Thread: Story Time

All-American

Default Story Time

Friday night at the LE/Gilmer game I saw and heard something I had never before seen at a football game. In the midst of LE's 25 or so cramps that they got on the field, many of which the coaching staff would wave their arms up and down to signal a "get on the ground" so we can catch our breath, a Buckeye player got an injury. It was not a stop so I can get my breath injury because we had the ball. Anywho, to make a long story longer, the kid was on the 32 about a yard out of bounds. Both teams were lined up to go but the referees had the game stopped because said kid was hurt. After about a minute one of the refs came over to the trainers who were working on him and said, and I quote, "if y'all will DRAG THAT KID back beyond the 35, we can get back to action". Has anyone ever heard a team or trainers told that before?

The rest of the game every time LE had a so-called cramp, Gilmers fans were shouting "drag him off". Not a very good look for our side if you didn't know the whole story.
    Originally posted by Ranger Mom
    Umm...what is a sweet beaver??
    the best kind???

Quote Originally Posted by lostaussie View Post
    Friday night at the LE/Gilmer game I saw and heard something I had never before seen at a football game. In the midst of LE's 25 or so cramps that they got on the field, many of which the coaching staff would wave their arms up and down to signal a "get on the ground" so we can catch our breath, a Buckeye player got an injury. It was not a stop so I can get my breath injury because we had the ball. Anywho, to make a long story longer, the kid was on the 32 about a yard out of bounds. Both teams were lined up to go but the referees had the game stopped because said kid was hurt. After about a minute one of the refs came over to the trainers who were working on him and said, and I quote, "if y'all will DRAG THAT KID back beyond the 35, we can get back to action". Has anyone ever heard a team or trainers told that before?

The rest of the game every time LE had a so-called cramp, Gilmers fans were shouting "drag him off". Not a very good look for our side if you didn't know the whole story.
    It's the L-E way that upsets a lot of people. It happens at every Gilmer / L-E game. When they start getting tired and wanting to catch their breath, a player will fall on the turf with "cramps". After about 15 of these extra time outs it starts getting irritating to some. I've seen it several times where the player that was "cramping" sat out one play and came back in. There were, unfortunately, a couple of real injuries for L-E. As far as I can tell, we didn't have anybody that got seriously injured.
    "Kaizen"

".......offense wins games, but DEFENSE wins championships!"

P.R.I.D.E.

Gilmer Buckeyes -State Champions:

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

Maybe if the Buckeye's would slow down the other team wouldn't score so much.
    Carthage Bulldogs

2008, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2020, 2022

9 X State Football Champs

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by oldtownag View Post
    Maybe if the Buckeye's would slow down the other team wouldn't score so much.
    This is not a bash the Buckeyes thread it's a bash the refs thread
    the best kind???

Quote Originally Posted by lostaussie View Post
    This is not a bash the Buckeyes thread it's a bash the refs thread
    Carthage Bulldogs

2008, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2020, 2022

9 X State Football Champs

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by waterboy View Post
    There were, unfortunately, a couple of real injuries for L-E.
    Yeah, I don't think the Leopard QB was faking his cramp down there at about our 10 yard line. They would have almost surely scored if he had remained in. Instead, the mighty Black (okay, White mostly) Flag got a stop.

All-American

Hijacked!!! Have you ever heard a ref ask a trainer to drag a kid so the game could continue. That is all
    the best kind???

All-American

If that ever happened at one of our games I would probably get tossed. I would tell the ref in no uncertain terms when a kid is injured I am in control and he will be moved when I say he gets moved. Period.
    Actually had a similar situation happen when we were playing in Graham several years back. One of our key players suffered a serious knee injury and the ref instructed me to get him off the field. I told him I would move the player when I was ready. He harassed me on the sideline the rest of the game. Wichita Falls chapter refs are the worst I've seen...