Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Argyle v Celina

All-American

I don't know Argyle's stats, but I'm sure they had a lot of yards. But I'm very proud of the Bobcats rushing for 418 yards against a good Argyle defense. And that was with backups at the RG and RT spots, a banged up RB and TE, and a still developing passing game. When Celina does figure out its pass protection and allows our young QB to gain some confidence and get some timing and rhythm down with his receivers, we will be a dangerous team. The defense continues to improve each week. They are a tough, tough bunch that bring the hats and are hard on the run.
    Texas Forever.

The Beast is still here and hungry.
    buckeyebob

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by d0tc0m View Post
    Argyle is very, very good. Scary speed and athleticism. Celina has absolutely killed themselves several times, too. The game has been way harder-fought than the score shows.

But folks, in case you didn't know, or hadn't heard ... Argyle is every bit as good as people have said. No. 1 team in the state in 4A, in my opinion. And yes, C&C, before you start playing meteorologist on us, I've seen Carthage, and I know they're good. But Argyle is most athletic group Celina has faced since 2014 Gilmer.
    Argyle played a tough game with Celina. The same Celina that got beat by LC. LC the same team that Gilmer beat by 53. I know Argyle is good, but I'll wait to see more.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgs View Post
    Argyle played a tough game with Celina. The same Celina that got beat by LC. LC the same team that Gilmer beat by 53. I know Argyle is good, but I'll wait to see more.
    That's fair. Celina had several key players out against LC. And LC had about half its team out against Gilmer. Not saying they would've beaten the Buckeyes, just because it was a tough matchup, but it would've been much closer. And lest we forget, Gilmer is a state title favorite in their own right in Div. II.
    Texas Forever.

Starter

Looking at the stats both teams had a total of 470 yards total offense however it looks to me like Argyle had control of this ball game from beginning to end when looking at the scoring as they had a 42 to 20 halftime lead then added another 7 in the third quarter to make it 49 to 22 as Celina got a safety . In the 4th Celina added two touchdowns but was Argyle still playing all their starters then? Just trying to get a better picture of this game since I live to far to attend. One observation is that Celina does not seem to be any threat as a passing team and our pass defense is very vulnerable.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Celina8 View Post
    Looking at the stats both teams had a total of 470 yards total offense however it looks to me like Argyle had control of this ball game from beginning to end when looking at the scoring as they had a 42 to 20 halftime lead then added another 7 in the third quarter to make it 49 to 22 as Celina got a safety . In the 4th Celina added two touchdowns but was Argyle still playing all their starters then? Just trying to get a better picture of this game since I live to far to attend. One observation is that Celina does not seem to be any threat as a passing team and our pass defense is very vulnerable.

Those are the exact observations I'd expect someone to have if they only had stats/boxscore to reference. So I'll try to hit on all these. Argyle had its starters in until the last snap. Celina is susceptible to the pass when the team has a QB like Copeland and a 1/2 dozen legitimate HR threats to choose from on any given play, including his own running abilities, and a very good RB. The Bobcats adjusted very well in the second half to the Eagles' attack. Argyle was in control, you're right, but the game was closer than it appeared at those points. As soon as Argyle looked poised to run away with it, Celina responded and swung momentum back the other way. They never allowed Argyle to relax. Celina had the wheels come off in the first quarter with two turnovers in their own red zone, AND a self-blocked punt returned for a TD. But the Bobcats never hung their head and felt sorry for themselves. They responded with grit and fight, and that's what we didn't see last year's team do, and it's exactly what I wanted to see them do against Argyle. As far as the passing game goes, a lot of credit goes to Argyle. They are so athletic and disciplined in the secondary, they just didn't give our very young QB many options. They also had pressure on us on almost every single snap. We were starting backups at the RG and RT positions, which didn't help, but those kids grew up a ton.

These coming weeks will be spent developing that passing game. Getting the pass protection sorted out, tweaking some personnel, and giving Ross some opportunities to gain some confidence, and get some chemistry/timing with his receivers. One thing is certain, though, Ross is tough as nails and runs the ball very well.
    Texas Forever.

