Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    All-American
    Blog Entries

Default Goliad Tigers vs Refugio Bobcats

Both of these teams missed Week 1 of the season due to Hurricane Harvey. Goliad@ Shiner and Refugio@ Hebbronville were both cancelled. This week's matchup is supposed to be at Refugio, but I don't think their stadium and town can sponsor this event yet.......and I'm certainly not sure about Goliad either. It seems that Harvey's path was just north of both of these towns and much destruction took place. I haven't heard where this game will be played......perhaps a neutral site??? If anyone knows.....please post the location of this game for this week. Goliad should be able to give Refugio a very competitive battle this season.......I would not call Refugio a "prohibitive favorite" in this one. According to Maxpreps, Goliad has 23 players on its roster and Refugio has 21 players on its roster......even though Goliad is 3A-D1 and Refugio is 2A-D1 in enrollment. Should be a game worth paying attention to.....a worthy game to start the season off for both schools.
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

All-American
    Blog Entries

I read where Goliad's stadium is relatively intact for football games and Bobcat stadium in Refugio sustained some damage to some bleachers and lighting. Not sure if the lights and electric will be hooked up by Friday in Refugio, but I assume it will be. Looks like Friday Night Lights this week in Bobcat Stadium between Refugio and Goliad. Should be a very exciting battle between two very good squads this season.
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

All-American
    Blog Entries

I'm not quite sure about the history of this game, but I do know that both schools have been playing against each other in football since at least after WWII in the mid-40's. Most likely before that too since these two communities are so old in the state. I would be very interested to learn what year the first meeting was played between these schools and what the final score was.

All-American
    Blog Entries

My brother tells me the mosquitos are a very serious problem right now......you will definitely need some protection on Friday night.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Now I'm finding out from my brother that the game will be played in Goliad on Friday night. Refugio students are attending Goliad schools......Refugio is in shambles. No power there yet.....devastation there. Bum Phillips organization in Berclair cooked 30,000 lbs of meat in a benefit for the Refugio people. They are busing them from Refugio 30 miles to Goliad to Goliad schools for now. H.E.B. took in bunches of trailer trucks with hot meals, water, perishables......anything they need to keep them fed. Refugio needs new power lines and poles. The highest wind in Goliad was clocked at 137 mph....and the wind blew for 2 days steady. Refugio was hit with the strongest winds in the storm......like Rockport. Woodsboro, Refugio, Tivoli, and Bayside all got hammered.