Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Letterman

Default Wharton AD/HDFB?

Looks like Finn has left for Baytown Lee.

What's the scoop, Scoop?

All-District

Smart move getting out of Wharton. He's a good coach.

All-American

Finn did a great job for the the Tigers with what he had to work with and played over their heads. Will be hard to find a good replacment. Another new Wharton County coach coming in as Boling's coach Stephen Dorr left three weeks ago

Letterman

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop27 View Post
    Finn did a great job for the the Tigers with what he had to work with and played over their heads. Will be hard to find a good replacment. Another new Wharton County coach coming in as Boling's coach Stephen Dorr left three weeks ago
    I think Finn did a good job too. However, the quote about "with what he had to work with" is a little confusing. Wharton is TALENTED. That running back (B.J. Baylor) was as dangerous as I saw all year. That dude was good. Oregon State is getting a stud.

If Wharton ever figures out that they need new facilities, they could be a perennial powerhouse. Facilities matter. They need them in the worst way.

All-State

Most definitely, Wharton has the athletes and them being in region IV they could be a top 3 team every year, with Cuero and Navarro. The athletes are that good there, but like Crow said the facilities are by far the worst in the area.

Junior Varsity

Im not sure how wharton can start the season as a team that could win region 4 because of their vastly superior "speed," and by the end of the year it was a good coaching move to get out because they dont have much talent? Lol

But also in region 4 i think its a group of 4 or 5 with all the teams you said plus Wimbo and probably Sinton.

All-District

Wharton has lots of talent. Key is finding someone who wants to live there.

All-State

Quote Originally Posted by Weebe View Post
    Wharton has lots of talent. Key is finding someone who wants to live there.
    #1 Reason is facilities IMO. Kids don't have any pride in the place because it isn't nice at all or kept up. Junior High and High School, field house, gyms, weight room all need an update BAD. Last I saw the track wasn't even in good shape, Sometimes perception is reality.

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by wedo View Post
    #1 Reason is facilities IMO. Kids don't have any pride in the place because it isn't nice at all or kept up. Junior High and High School, field house, gyms, weight room all need an update BAD. Last I saw the track wasn't even in good shape, Sometimes perception is reality.
    I don't know a lot about the athletic facilities. But good families are constantly bailing out of Wharton to get their kids into better school districts in the area.

They are either moving to neighboring towns or driving their kids each morning.

All-State

I don't know a lot about the athletic facilities. But good families are constantly bailing out of Wharton to get their kids into better school districts in the area.

Your not the first person that I've heard say this before, so probably some truth to it. They have dropped significantly in enrollment from say 10-12 years ago.

Letterman

Cause/Effect.

If WISD would significantly improve their facilities (not just athletic but overall) then maybe the "good families" would not be bailing out and getting their kids to "better" school districts. Having nice, clean, and functional facilities leads to overall pride and care given to the task(s) at hand. If Wharton ever bit the bullet and renovated or built facilities to compete with the other schools in the area, there's no telling from an athletic standpoint what they could do. There are a LOT of talented kids there.

All-American

Wharton's total athletic participation, with the exception of tennis, is down in all sports. They couldn't even field a full golf teams. It starts at the junior high to get the kids out to play all sports. You see very little multiple sports participation among the athletes. Softball is also a weak sport for the school. Baseball team made the playoffs and of course the boys and girls basketball teams had good runs. Soccer it a pretty weak sport for the school and swimming is mediocre. It all start with top notch facilities and finding the athletes in the hallways

Letterman

Wharton's total athletic participation, with the exception of tennis, is down in all sports. They couldn't even field a full golf teams. It starts at the junior high to get the kids out to play all sports. You see very little multiple sports participation among the athletes. Softball is also a weak sport for the school. Baseball team made the playoffs and of course the boys and girls basketball teams had good runs. Soccer it a pretty weak sport for the school and swimming is mediocre. It all start with top notch facilities and finding the athletes in the hallways
    Very few times do you and I agree, Scoop....but here, we do. Yay!

So seriously, why can't Wharton get a bond together and build some facilities that will bring them into the 21st century? They need them in the worst way. New facilities provide a sense of pride and that pride can do wonders for a program (and school).

I hope they do. If they do, watch out. If not, it'll be the same thing a few years from now.

All-State

Quote Originally Posted by Crow22 View Post
    Very few times do you and I agree, Scoop....but here, we do. Yay!

So seriously, why can't Wharton get a bond together and build some facilities that will bring them into the 21st century? They need them in the worst way. New facilities provide a sense of pride and that pride can do wonders for a program (and school).

I hope they do. If they do, watch out. If not, it'll be the same thing a few years from now.

Scoop mentioned the JRH so I thought I'd mention that I think they've had something like 4 principles in 4 years. Crazy, Why is their so much turnover?