All-American

Default A trip down memory lane

Around this time every summer, I start to get the HS football itch really bad, and 2017 has been no different. I start reading up on teams, watching tape, looking back through the archives, remembering the good ol' days, etc.

I came across this story on the Dallas Morning News from that epic 2006 Thanksgiving playoff matchup between SLC (defending 5A-II champion, ranked No. 1 in state) and Euless Trinity (defending 5A-I champion, ranked No. 2 in state).

I was home from college on Thanksgiving break then, and we fought the traffic that morning and got seats in the upper deck of old Cowboys Stadium. It was one of the greatest HS football games I've ever seen. I'd say it was the greatest of all time, but Celina state title games will always be near-and-dear to my heart, as will the massive upset win over Gainesville my sophomore year (2002).

I remember my dad and I marveling at the size of the crowd as people continued to pile into Texas Stadium until midway through the third quarter, probably. And those who got there late still got great value for their dollar. It was a game that truly, truly lived up to the hype it received in the weeks leading up to the showdown, and it is one that I will always remember.

And I remember us rushing out of the stadium as soon as the game was over, fighting traffic all over again, grabbing some quick food and making it back to McKinney's Poe Stadium to watch the Bobcats shutdown Shawnbrey McNeal (22 yards on 11 carries) and state-ranked Dallas Madison (43-6) in the second round of the playoffs during my brother's junior year. It stands as one of the more memorable days of football I had with my family, and I treasure it now that I have a growing family of my own.

It's also those memories that will always get me jazzed for the upcoming TXHSFB season.

For those interested, here's the DMN article Matt Wixon wrote on the 10-year anniversary of that SLC-Trinity matchup. There's a video with highlights near the bottom. Worth the read and watch.

Hope you all are having a great summer so far!
    Texas Forever.

Quote Originally Posted by d0tc0m View Post
    Around this time every summer, I start to get the HS football itch really bad, and 2017 has been no different. I start reading up on teams, watching tape, looking back through the archives, remembering the good ol' days, etc.

I came across this story on the Dallas Morning News from that epic 2006 Thanksgiving playoff matchup between SLC (defending 5A-II champion, ranked No. 1 in state) and Euless Trinity (defending 5A-I champion, ranked No. 2 in state).

I was home from college on Thanksgiving break then, and we fought the traffic that morning and got seats in the upper deck of old Cowboys Stadium. It was one of the greatest HS football games I've ever seen. I'd say it was the greatest of all time, but Celina state title games will always be near-and-dear to my heart, as will the massive upset win over Gainesville my sophomore year (2002).

I remember my dad and I marveling at the size of the crowd as people continued to pile into Texas Stadium until midway through the third quarter, probably. And those who got there late still got great value for their dollar. It was a game that truly, truly lived up to the hype it received in the weeks leading up to the showdown, and it is one that I will always remember.

And I remember us rushing out of the stadium as soon as the game was over, fighting traffic all over again, grabbing some quick food and making it back to McKinney's Poe Stadium to watch the Bobcats shutdown Shawnbrey McNeal (22 yards on 11 carries) and state-ranked Dallas Madison (43-6) in the second round of the playoffs during my brother's junior year. It stands as one of the more memorable days of football I had with my family, and I treasure it now that I have a growing family of my own.

It's also those memories that will always get me jazzed for the upcoming TXHSFB season.

For those interested, here's the DMN article Matt Wixon wrote on the 10-year anniversary of that SLC-Trinity matchup. There's a video with highlights near the bottom. Worth the read and watch.

Hope you all are having a great summer so far!
    My Son was on that 2006 and 2007 team. That was an amazing game. They broke his spirit in the 1st quarter. I tried to PM you but your full. Who was your brother?

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by bobcat1 View Post
    My Son was on that 2006 and 2007 team. That was an amazing game. They broke his spirit in the 1st quarter. I tried to PM you but your full. Who was your brother?

I'll clean it out.

Your son was one of my favorites to ever wear the orange and white. Just a lot of fun to watch.
    Texas Forever.

All-American

That Southlake-Trinity game was my most memorable game as a neutral party I ever witnesses.....the pressbox was buzzing from kickoff....so many great players and plays in that game...no one will ever convince me there weren't 60,000 in the stadium for that game