4. Argyle
    5. Waco La Vega
    6. Cuero
    7. Celina
    8. Kennedale
    9. Abilene Wylie
    10. China Spring

All-American

There are 6 or more of these that could probably beat #2 at this point. Maybe not later, but right now I'm pretty sure of it. I also believe we will be much improved in a few weeks.
    Originally posted by Ranger Mom
    Umm...what is a sweet beaver??
    the best kind???

Letterman

Quote Originally Posted by Bosqueville View Post
    1. Carthage (21)
    2. Gilmer
    3. West Orange-Stark
    4. Argyle
    5. Waco La Vega
    6. Cuero
    7. Celina
    8. Kennedale
    9. Abilene Wylie
    10. China Spring
    Is Carthage 2017 better than Carthage 2016?

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePop View Post
    Is Carthage 2017 better than Carthage 2016?
    Yes, and it's not close. But one thing we haven't seen is their heart. 2016 was the weakest team as far as personnel that Carthage has had to win a title, but those boys had heart. The biggest heart of any team Carthage has had. This is the most talent Surratt has had. We will see what their mental make up is in the playoffs. I would expect it to be the same, since we returned so many players. Carthage has 33 seniors. That is a lot of experience from last year carrying over to 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by lostaussie View Post
    There are 6 or more of these that could probably beat #2 at this point. Maybe not later, but right now I'm pretty sure of it. I also believe we will be much improved in a few weeks.
    This is true. I certainly "hope" we get better defensively. Carthage is going to embarrass us at home in a blowout loss. If we don't improve defensively it'll just be another season of "what ifs". It's time to spend some money on a DC at Gilmer, in my opinion. There's absolutely no excuse for the breakdowns in coverage the other night. Once or twice? Maybe. Ten or more? No excuse.

Even though we've won three titles in the last 16 years, been to the finals twice more, etc., our defense, or lack thereof, has always kept us from being even better. It's all about the offense in Gilmer. Has been since 2000.

Bash away.
    "Kaizen"

".......offense wins games, but DEFENSE wins championships!"

P.R.I.D.E.

Gilmer Buckeyes -State Champions:

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

Blog Entries

Kilgore should be in there.
    #37 Ranked Downlow Poster- Coach

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    Kilgore should be in there.
    Because they beat Nac? Lololol
    the best kind???

Blog Entries

Because they beat Nac? Lololol
    Of course. No they are pretty damn good. Offensive line does a good job.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by waterboy View Post
    This is true. I certainly "hope" we get better defensively. Carthage is going to embarrass us at home in a blowout loss. If we don't improve defensively it'll just be another season of "what ifs". It's time to spend some money on a DC at Gilmer, in my opinion. There's absolutely no excuse for the breakdowns in coverage the other night. Once or twice? Maybe. Ten or more? No excuse.

Even though we've won three titles in the last 16 years, been to the finals twice more, etc., our defense, or lack thereof, has always kept us from being even better. It's all about the offense in Gilmer. Has been since 2000.

Bash away.

Your last sentence is the tell. It is all about the offense. And the problem, and I know folks at Gilmer won't want to hear this, but the spread offense is never going to be conducive to a good defense. And, not just the ol' run-of-the-mill spread offense, but the breakneck, NASCAR, pedal-through-the-floorboard style that Gilmer plays. That offense doesn't lead to a lot of ball control drives, but more quick-hit, big-play strikes, which means the defense plays more snaps, and the more snaps a defense plays, the worst it's going to look.

I'm sure I'm wrong, and you guys can all tell me how wrong I am, and I will certainly listen. But with the athletes Gilmer has, there's no reason they shouldn't have an elite defense. But for me, from what I see, there's a direct corollary between the offensive philosophy and the defensive struggles.
    Texas Forever.

QUOTE=coach;1925515]Kilgore should be in there.[/QUOTE]

Here they are....

Others receiving votes: 11, Midlothian Heritage 14. 12, Van 13. 13, Kilgore 8. 14, Sweetwater 2. 15, El Campo 1. 15, Graham 1. 15, Henderson 1.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/...#storylink=cpy
    SWEETWATER

IS GOOD !!!!!!!

All-American

Of course. No they are pretty damn good. Offensive line does a good job.
    Hopefully you know I'm just yanking yo chain.
    the best kind???

Blog Entries

Hopefully you know I'm just yanking yo chain.

Oh I know you are. Hell in the scond half we made them look like a top 3 team.

All-American

Oh I know you are. Hell in the scond half we made them look like a top 3 team.
    Yes I know. Nac contributed to my 8-7 worst in the league picks. I had y'all in a landslide!!!
    the best kind???

Quote Originally Posted by d0tc0m View Post
    Your last sentence is the tell. It is all about the offense. And the problem, and I know folks at Gilmer won't want to hear this, but the spread offense is never going to be conducive to a good defense. And, not just the ol' run-of-the-mill spread offense, but the breakneck, NASCAR, pedal-through-the-floorboard style that Gilmer plays. That offense doesn't lead to a lot of ball control drives, but more quick-hit, big-play strikes, which means the defense plays more snaps, and the more snaps a defense plays, the worst it's going to look.

I'm sure I'm wrong, and you guys can all tell me how wrong I am, and I will certainly listen. But with the athletes Gilmer has, there's no reason they shouldn't have an elite defense. But for me, from what I see, there's a direct corollary between the offensive philosophy and the defensive struggles.
    I would've said the same thing a few years ago, but the last few years haven't been that way at all. Yes, we score a lot of points, but most of the time the drives are consuming 2 to 4 minutes, some drives over 5 minutes as opposed to under 2 minutes previously. That's ample time for the defense to catch their breath and be able to make stops. The defense has gotten worse and worse over the past couple of years, until now I want to call it the "White Flag" defense. It's time for a change in schemes. Even being tired you don't have breakdowns in coverage every play. That's just poor defense. One thing I can say with certainty, though, is we can only get better.
    "Kaizen"

".......offense wins games, but DEFENSE wins championships!"

P.R.I.D.E.

Gilmer Buckeyes -State Champions:

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

All-American

What I have seen in our defensive backfield, is that usually good things happen........when you TURN AROUND and look at the ball. We are plenty good enough to make a play if we look at the play.
    the best kind???