Junior Varsity

Couldn't have said it any better. Celina's QB was so elusive and Argyle couldn't make the tackle on him. Kid is going to be a threat when he gets the passing game going. As for Copeland, the kid is special..... and it helps when you have 5 or 6 different receivers you can throw to. But he can also beat you with his legs. As far as the Argyle Defense, I'm not sure what our deal was last night . We have been so good at stopping the run this year, and last night it looked like we couldn't tackle to save our lives. Secondary played solid. Penalties killed us as well. We just didn't look like ourselves last night on D. Almost looks like we went in underestimating Celina. Good game to watch for sure, but they usually are when these 2 teams play. Celina will be ok.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Couldn't have said it any better. Celina's QB was so elusive and Argyle couldn't make the tackle on him. Kid is going to be a threat when he gets the passing game going. As for Copeland, the kid is special..... and it helps when you have 5 or 6 different receivers you can throw to. But he can also beat you with his legs. As far as the Argyle Defense, I'm not sure what our deal was last night . We have been so good at stopping the run this year, and last night it looked like we couldn't tackle to save our lives. Secondary played solid. Penalties killed us as well. We just didn't look like ourselves last night on D. Almost looks like we went in underestimating Celina. Good game to watch for sure, but they usually are when these 2 teams play. Celina will be ok.

I bet Coach Rodgers wasn't too pleased after last night. Argyle was really one big play away from putting Celina away and they just didn't do it. I wouldn't say Argyle took their foot off the gas pedal, but they just didn't drop the axe when they had the chance. My hunch is we won't see Argyle do that again this year. The Eagles will be going for the jugular as early as they can from here on out. That's bad news for everyone on their schedule from here on out.
    Texas Forever.

Practice Squad

Let me give my insight into coach Rogers (and it's not something I necessarily agree with). When I lived in Argyle my neighbor had a son who played running back. Argyle was ahead in the game and this kid was told by Rogers not to score. Well, when a kid sees nothing but green grass what are they supposed to do? The young man scored a touchdown and Rogers pulled the him for the rest of the game. In his mind he doesn't want to embarrass anyone (and I'm guessing) giving them a reason to have a chip on their shoulder the next time they play. I look at that as being a dangerous philosophy. But, you can't argue with success.

All-American
    Blog Entries

I don't think anyone at this point is questioning the offensive firepower of Argyle. The fact that Celina.....who happens to be very big upfront offensively.....gained so much yardage on the ground against the Argyle defense is cause for some concern. Granted.....Celina is a very good team and does play that pound-it power football as good as anyone.....they've been doing it since Gordon Wood days. I think this game more than anything sent a message to other teams in D-2 that Celina will be a serious contender this season. It appears they have many pieces to go very deep in the playoffs.....even without a prolific passing game. I think Celina has always been better as a running team.....pounding the ball and keeping possession on long drives to wear out the other team's defense. This is their strong suit.....they do it better than just about anybody else when they have the size up front like they do this season. A good qb with legs and speed, a good rb, and then a few receivers to keep the defense honest is the right recipe for wins for Celina....IMHO. They played Argyle tough and never quit. It was a game both teams needed to play at this juncture of the season.
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by regaleagle View Post
    I don't think anyone at this point is questioning the offensive firepower of Argyle. The fact that Celina.....who happens to be very big upfront offensively.....gained so much yardage on the ground against the Argyle defense is cause for some concern. Granted.....Celina is a very good team and does play that pound-it power football as good as anyone.....they've been doing it since Gordon Wood days. I think this game more than anything sent a message to other teams in D-2 that Celina will be a serious contender this season. It appears they have many pieces to go very deep in the playoffs.....even without a prolific passing game. I think Celina has always been better as a running team.....pounding the ball and keeping possession on long drives to wear out the other team's defense. This is their strong suit.....they do it better than just about anybody else when they have the size up front like they do this season. A good qb with legs and speed, a good rb, and then a few receivers to keep the defense honest is the right recipe for wins for Celina....IMHO. They played Argyle tough and never quit. It was a game both teams needed to play at this juncture of the season.
    True on all accounts. What I liked most and I was only listening was the never quit attitude. You can't coach heart. A team has it or it doesn't.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by bobcat1 View Post
    True on all accounts. What I liked most and I was only listening was the never quit attitude. You can't coach heart. A team has it or it doesn't.
    You nailed it, Bobcat. The 2015 squad had it. And this year's team has it. This group is all about the team, and they are playing for one another, and, like you said, you can't coach that. We're gonna be just fine.
    Texas Forever.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by regaleagle View Post

Good post, regal. I suspect both these teams will be playing post-Thanksgiving.
    Texas Forever.