Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-American
    Blog Entries

Cool Meanwhile.......I'm back in Argyle

Well......I'm not really back living IN Argyle, but very closeby. I moved back to the area last month.....I'm living in Corinth.....just south of Denton. It's the home of the Ryan Raiders......so look out folks. Seems like everywhere I live the local team wins. I totally expect both Ryan and Argyle to win anyway.......but maybe they'll both win their way to back to Jerryworld this year. Denton Guyer is also next door on the other side of 35, and they are in 6A. So it looks like we have 4A, 5A, and 6A possibilities this year......but not so much for Guyer this season, I think. I guess Ponder would be the closest 3A to me, Huh? I think they have a football team now......maybe their 2nd or 3rd year??? I'll have to look them up in FNF. I hear Gunter may be a force this season too. Anyhoo......I sure am glad to be back home......it feels good. Denton County has been my home for 20 yrs of my adult life......just to let everybody know. GO EAGLES!!! GET "EM RAIDERS!!! There's a definite smell in the air.....Texas High School Football is here!!!
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

Junior Varsity

Welcome home

Good to see you back

You need a TAPPS...we have Liberty Christian Week 3 in Gilmer...you need a road trip
    buckeyebob

Letterman

Are you going to the Tom Landry Classic on Sept 2nd?

All-American
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Leopard4Life View Post
    Are you going to the Tom Landry Classic on Sept 2nd?
    I haven't been to the new stadium in Allen yet.......I'll have to put that on the schedule. I don't guess I'll need some advance tickets, huh?
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyebob View Post
    Good to see you back

You need a TAPPS...we have Liberty Christian Week 3 in Gilmer...you need a road trip
    Does this also mean taps with a bugle for Liberty Christian in this game, Lol???

Quote Originally Posted by regaleagle View Post
    Does this also mean taps with a bugle for Liberty Christian in this game, Lol???
    We had guys all over this 1/2 of Texas trying to fill our dance card...we had to make the trip last year & we will show them a good time here. God excuse for a road trip.

Like Prestonwood, they won't be renewing the contract...the Metroplex is about the only fertile ground for pre-season...Kilgore & Henderson will scrimmage us...our preseason is Liberty Eylau, Center, Carthage, L.C., & Nacogdoches

We miss Argyle...win or loose...always a good game.
    buckeyebob

Letterman

Quote Originally Posted by regaleagle View Post
    I haven't been to the new stadium in Allen yet.......I'll have to put that on the schedule. I don't guess I'll need some advance tickets, huh?
    Safe to say that Allen has enough seats to squeeze Lovejoy and Argyle in... Last year they didn't open the upper deck on the home side, and they haven't opened it for any 5A or below home games. A few years ago I watched Lake Dallas play Lone Star and it was packed (standing room only), but the upper deck was closed. Also be prepared to pay for parking. Allen hosts games for other schools, but their boosters are there collecting parking fees. If I recall it's $5 cash, but knowing Allen it could be $10. I'd rather play a home / away than play at Allen Eagle Stadium because I'd rather our programs get the money.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Yep......every single game with you Gilmerites was a good-un, for sure. I think the atmosphere really ratcheted up when it was an Argyle/Gilmer battle on the gridiron of glory. Every player played every down for the glory of the game......no question about it. Argyle may move back down to DII this next go-round......they were on the cusp by just a few players last time. If they raise the numbers......we may end up at the top of DII enrollment numbers. Then it will be like old times again, Huh?

All-American

I wasn't there, but I heard the Argyle webcast of the game in Ennis in 2010. It didn't sound like that good a game. It sounded like Gilmer took an opponent they'd never heard of lightly and got stomped. Final score: Argyle 41, Gilmer 14, and the game wasn't as close as the score indicated.

You had a big ol' running back who broke off about a 96-yard touchdown run to break it wide open and your announcers began making fun of "East Texas speed" at that point (rightly so). Can't recall his name. He was the predecessor to the mighty Ralston.

All-American

Okay, I looked it up. The RB's name was Layton Lowry and the TD run was "only" 93 yards, but it did indeed ice the game for Argyle.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I remember ol' Layton Lowry.....he was definitely part of the reason that team did so well. I reckon the Gilmerites took that loss pretty hard......seeing as they really thought so lowly of the Argyllians. I remember being on Smoaky and reading all the comments before the game. Afterwards, there was some serious crow-eatin' going on, hahaha. It was the next time we played Gilmer that they came to play......even though they lost again. That was a very good game.....and just about every game after that.

If you are gong to be the best, you gotta play the best...it doesn't do any good to play beneath you.
    buckeyebob

Letterman

Heard that Argyle got 3-4 Southlake Carroll transfers. Several may contribute. I honestly don't know how true this is so I'm asking if anyone else has heard anything similar.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Leopard4Life View Post
    Heard that Argyle got 3-4 Southlake Carroll transfers. Several may contribute. I honestly don't know how true this is so I'm asking if anyone else has heard anything similar.
    Not sure about that......but we do have a transfer starting qb from Liberty Christian that switched schools last spring. He is a senior, and Clearman(lefty Jr.) will also play quite a bit.
    Jon Copeland(5-11, 195) started his junior season for Liberty Christian and led them to the playoffs. He's a dual-threat qb that threw for 2100 yds and 21 TD's, and also rushed for 700 yds scoring 8 TD's.
    Last edited by regaleagle; 08-20-2017 at 01:57 AM.