Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    All-American

We got a little better yesterday with the addition of a running back that I'm being told started at Aledo last year. He went to Gilmer through Jr. high and moved. Now moving back. His father was a Buckeye qb in the 90's and still lives here.
    Originally posted by Ranger Mom
    Umm...what is a sweet beaver??
    the best kind???

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by SaltySixes View Post
    I have to ask why a legitimate top 15 team? We were a legitimate top 4 team last year, and it seams to me that last year is all these rankings are ever based on.... that being said 10 is mostly right. One thing to add is that Goad thinks we will be as good or better than last year!

A legitimate top 15 team, because you just slipped into the top 15 at No. 13. I was just wondering if you boys in purple thought that was a fitting place for the Panthers to be in the middle of June, or if there would be a significant drop-off from last season, because I genuinely didn't know.

Navarro was certainly a top four team last year. But that was last year, and contrary to what you might believe, these rankings are not built solely on the previous season. That's only part of the formula. I hope the Panthers make some more noise again, because some of you guys kept these boards entertaining last year. That said, I'd put you in the third spot in Region IV behind Wimberley and Cuero right now ... 2 1/2 months from the snap of the first game of the season. Heck, these rankings may change by the time two-a-days start.

It always gives us good discussion, though! And like I said in a previous post, it's just good to be back, and it's good to see everybody starting to come back around again. It's that time of the summer when we start getting the itch. At least we've got the State 7-on-7 next week to look forward to. That can give us a little momentum heading into July.
    Texas Forever.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by lostaussie View Post
    We got a little better yesterday with the addition of a running back that I'm being told started at Aledo last year. He went to Gilmer through Jr. high and moved. Now moving back. His father was a Buckeye qb in the 90's and still lives here.

Heard about this. Heard rumors that there could be an eligibility issue, but that seems silly to me. With family roots there, seems like a no-brainer that there won't be any issues. If so, great addition for the Buckeyes. That pushes them just a little bit further ahead of everybody else in Div. II, in my opinion. Them boys are going to be nasty again this fall.

Still hope my Bobcats get a fourth straight matchup against the Buckeyes, though.
    Texas Forever.

Junior Varsity

Quote Originally Posted by d0tc0m View Post
    A legitimate top 15 team, because you just slipped into the top 15 at No. 13. I was just wondering if you boys in purple thought that was a fitting place for the Panthers to be in the middle of June, or if there would be a significant drop-off from last season, because I genuinely didn't know.

Navarro was certainly a top four team last year. But that was last year, and contrary to what you might believe, these rankings are not built solely on the previous season. That's only part of the formula. I hope the Panthers make some more noise again, because some of you guys kept these boards entertaining last year. That said, I'd put you in the third spot in Region IV behind Wimberley and Cuero right now ... 2 1/2 months from the snap of the first game of the season. Heck, these rankings may change by the time two-a-days start.

It always gives us good discussion, though! And like I said in a previous post, it's just good to be back, and it's good to see everybody starting to come back around again. It's that time of the summer when we start getting the itch. At least we've got the State 7-on-7 next week to look forward to. That can give us a little momentum heading into July.
    Who knows about 13 in the state? Too many teams to claim that you could know exactly where your team stands. However in region 4, I would have to put us just behind Cuero with a slight edge on Wimberley. Sorry Texans not this year!

All-American

Who knows about 13 in the state? Too many teams to claim that you could know exactly where your team stands. However in region 4, I would have to put us just behind Cuero with a slight edge on Wimberley. Sorry Texans not this year!

Of course nobody knows exactly where they stand. These are rankings we're talking about. It's as inexact a science as there is. But, that said, you know if you're a top 15 team in your division or not. If you don't know, then you're probably not a top 15 team.

At any rate, Div. II, Region IV should provide another fun November/December for all of us HS football fans.
    Texas Forever.

Junior Varsity

Quote Originally Posted by d0tc0m View Post
    Of course nobody knows exactly where they stand. These are rankings we're talking about. It's as inexact a science as there is. But, that said, you know if you're a top 15 team in your division or not. If you don't know, then you're probably not a top 15 team.

At any rate, Div. II, Region IV should provide another fun November/December for all of us HS football fans.
    Lol. I try out modesty and that doesnt work either!
    At any rate, YES navarro is a top 15 team.

