Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Practice Squad

Default Hey Carthage, What's Up With This???

Carthage ISD is facing a multi-million budget shortfall this year as the Additional State Aid for Tax Reduction (ASATR) program expires. The ASATR program helped provide additional money to the district following state cuts to education funding about a decade ago, and Carthage ISD's budget still relied heavily on that program.

A state education funding bill signed last week will provide some relief, but Superintendent Glenn Hambrick said the district still is projected to lose around $6 million of its $23 million budget.

Hambrick said district officials are considering increasing the maintenance and operations tax rate to $1.04 per $100 valuation, the maximum rate allowed before a tax ratification election is triggered. The district's current tax rate stands at 90 cents per $100 valuation for maintenance and operations and 24 cents for the debt service budget, for a total tax rate of $1.14 per $100 valuation.

"Obviously if you cut a fourth of your funding, it has a significant impact on your district since 80 percent of your funds or your budget is for personnel," Hambrick said. "You can't operate on a multi-million dollar deficit on a yearly basis or you'll be broke."

The district cut 32 positions this summer, including Police Chief Chris Hardy, a night watchman and one of two people stationed at the high school guard shack. Those eliminated jobs also include some administrative, bus monitor and teacher aide positions — and cuts through attrition. Hambrick said those 32 positions follow 40 more the district has cut in recent years to trim its budget down.

All-American

I'm not from Carthage obviously, but part of the problem is the persistence of low natural gas prices which in turn has probably destroyed their formerly lofty mineral valuations.

Someone from Carthage can elaborate.

All-District

There are a couple problems in this case. The main problem is that Dan Patrick took away the ASTAR funding, which was $6 million for Carthage. We were dependent on this money for our M&O budget. This was due to state wide property tax reduction in 2006. I think everyone thought this supplement would not be taken away. Another problem is since Robin Hood started in 1992, Carthage ISD enrollment has declined making us a property wealthy district due to our wealth per student ratio. The funny thing is that we are in a bind, but sent away $10.5 million for Robin Hood this past year. Our current superintendent has done a great job passing I&S Maintenance bonds over the years to keep some money, but we have still sent a ton of money away. I think $252 million since Robin Hood started. This is ridiculous that we are having budget problems. Then there is the problem with the low oil and gas price, which in turn drops the property values in our district. So there is less tax base. Basically we need our ASTAR money back or we need to stop sending money away to other districts. Our administration is working the problem, but the only way to lower the M&O budget is to cut salaries which make up 85% of the budget. They have made the cuts, but people are not happy. We are going to have to raise our tax rate if they don't give us back some kind of supplement. In all honesty I don't know a lot about all of this. I am sure somebody on this board knows more.

Letterman

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgs View Post
    There are a couple problems in this case. The main problem is that Dan Patrick took away the ASTAR funding, which was $6 million for Carthage. We were dependent on this money for our M&O budget. This was due to state wide property tax reduction in 2006. I think everyone thought this supplement would not be taken away. Another problem is since Robin Hood started in 1992, Carthage ISD enrollment has declined making us a property wealthy district due to our wealth per student ratio. The funny thing is that we are in a bind, but sent away $10.5 million for Robin Hood this past year. Our current superintendent has done a great job passing I&S Maintenance bonds over the years to keep some money, but we have still sent a ton of money away. I think $252 million since Robin Hood started. This is ridiculous that we are having budget problems. Then there is the problem with the low oil and gas price, which in turn drops the property values in our district. So there is less tax base. Basically we need our ASTAR money back or we need to stop sending money away to other districts. Our administration is working the problem, but the only way to lower the M&O budget is to cut salaries which make up 85% of the budget. They have made the cuts, but people are not happy. We are going to have to raise our tax rate if they don't give us back some kind of supplement. In all honesty I don't know a lot about all of this. I am sure somebody on this board knows more.
    We got hit for 3.5 million in cuts, even after we got the money back from the special session.

Dan Patrick has to go. As High School football fans we need to block vote and get his butt out of there in the primary.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgs View Post
    Just to show the Dawgs we care...send us some of the taxable property...we are so poor, we get from those that have...and we will kiss you before the defrocking.
    buckeyebob

Administrator/Owner LH Panther Mom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Leopard4Life View Post

Dan Patrick has to go.
    Amen!
    Quick side! Strong side! Crank up the Machine!

All-American

Dan Patrick... grrrrr. I have voted a straight Republican ticket every year since 1976... until last year. I voted for his Democratic challenger as a protest. Cannot stand that guy. He is on a mission to destroy our public schools. He is a grand-standing, far right courting, phony, holier-than-thou, name changing, hair dying, face-lifted genuine A-hole.

Wow..tell us how you really feel.
    The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have..... Vince Lombardi

Letterman

Quote Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
    Dan Patrick... grrrrr. I have voted a straight Republican ticket every year since 1976... until last year. I voted for his Democratic challenger as a protest. Cannot stand that guy. He is on a mission to destroy our public schools. He is a grand-standing, far right courting, phony, holier-than-thou, name changing, hair dying, face-lifted genuine A-hole.
    The secret is to vote him out in the Primaries. I'll be posting on her when that @55-hat is up for re-election.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Leopard4Life View Post
    The secret is to vote him out in the Primaries. I'll be posting on her when that @55-hat is up for re-election.

"GO MEAN GREEN"
    When we're bad, we're good. When we're good, we're BAD !
    767-380-38

Quote Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
    I been trying to tell people for years that Dan Patick is out to destroy our public school system. Vote him and his special interest cronies out.
    "GO MEAN GREEN"
    767-380-38

Administrator/Owner LH Panther Mom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Old Green View Post
    I been trying to tell people for years that Dan Patick is out to destroy our public school system. Vote him and his special interest cronies out.
    So have I! When he tried to get the cheating Cornerstone Church school into the UIL, I knew he needed to be out.
    Quick side! Strong side! Crank up the Machine!

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Old Green View Post
    Your problem is way bigger than Patrick. The directive has gone out from the top. You must obey your cult leader Trump on this. "What the hell do you have to lose?" as he asked those in the inner cities during the campaign.

http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/chart...cist_past.html

Quote Originally Posted by Aesculus gilmus View Post
    Your problem is way bigger than Patrick. The directive has gone out from the top. You must obey your cult leader Trump on this. "What the hell do you have to lose?" as he asked those in the inner cities during the campaign.

That's true too !

"GO MEAN GREEN"
    767-380-38

Quote Originally Posted by Aesculus gilmus View Post

Nope... the problem with public education in Texas being f'd up , predates trump. The state government ultimately has the final say in education. So keep the blame where it belongs.

"THE HARDER YOU WORK, THE HARDER IT IS TO SURRENDER"-VL