Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Looks like we're stuck with each other for a while. WOS stopped dropping but won't be increasing anytime soon.
    424-100-3 (80.74% win percentage) Highest winning percentage in the state

9 straight Region III Finals '11-'19
    56 consecutive district game wins '09-'20 (88-1 in district since 2003)
    37 consecutive non-losing seasons '84-'20

4 Championships - 1986, 1987, 2015, 2016
    8 State Finals - 1986, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
    9 Semifinals - 1986, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2005, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
    14 Quarterfinals - 1986, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2005, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
    31 Playoff Appearances

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Aesculus gilmus View Post
    What is Celina's enrollment shaping up to be this fall? Could this be your last year in our division?

If so, this season may be your last chance to ever play Gilmer. Gilmer is now LOSING enrollment - down to only 660 in the high school, according to our superintendent. We're going to be in Division II for a LONG time to come. I don't think we'll ever collapse down into 3A Division I, but anything's possible, I guess.

After all, Daingerfield used to be in our district. Now they're all the way down in 3A Division II.

I wish I could say Celina would be in Div. II for a long time. But unless the economy goes way south again and spurs the growth the experts say is coming, I'm afraid the Bobcats are on a Div. II (and more realistically a 4A) farewell tour. We're not far away from playing the Lovejoy's, McKinney's, Prosper's and probably the Frisco schools on a regular basis. I can't see anyway we stay Div. II next realignment, and if what people are saying is true, we could be 5A Div. II by the 2020 - maybe 2022 - realignment.

I wish we could funnel all of our growth to Prosper schools and keep Celina in the small-school ranks. But the sad reality is the war machine that is the DFW Metroplex is powered up, moving north and swallowing up everything. Small-town football in North Texas is going the way of the dinosaur, sadly. I wish there was a way to keep Celina - and all of our old familiar north Texas friends - small forever, but I suspect that's as futile a hope as trying to stave off time itself.
    Texas Forever.

Carthage in the pre-season...SRO in Buckeye Land on a Saturday night (9-23)

Pleasant Grove for our 1st District Game @ Buckeye Land....another SRO....followed by Gladewater in District #2
    buckeyebob

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by d0tc0m View Post
    I wish there was a way to keep Celina - and all of our old familiar north Texas friends - small forever, but I suspect that's as futile a hope as trying to stave off time itself.
    Come to Upshur County - the land that time forgot. We don't even have a hospital. Heck, we don't even have an ER. But we've got a helluva football team in the school district of the county seat. So it's all good!

In 1960, the population of Gilmer was 4,312. In 2010, it was 4,905. Most of that growth is Hispanic, I think.

All-American

That week 3 Cameron at China Spring game looks juicy...

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Bosqueville View Post
    That week 3 Cameron at China Spring game looks juicy...

My goodness. That game is always entertaining. This year will be especially so, I imagine.
    Texas Forever.

All-American

Come to Upshur County - the land that time forgot. We don't even have a hospital. Heck, we don't even have an ER. But we've got a helluva football team in the school district of the county seat. So it's all good!

In 1960, the population of Gilmer was 4,312. In 2010, it was 4,905. Most of that growth is Hispanic, I think.

That sounds lovely. I'll keep that as an option. Although, my first choice would be keep the convenience of Collin County, but also keep the population of Celina right where it is. I'd also like to see Pilot Point grow a little and come up into the 4A fold. I would love to see the Bobcats and Bearcats get back to slugging it out every season. Of course, it hasn't been much of a rivalry in over a decade. Haven't beaten us since 1998. Last competitive game, I believe, was my senior year (2004).
    Texas Forever.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyebob View Post
    Carthage in the pre-season...SRO in Buckeye Land on a Saturday night (9-23)

Pleasant Grove for our 1st District Game @ Buckeye Land....another SRO....followed by Gladewater in District #2

All great games.

I don't know what to expect from Gladewater, honestly. I know they've got that big ol' tight end, but other than that, I can't remember what they're bringing back. But Pleasant Grove should be improved over last season a little, and that could make that opening district matchup fairly entertaining.
    Texas Forever.

All-American

Actually, the southern part of our county has grown in population a lot over the years because of proximity to Longview and Tyler.

In 1960, the population of Upshur County was 19,793. As of 2010, it was 39,388.