All-American

Lol. I try out modesty and that doesnt work either!
    At any rate, YES navarro is a top 15 team.

Sheesh, poor ol' Salty is the victim of a benign discussion yet again.
    Texas Forever.

All-State

With no pressure of a high ranking; I'm gonna just enjoy watching the Rockets play and my daughter captain the Drill Team at half times.
    Rockets Never Quit!

Sinton had the defense last year and return good portion offensively also, turnovers plague them last year in interceptions. Their qb Colt Gorman good opportunity to have a big year with the skill and talent he'll have at his disposal this season. Sitting at 16 is good place to start pretty sure they'll be way up there by end of the regular season. Andrew McGowan and Daryl French been busy in the offseason. Tristan Canales finish strong last year and look for break out year from him.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    With no pressure of a high ranking; I'm gonna just enjoy watching the Rockets play and my daughter captain the Drill Team at half times.

I wish the Rockets would have another couple of great seasons like 2006-07. At least then, maybe, Region III would be interesting again. Hard to imagine anybody realistically challenging WO-S in the first four rounds of the playoffs again. They may get a dogfight in the semifinals, though, because Region IV looks entertaining as hell again. And, heck, maybe Giddings is up to the challenge this season in Region III. Buff4ever may have some insight into that.
    Texas Forever.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by SintonFan_inAustin View Post
    Sinton had the defense last year and return good portion offensively also, turnovers plague them last year in interceptions. Their qb Colt Gorman good opportunity to have a big year with the skill and talent he'll have at his disposal this season. Sitting at 16 is good place to start pretty sure they'll be way up there by end of the regular season.

Was hoping one of you from Sinton would chime in. This just furthers the argument that Region IV may be the most competitive in Div. II this year.
    Texas Forever.

All-District

Week 4 is going to be a doozy at Jeff Traylor. Both teams have a chance to be ranked #1. I think with so much experience, this might be a year Carthage can go 10-0. But just not sure. We are known to lay an egg atleast a couple times a year. With GW, WH, LE, Gilmer, Henderson, and Kilgore on the schedule it is going to be tough. All of them can beat Carthage if we don't play to full potential. I am kinda in wait and see mode. On paper Carthage has the potential to have one of the all-time best 4a teams. But games aren't played on paper. We will have an inexperienced QB, but the rest of the team should pick him up until Surratt gets him coached up about the time the playoffs roll around.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgs View Post
    Week 4 is going to be a doozy at Jeff Traylor. Both teams have a chance to be ranked #1. I think with so much experience, this might be a year Carthage can go 10-0. But just not sure. We are known to lay an egg atleast a couple times a year. With GW, WH, LE, Gilmer, Henderson, and Kilgore on the schedule it is going to be tough. All of them can beat Carthage if we don't play to full potential. I am kinda in wait and see mode. On paper Carthage has the potential to have one of the all-time best 4a teams. But games aren't played on paper. We will have an inexperienced QB, but the rest of the team should pick him up until Surratt gets him coached up about the time the playoffs roll around.

Was wondering how long it'd be until we got around to talking about that Sept. 23 matchup. That one is going to be standing-room only in Gilmer, and it'll be LOUD!!! I would imagine Grant and Terry would be at that game for sure, especially if the Bulldogs and the Buckeyes are still undefeated - which, I imagine they will be.

If Carthage runs the table with that schedule, then they'll go a perfect 16-0 on the year. If not, I still think they'll play 16 games in 2017, and as long as you hang up a W in that 16th, that's all that matters.
    Texas Forever.

Cuero #3 (our 2nd game) Giddings #5 (4th game our Homecoming) Yoakum should be battle testing heading into district opener in Hallettsville.
    YnoT us?

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Bosqueville View Post
    Bay City????
    Get used to it.The Black Cats have been sleeping in the car out in the parking lot for about ten years. They came back in to the dance last year and from what I hear they will stay for a while.With close to 600 wins I'd say they got tired of losing. The El Campo - Bay City game is the longest continuous rivalry in the state (Any classification) and is about to heat up again. Lots of district titles decided by that game and a lot more to come it seems.

Stink on stink , low man wins = Ricebird football.