Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sweetwater Will Still Be Dangerous

As Long As They Stay Explosive, Sweetwater Will Still Be Dangerous
    by Hunter Cooke
    May 5

In the 2016 season, the Sweetwater Mustangs were almost impossible to slow down. Led by quarterback Chris Thompson, they piled up points on just about every single team they faced.

The Mustangs were rolling through the playoffs, taking victory after victory from games that most thought they would lose. Sweetwater made it all the way to the title game, where they met only one of two defenses that could slow them down: a borderline legendary squad from West Orange-Stark.

Sweetwater had been slowed before, they lost a 19-16 game to Monahans in the regular season. This was something different. The only Mustang score came from a Luke James fumble recovery that he brought back all the way, the rest of the time Sweetwater was stymied.

There’s no shame in losing that way, though. West Orange-Stark was a juggernaut, in 16 games their defense put on 10 shutout performances (Silsbee scored a safety and Sweetwater on a fumble recovery, their offenses did not score).

With an incredibly talented group of seniors graduating, brand new head coach Ben McGehee, who also comes from a 2016 state finalist in Temple, will have his work cut out for him.

Key Losses

WR/CB Luke James, RB/LB Jacoby Hunt, WR Jordan McGee, LB Hunter Mobley, DT/G Tate Rainey

So, yeah, Sweetwater will lose a lot from their excellent crew, more than can be named in the format for these articles. Their lines were excellent all year long, and their explosiveness was largely due to guys like Luke James, Jordan McGee, and Jacoby Hunt.

Key Returners

QB Chris Thompson, WR Kobe Clark, OLB/FB Kiante McCoy WR/DB Isak Alvarez

Here’s the good news for Sweetwater: They return Chris Thompson and Kobe Clark, who have the potential to take the top off a defense at any given time. On the defensive side of the ball, district defensive MVP Kiante McCoy and tough defensive back Isak Alvarez return to guide the Mustang defense.

The Verdict

It’s always tough to break in a new head coach, but Ben McGehee has just about every tool he could ask for. Sweetwater loses a lot of their weapons, yes, but the returners, especially Thompson and McCoy, should give McGehee a good foundation to build upon.

Sweetwater will still be a very dangerous team, and it would be completely ludicrous to say that they’re not going to challenge people in the playoffs. I still think that they don’t have as much firepower as they did last year, and that will definitely hurt as they attempt to make their way back to the state championship.

http://texashsfootball.com/long-stay...ill-dangerous/
    SWEETWATER

IS GOOD !!!!!!!

All-American

http://wildcatstrong.com/coaching-staff/ben-mcgehee-2/

Looks like a young whippersnapper. He has the same sort of look Jeff Traylor had at that age. Kind of a "I'm gettin' ready to kick yer ass" look.

We'll be trying our best to still be waiting for a 4th time.
    424-100-3 (80.74% win percentage) Highest winning percentage in the state

9 straight Region III Finals '11-'19
    56 consecutive district game wins '09-'20 (88-1 in district since 2003)
    37 consecutive non-losing seasons '84-'20

4 Championships - 1986, 1987, 2015, 2016
    8 State Finals - 1986, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
    9 Semifinals - 1986, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2005, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
    14 Quarterfinals - 1986, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2005, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
    31 Playoff Appearances

Junior Varsity

I never realized that article was about WOS?

Quote Originally Posted by SaltySixes View Post
    I never realized that article was about WOS?
    Well we ARE mentioned twice to Navarro's none.

I'm rooting for Sweetwater. I always have and always will. They know that. Plus I need to keep my post count ahead of Phantom Stang. He's about to catch me.
    424-100-3 (80.74% win percentage) Highest winning percentage in the state

9 straight Region III Finals '11-'19
    56 consecutive district game wins '09-'20 (88-1 in district since 2003)
    37 consecutive non-losing seasons '84-'20

4 Championships - 1986, 1987, 2015, 2016
    8 State Finals - 1986, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
    9 Semifinals - 1986, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2005, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
    14 Quarterfinals - 1986, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2005, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
    31 Playoff Appearances

Junior Varsity

I wasnt saying you aren't rooting for s'water or for Navarro for that matter... all im saying is that i wasnt suprised to see that you made a post on their article.
    Last edited by SaltySixes; 06-03-2017 at 09:46 PM.

Junior Varsity

Quote Originally Posted by WOS87 View Post
    Well we ARE mentioned twice to Navarro's none.

I'm rooting for Sweetwater. I always have and always will. They know that. Plus I need to keep my post count ahead of Phantom Stang. He's about to catch me.
    I wasnt saying you aren't rooting for s'water or for Navarro for that matter... all im saying is that i wasnt suprised to see that you made a post on their article.

Rumor has it that we have another kicker that has moved in from south of the border. This one not
    quite as far away as Argentina but he too has never played American football.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetwater Red View Post
    Rumor has it that we have another kicker that has moved in from south of the border. This one not
    quite as far away as Argentina but he too has never played American football.
    So when we say "ICE" the kicker it could have more than one meaning?

Guessing they might be doing this for all SC finalists but still pretty cool.

Mustangs to be featured in DCTF commemorative edition

Sweetwater fans who simply can’t wait for the high school football season to start now have an additional enticement.
    How’s this for an early treat: The summer edition of Dave Campbell’s Texas Football magazine, which is scheduled to come out later this month, will be featuring Sweetwater’s 2016 team in a commemorative edition.
    Pre-order payments for the magazine will be accepted in person at the Sweetwater High School field house between now and June 20. Persons who pre-order before June 20 will receive a reduced price. Persons may also order the commemorative edition after June 20.

http://www.sweetwaterreporter.com/co...rative-edition

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetwater Red View Post
    Guessing they might be doing this for all SC finalists but still pretty cool.

Mustangs to be featured in DCTF commemorative edition

Sweetwater fans who simply can’t wait for the high school football season to start now have an additional enticement.
    How’s this for an early treat: The summer edition of Dave Campbell’s Texas Football magazine, which is scheduled to come out later this month, will be featuring Sweetwater’s 2016 team in a commemorative edition.
    Pre-order payments for the magazine will be accepted in person at the Sweetwater High School field house between now and June 20. Persons who pre-order before June 20 will receive a reduced price. Persons may also order the commemorative edition after June 20.

http://www.sweetwaterreporter.com/co...rative-edition
    Hmmm

All-American

Maybe this new coach won't be afraid ..... I mean go back to scheduling Wylie

And maybe y'all will schedule Desoto or Cedar Hill after the next alignment

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Red Carpet View Post
    ...and maybe y'all will quit beating up on 3A teams.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Red Carpet View Post
    You gotta admit that it's pretty ridiculous that schools 35 miles apart, in the same district in every other sport, don't play each other in football.