash on the Mighty Dawgs and pull out the rolled up newspaper & spank that butt. Bux are so ready and have the talent to whip up on those puppies.

This will be the place to be Saturday Night for the fight of two teams that have no love lost.

BRING IT ON!!
    buckeyebob

All-American

Easy, easy game of the week. Will be watching this one closely. I think Gilmer gives 'em a better game than most expect, but I do think Carthage is just on another level, as a team, this season.

Dawgs by three scores ... but it'll be much closer than that score will indicate.
    Texas Forever.

All-American

Carthage by 2 TD's.

All-American

Carthage. Gilmer will give them a game, but... Carthage wins.

All-American

According to the website that don't matter........we should all just go to Swanners and get a burger. Sounds like no need to play the game.
    Originally posted by Ranger Mom
    Umm...what is a sweet beaver??
    the best kind???

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by lostaussie View Post
    According to the website that don't matter........we should all just go to Swanners and get a burger. Sounds like no need to play the game.
    Haha. Anytime you go to Gilmer it's going to be a game.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgs View Post
    Haha. Anytime you go to Gilmer it's going to be a game.
    That's what I'm thinking. I think it will be a great atmosphere, a HUGE crowd and a lot of fun. And I darn sure don't think we are get run out of our own house!!!
    Originally posted by Ranger Mom
    Umm...what is a sweet beaver??
    the best kind???

Rightly so. We were not very impressive against the only common opponent. To say our defense stunk it up in Game 1 would be a gross understatement. It looks like we are getting things ironed out. We will definitely have to be at our very best in all facets of the game to have a legit chance to beat Carthage.

I just hope our young men have enough PRIDE and FORTITUDE to give a very good Carthage team all they want, and then some.

The Buckeyes will have to play lights out in all facets of the game to win this one.
    "Kaizen"

".......offense wins games, but DEFENSE wins championships!"

P.R.I.D.E.

Gilmer Buckeyes -State Champions:

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

All-District

That's what I'm thinking. I think it will be a great atmosphere, a HUGE crowd and a lot of fun. And I darn sure don't think we are get run out of our own house!!!
    I will say I think Carthage is the favorite, and if it was a neutral site game I think the outcome would be different. But those Buckeyes show up at home. There is a lot to be said for that. Carthage has a monster of a team, but they are yet to play a complete game. It's not like Carthage is in playoff form and is firing on 12 cylinders. I honestly think Carthage has the more talented team, but thru 3 games I don't think either team is where they want to be. This will be a fun game that helps both teams prepare for district and the playoffs. Always a pleasure playing Gilmer. The last 10 years very rarely is one mentioned without the other in terms of ETX and 4a football.

All-District

I was very impressed with the box score against WH, and a little bit surprised when I looked at it. I thought WH had the best defense Carthags has faced, and the best defense they will see until Kilgore. Carthage had 3 turnovers in the 1st half. Was up 42-20 at the end of the 3rd, and just ran out the clock in the 4th with neither team scoring. So that's 3 TO and only really 3 quarters of action...The Dawgs still put up 600 yards of offense and 42 points against what I think is a playoff 5a team with double Carthage's enrollment. I just don't know how good Carthage offense can be once they get the penelties and turnovers straightened out. Black Flag D better step it up big time. The team that plays the best defense wins this game.

Blog Entries

I will be in attendance. Someone save me a seat on the 50 yard line of Gilmer's side. I will be wearing red with a bulldog foam finger.
    #37 Ranked Downlow Poster- Coach

I was very impressed with the box score against WH, and a little bit surprised when I looked at it. I thought WH had the best defense Carthags has faced, and the best defense they will see until Kilgore. Carthage had 3 turnovers in the 1st half. Was up 42-20 at the end of the 3rd, and just ran out the clock in the 4th with neither team scoring. So that's 3 TO and only really 3 quarters of action...The Dawgs still put up 600 yards of offense and 42 points against what I think is a playoff 5a team with double Carthage's enrollment. I just don't know how good Carthage offense can be once they get the penelties and turnovers straightened out. Black Flag D better step it up big time. The team that plays the best defense wins this game.
    I honestly couldn't agree more. Both offenses have had turnover problems, too. The defensive side of the ball is where the difference will lie.

I just hope the Black Flag is up to the task.
    "Kaizen"

P.R.I.D.E.

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    I will be in attendance. Someone save me a seat on the 50 yard line of Gilmer's side. I will be wearing red with a bulldog foam finger.
    Hahaha..., good luck with that..., unless you're in the pressbox!

On second thought, that's exactly where you'll be. Call you scout?
    "Kaizen"

P.R.I.D.E.

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by waterboy View Post
    I honestly couldn't agree more. Both offenses have had turnover problems, too. The defensive side of the ball is where the difference will lie.

I just hope the Black Flag is up to the task.
    Why do both teams offense do that early in the season?! Both of them will look like world beaters sometimes and other times they look like they have never ran the offense. It's almost every season in Carthage. Only one I can remember it not starting bad was in 2013. Maybe 2009. Gilmer does the same dang thing every year too. One difference I do see is that Carthage almost always straightens it out. There are some years where Gilmer does not. I'm not sure the reason. But seasons like 2013 come to mind. Where Gilmer just never could get out of their own way. If I remember correctly last couple of years was kinda that way in Gilmer. But when Gilmer plays mistake free football they win a state championship. I may be off on that assessment. Just what I see from the outside looking in.

Why do both teams offense do that early in the season?! Both of them will look like world beaters sometimes and other times they look like they have never ran the offense. It's almost every season in Carthage. Only one I can remember it not starting bad was in 2013. Maybe 2009. Gilmer does the same dang thing every year too. One difference I do see is that Carthage almost always straightens it out. There are some years where Gilmer does not. I'm not sure the reason. But seasons like 2013 come to mind. Where Gilmer just never could get out of their own way. If I remember correctly last couple of years was kinda that way in Gilmer. But when Gilmer plays mistake free football they win a state championship. I may be off on that assessment. Just hat I see from the outside looking in.
    The turnover bug has been a problem in Buckeyeland a number of years, and I think if we cut those mistakes just in half we likely have at least one more championship on our resume. To me, the biggest thing that has kept us from having more championships is our less than stellar defensive play. If we start taking more PRIDE on that side of the ball, and get more stops, our offense has been plenty good enough to win.

It's hard to gauge where our defense is at the moment, but it appears they have at least some of the kinks worked out. They will have to limit mistakes on offense AND play lights out on defense against the Dawgs in order to have a chance to win. It's definitely a tall task, but one that "can" happen. Whether it will or not is up to them.
    "Kaizen"

P.R.I.D.E.

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II