Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Argyle v Celina

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    All-American
    Blog Entries

In for a battle......that's exactly the kind of game the Eagles need right now after their start on the season. We have Wylie coming in next Friday in our home opener......so some hard hitting football is definitely on the agenda. I'm quite certain both Argyle and Celina will give it all they have tonight......there's alot of pride at stake here. Last time we played there we lost......I don't think Coach Rodgers enjoyed the short trip back to Argyle.
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

Junior Varsity

Couldn't have said it any better. Celina's QB was so elusive and Argyle couldn't make the tackle on him. Kid is going to be a threat when he gets the passing game going. As for Copeland, the kid is special..... and it helps when you have 5 or 6 different receivers you can throw to. But he can also beat you with his legs. As far as the Argyle Defense, I'm not sure what our deal was last night . We have been so good at stopping the run this year, and last night it looked like we couldn't tackle to save our lives. Secondary played solid. Penalties killed us as well. We just didn't look like ourselves last night on D. Almost looks like we went in underestimating Celina. Good game to watch for sure, but they usually are when these 2 teams play. Celina will be ok.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Couldn't have said it any better. Celina's QB was so elusive and Argyle couldn't make the tackle on him. Kid is going to be a threat when he gets the passing game going. As for Copeland, the kid is special..... and it helps when you have 5 or 6 different receivers you can throw to. But he can also beat you with his legs. As far as the Argyle Defense, I'm not sure what our deal was last night . We have been so good at stopping the run this year, and last night it looked like we couldn't tackle to save our lives. Secondary played solid. Penalties killed us as well. We just didn't look like ourselves last night on D. Almost looks like we went in underestimating Celina. Good game to watch for sure, but they usually are when these 2 teams play. Celina will be ok.

I bet Coach Rodgers wasn't too pleased after last night. Argyle was really one big play away from putting Celina away and they just didn't do it. I wouldn't say Argyle took their foot off the gas pedal, but they just didn't drop the axe when they had the chance. My hunch is we won't see Argyle do that again this year. The Eagles will be going for the jugular as early as they can from here on out. That's bad news for everyone on their schedule from here on out.
    Texas Forever.

Practice Squad

Let me give my insight into coach Rogers (and it's not something I necessarily agree with). When I lived in Argyle my neighbor had a son who played running back. Argyle was ahead in the game and this kid was told by Rogers not to score. Well, when a kid sees nothing but green grass what are they supposed to do? The young man scored a touchdown and Rogers pulled the him for the rest of the game. In his mind he doesn't want to embarrass anyone (and I'm guessing) giving them a reason to have a chip on their shoulder the next time they play. I look at that as being a dangerous philosophy. But, you can't argue with success.

All-American
    Blog Entries

I don't think anyone at this point is questioning the offensive firepower of Argyle. The fact that Celina.....who happens to be very big upfront offensively.....gained so much yardage on the ground against the Argyle defense is cause for some concern. Granted.....Celina is a very good team and does play that pound-it power football as good as anyone.....they've been doing it since Gordon Wood days. I think this game more than anything sent a message to other teams in D-2 that Celina will be a serious contender this season. It appears they have many pieces to go very deep in the playoffs.....even without a prolific passing game. I think Celina has always been better as a running team.....pounding the ball and keeping possession on long drives to wear out the other team's defense. This is their strong suit.....they do it better than just about anybody else when they have the size up front like they do this season. A good qb with legs and speed, a good rb, and then a few receivers to keep the defense honest is the right recipe for wins for Celina....IMHO. They played Argyle tough and never quit. It was a game both teams needed to play at this juncture of the season.
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by regaleagle View Post
    I don't think anyone at this point is questioning the offensive firepower of Argyle. The fact that Celina.....who happens to be very big upfront offensively.....gained so much yardage on the ground against the Argyle defense is cause for some concern. Granted.....Celina is a very good team and does play that pound-it power football as good as anyone.....they've been doing it since Gordon Wood days. I think this game more than anything sent a message to other teams in D-2 that Celina will be a serious contender this season. It appears they have many pieces to go very deep in the playoffs.....even without a prolific passing game. I think Celina has always been better as a running team.....pounding the ball and keeping possession on long drives to wear out the other team's defense. This is their strong suit.....they do it better than just about anybody else when they have the size up front like they do this season. A good qb with legs and speed, a good rb, and then a few receivers to keep the defense honest is the right recipe for wins for Celina....IMHO. They played Argyle tough and never quit. It was a game both teams needed to play at this juncture of the season.
    True on all accounts. What I liked most and I was only listening was the never quit attitude. You can't coach heart. A team has it or it doesn't.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by regaleagle View Post

Good post, regal. I suspect both these teams will be playing post-Thanksgiving.
    Texas Forever.