Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wimberley Texans Football 2017

Looking forward to a great season. 2005 , 2011, 2017 ?

The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have..... Vince Lombardi

Interview with coach Warren...

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Tejastrue View Post

Good Lord, that '05 Wimberley squad had a nasty defense. That title game with Gainesville was one of the hardest hitting state championship matches I've ever seen.
    Texas Forever.

All-District
    Blog Entries

Cool video, thanks for sharing. Go Texans!
    The 2006 team wasn't to shabby either.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the clips and walk back into memory lane, Tejas. I'm pulling for you guys to go deep this season......it could be magical, huh?
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

Thanks all.
    I watched the video for the first time right before posting. Man I was pumped. Also I figured WOS87 would enjoy some of the footage.

Letterman

As a fan of one of those playoff opponents (WO-S), it was painful to watch this again. In all my years of following my school's football program, I never saw a game where our defense was pushed around like that. It's the only time in school history that we've allowed more than 50 points in a single contest (even though 14 of them were defensive scores, but still...). That Wimberley team was a fine tuned machine. Many strengths to point out - excellent O-line, an a-BUSE-ive tailback, good team defense, caused lots of turnovers, and an outstanding kicker "to boot." I was at that game and what I remember most that impressed me was 1) the play of the offensive line; 2) Buse's tackle breaking ability; and 3) the defense always seemed to be in the right position for nearly every play. We got out-coached and out-hustled in that game. The Texans earned that victory and they were the best in 2005.

All-District

I somehow found this a couple of weeks ago when Coach Pierce posted it. FWIW, Coach Pierce was my daughter's favorite teacher in 8th (9th?) grade. She came home every day talking about how much she enjoyed his class.

Having said that, my two favorite parts of that season were from the West Columbia game. They had lost 1 game all season and that was to 4A Jaquizz Rogers' team. And we beat them 62-7.

1. Skip to 13:59 to see our first play of the game, where we ran a play that we hadn't run all season. And it went for a TD because our left WR Colin Marburger hustled his butt off to block the safety that had an angle to make the tackle.

2. Skip to 14:40. That was a 4th-18 or something like that play and they tried a trick formation. None of our guys were fooled. Garrett Stephens (?) who led the state in INTs was there to make the pick (even though I was screaming "LET IT DROP") and there were three WC players in position to tackle him. Every one of them got de-cleated. Watching the defense converting to blockers is just amazing. Absurd, even.

I remember telling my wife at halftime that in my entire life, in any sport at any level, I had never seen a team that I was rooting for play more flawlessly. And they kept doing that.

Hondo didn't have a chance the next week. WOS didn't have a chance after that. And neither did Gainesville.

Our 2011 team was great, but that 2005 team just got on a roll where they played nearly perfect every game.

Article from the Austin American Statesman...

http://www.mystatesman.com/sports/hi...izDA84WmygrhJ/

All-District
    Blog Entries

In the statesman question to ponder, "is Jordan Weeks the best quarterback in central Texas"? I don't really know this, but IMO he has the strongest arm for a Wimberley qb since I've been following them. His distance and accuracy is very good but what really amazes me is his bubble screen throws....fast, flat and on a wire. Essential for that particular play. He's come a long way over the last couple of years.

Junior Varsity

Quote Originally Posted by ogg View Post
    In the statesman question to ponder, "is Jordan Weeks the best quarterback in central Texas"? I don't really know this, but IMO he has the strongest arm for a Wimberley qb since I've been following them. His distance and accuracy is very good but what really amazes me is his bubble screen throws....fast, flat and on a wire. Essential for that particular play. He's come a long way over the last couple of years.
    Idk the 2016 district offensive MVP might say otherwise ;P Should be a battle this year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All-District
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 10ForTheWin View Post
    Idk the 2016 district offensive MVP might say otherwise ;P Should be a battle this year!

Uh,,,what? The comparison I've made is with past Wimberley qbs. The only "battle this year" is with your vision.

If I recall, JJ was not the full time starter until week 4 maybe? I know I was a bit critical last year about the Giddings game when I felt the leadership was lacking from both QBs. The game was there for the taking. He has come a long way.

Junior Varsity

Quote Originally Posted by ogg View Post
    Uh,,,what? The comparison I've made is with past Wimberley qbs. The only "battle this year" is with your vision.
    I'm not attacking JJ chill. Calling him the best QB in Central Texas is a lofty opinion, I was just stating he wasn't even the best QB in the district last year (arguably). Don't be so sensitive