Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Honestly, I think Gilmer has a lot to prove to be worthy of a #1 ranking. They lost a lot of playmakers on both sides of the ball. They have a good core group coming back, however. I just think they will have to improve, especially on the defensive side of the ball to have a chance to be there in the end. It'll be interesting for sure.
    "Kaizen"

".......offense wins games, but DEFENSE wins championships!"

P.R.I.D.E.

Gilmer Buckeyes -State Champions:

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump View Post
    Get used to it.The Black Cats have been sleeping in the car out in the parking lot for about ten years. They came back in to the dance last year and from what I hear they will stay for a while.With close to 600 wins I'd say they got tired of losing. The El Campo - Bay City game is the longest continuous rivalry in the state (Any classification) and is about to heat up again. Lots of district titles decided by that game and a lot more to come it seems.
    Bay City has some very good receivers with good hands and speed. They looked very good at the 7 on 7 tournament.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "GO MEAN GREEN"
    When we're bad, we're good. When we're good, we're BAD !
    767-380-38

All-State

Quote Originally Posted by d0tc0m View Post
    I wish the Rockets would have another couple of great seasons like 2006-07. At least then, maybe, Region III would be interesting again. Hard to imagine anybody realistically challenging WO-S in the first four rounds of the playoffs again. They may get a dogfight in the semifinals, though, because Region IV looks entertaining as hell again. And, heck, maybe Giddings is up to the challenge this season in Region III. Buff4ever may have some insight into that.
    Slim chance with such little emphasis placed on defense. But, I'd sure like to see that too; that was a magical season!
    Rockets Never Quit!

All-American

Black Cats will be no better than a one win playoff team

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by waterboy View Post
    Honestly, I think Gilmer has a lot to prove to be worthy of a #1 ranking. They lost a lot of playmakers on both sides of the ball. They have a good core group coming back, however. I just think they will have to improve, especially on the defensive side of the ball to have a chance to be there in the end. It'll be interesting for sure.
    I don't ever like to see a preseason top ranking. Always reminds me of 2006.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop27 View Post
    Black Cats will be no better than a one win playoff team
    Depends on who they play in round two. I'd say it would be a toss up with any team from district 10.

Stink on stink , low man wins = Ricebird football.

DCTF is paying attention. Navarro, you gave it your best shot. Time to step aside. We'll take it from here. Go Texans!
    The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have..... Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by Old Green View Post
    Bay City has some very good receivers with good hands and speed. They looked very good at the 7 on 7 tournament.

They played up pretty tough when they came to Cameron last year. They are definitely getting better.

Quote Originally Posted by Aesculus gilmus View Post
    I prefer to think of 2009.

We certainly have to be able to play DEFENSE in order to get to that lofty ranking. I think the offense is there. It's just the defense is a question mark. No doubt we have plenty of talent.
    "Kaizen"

P.R.I.D.E.

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

Junior Varsity

Quote Originally Posted by Tejastrue View Post
    DCTF is paying attention. Navarro, you gave it your best shot. Time to step aside. We'll take it from here. Go Texans!
    But gold goes better with purple... y'all should just keep that silver

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by waterboy View Post

Gilmer will probably, as usual, be good enough offensively to overcome defensive iniquities in most matchups. The new addition at RB certainly helps in that regard. And actually, from my understanding, that young man from Aledo may offer the Buckeyes more on the defensive side of things than the offensive side. I suspect the Buckeyes will be just fine on both sides of the ball and probably be 9-1 (can't pick them over Carthage right now) heading into the postseason. From there, I don't see another team in Region II giving them fits until maybe the region finals.

And unless Sweetwater is bringing back the house this year, I can't see anyone from Region I - as of right now - keeping the Region II champ out of the state championship game. Of course, last year, I didn't think Sweetwater had even a puncher's chance against Gilmer. Boy, was I wrong.
    Texas Forever.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Aesculus gilmus View Post
    That's a real bad memory ago. One we do no longer discuss in open forum
    Originally posted by Ranger Mom
    Umm...what is a sweet beaver??
    the best kind???

Gilmer will probably, as usual, be good enough offensively to overcome defensive iniquities in most matchups. The new addition at RB certainly helps in that regard. And actually, from my understanding, that young man from Aledo may offer the Buckeyes more on the defensive side of things than the offensive side. I suspect the Buckeyes will be just fine on both sides of the ball and probably be 9-1 (can't pick them over Carthage right now) heading into the postseason. From there, I don't see another team in Region II giving them fits until maybe the region finals.

And unless Sweetwater is bringing back the house this year, I can't see anyone from Region I - as of right now - keeping the Region II champ out of the state championship game. Of course, last year, I didn't think Sweetwater had even a puncher's chance against Gilmer. Boy, was I wrong.
    The move-in from Aledo played junior high ball at Gilmer. He is moving back to Gilmer to live with his Dad who lives within a stone's throw from the stadium. He will certainly help.

I still think of what could've been in the past, or what we could become if defense was a priority at Gilmer. If we take care of the football this season we will certainly win a lot of games as usual. If we avoid turnovers and drive killing penalties like last year, AND play solid defense that can actually get stops on a regular basis, we will likely be playing in December again. A championship will take jelling at the right time, some luck, and being healthy. I don't think there will be many teams with "more" talent than us.
    "Kaizen"

P.R.I.D.E.

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

Quote Originally Posted by lostaussie View Post
    That's a real bad memory ago. One we do no longer discuss in open forum
    I didn't get on this site until 2007, but I can imagine.

The sad part is, I was one of those people who said Gilmer was overrated. I remember telling some friends and family members after the Daingerfield game that year (we won 62-42 in Daingerfield) that if Gilmer didn't learn how to play defense, they would get beat when they went against somebody who could play defense. I also distinctly remember saying that the first team to hold our offense under 40 points would beat us.

Liberty-Eylau was that team. LE had some NFL caliber talent that year with Will Middlebrooks (who opted for MLB), LaMichael James, and a few others.
    "Kaizen"

P.R.I.D.E.

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

All-American

What is Celina's enrollment shaping up to be this fall? Could this be your last year in our division?

If so, this season may be your last chance to ever play Gilmer. Gilmer is now LOSING enrollment - down to only 660 in the high school, according to our superintendent. We're going to be in Division II for a LONG time to come. I don't think we'll ever collapse down into 3A Division I, but anything's possible, I guess.

After all, Daingerfield used to be in our district. Now they're all the way down in 3A Division II.