Some of the Gilmer ISD extends down to Glenwood and East Mountain, which are very close to Longview, but most of it is in the stagnant part of the county.

Our high school enrollment was 705 only a year ago, so something is going on with that drastic a change.

I think we're gradually reaching the point where Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick and his allies are finally going to convince parents that the public schools are hopeless and everyone should pull their kids out of them.

That's why he's trying so hard to get private school vouchers passed, so far without much luck.

Longview is growing to the north and northeast, so that growth is not affecting our district. I have noticed there are a lot of homes being built outside Gilmer, mostly to the east. I'm pretty sure that most of these homes are being built by people moving out of town due to the steady amount of homes in town coming on the market. That is likely what keeps Gilmer's population from going up or down by much. My feeling is that enrollment will cycle like it always has for the last 40-50 years, from around 630, to a little over 700 about once every decade.
    "Kaizen"

".......offense wins games, but DEFENSE wins championships!"

P.R.I.D.E.

Gilmer Buckeyes -State Champions:

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

Quote Originally Posted by lostaussie View Post
    That's a real bad memory ago. One we do no longer discuss in open forum
    I learned to never trust a team from Arkansas...enough said
    buckeyebob

Quote Originally Posted by d0tc0m View Post
    That sounds lovely. I'll keep that as an option. Although, my first choice would be keep the convenience of Collin County, but also keep the population of Celina right where it is. I'd also like to see Pilot Point grow a little and come up into the 4A fold. I would love to see the Bobcats and Bearcats get back to slugging it out every season. Of course, it hasn't been much of a rivalry in over a decade. Haven't beaten us since 1998. Last competitive game, I believe, was my senior year (2004).
    Just a warning...learn to play the banjo & bring your significant other from Collin County...had to get e one from Victoria...she had a full set of teeth & a boat...sometimes things go right
    buckeyebob

Actually, the southern part of our county has grown in population a lot over the years because of proximity to Longview and Tyler.

In 1960, the population of Upshur County was 19,793. As of 2010, it was 39,388.

Some of the Gilmer ISD extends down to Glenwood and East Mountain, which are very close to Longview, but most of it is in the stagnant part of the county.

Our high school enrollment was 705 only a year ago, so something is going on with that drastic a change.

I think we're gradually reaching the point where Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick and his allies are finally going to convince parents that the public schools are hopeless and everyone should pull their kids out of them.

That's why he's trying so hard to get private school vouchers passed, so far without much luck.
    My guess for the drop is everyone wants to live in the country...drive out Hwy 49...it's getting crowded. I may have to move to Wood County.
    buckeyebob

The same can be said for Orange County. The city of Orange had 18,000 people in 2010 with the population split between LCM, WO-S and Orangefield ISD. At its peak Orange had around 50,000 people back during WWII due to it being a major port with a Navy base and huge shipbuilding industry. The shipyard practically disappeared 30 years ago. That, in conjunction with two major hurricanes devastating the city have put it where it is now. I doubt we'll drop any further because the actual county population is rising and there is a mild regrowth in Old Orange but we went from 5A in 1985 to 3A in 2004. My graduating class in 1987 had 300. This year they barely had 100.

Your guess about people moving out to "living in the country" would be very different from my guess as to why LCM and Bridge City now have larger enrollment than WO-S but everyone knows why as sad as it is.
    424-100-3 (80.74% win percentage) Highest winning percentage in the state

9 straight Region III Finals '11-'19
    56 consecutive district game wins '09-'20 (88-1 in district since 2003)
    37 consecutive non-losing seasons '84-'20

4 Championships - 1986, 1987, 2015, 2016
    8 State Finals - 1986, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
    9 Semifinals - 1986, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2005, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
    14 Quarterfinals - 1986, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2005, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
    31 Playoff Appearances

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyebob View Post
    Just a warning...learn to play the banjo & bring your significant other from Collin County...had to get e one from Victoria...she had a full set of teeth & a boat...sometimes things go right

Well, I know my way around the guitar, but not the banjo. And I picked up my significant other from Taney County, Missouri, and now we live with our two little boys in Greene County. I feel a little cheated though, because my wife did not come with a boat. I must've misnegotiated the dowry with her father.
    Texas Forever.