Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Letterman

I want to revise my prior comments on this topic out respect for those who have served. In my first post, I said Ali deserves some credit for taking a stand based on religion and sacrificing some of the best years of his career. The first part of that statement kind of stands, but just kind of. Ali did take a stand based on his new found religion. But, not fighting in Vietnam was one of the few aspects of his new religion that he abided by, which makes you wonder about the seriousness of the conversion. As for sacrificing, in all actuality, those years would have been gone regardless of what he did (report to duty, head to Canada, become a Muslim and claim religious objection, ???). There were many baseball greats who lost quality years for very real service during WWII. Ted Williams comes to mind.) But, what has really changed my mind on this topic was going back and reading articles about Ali calling Frazier an Uncle Tom and a tool of the white establishment because Frazier didn't join Ali in objecting to the war. In my mind, that is grade A despicable POS behavior that erases any credit I give him for "taking a stand." Ali wanted to be seen by the public as a man acting on principle but he royally disrespected Frazier's principles on the same topic. And, as royally as a black man can disrespect another black man. (I think. I'm not black.) Ali can't have it both ways. So, for what it's worth (pretty much nothing), I'm placing Ali in the POS category on this topic, but he is way lower on the list than all the momma's boy, silver-spoon white politicians (Clinton, Bush, Gore, Kerry) that avoided fighting because their daddy's pulled some strings and they suffered no negative repercussions whatsoever. Here's an article that changed my mind on the topic.

http://www.boxingscene.com/muhammad-...ecades--105366

Quote Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
    If your point is both parties suck, you'll get no argument from me. Not a nickels worth of diff in them.

But I think you're off base saying he took up a religion solely to avoide the war. And if he did, that's still more noble than the other POS mentioned in the article.
    Noble? BS! That word does not fit with him.

Quote Originally Posted by bobcat1 View Post
    Noble? BS! That word does not fit with him.
    You are still avoiding answering the question, as are others. Hold Ali to the same standard you would others.
    Judge a man by his questions rather than by his answers.

-Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePop View Post
    I want to revise my prior comments on this topic out respect for those who have served. In my first post, I said Ali deserves some credit for taking a stand based on religion and sacrificing some of the best years of his career. The first part of that statement kind of stands, but just kind of. Ali did take a stand based on his new found religion. But, not fighting in Vietnam was one of the few aspects of his new religion that he abided by, which makes you wonder about the seriousness of the conversion. As for sacrificing, in all actuality, those years would have been gone regardless of what he did (report to duty, head to Canada, become a Muslim and claim religious objection, ???). There were many baseball greats who lost quality years for very real service during WWII. Ted Williams comes to mind.) But, what has really changed my mind on this topic was going back and reading articles about Ali calling Frazier an Uncle Tom and a tool of the white establishment because Frazier didn't join Ali in objecting to the war. In my mind, that is grade A despicable POS behavior that erases any credit I give him for "taking a stand." Ali wanted to be seen by the public as a man acting on principle but he royally disrespected Frazier's principles on the same topic. And, as royally as a black man can disrespect another black man. (I think. I'm not black.) Ali can't have it both ways. So, for what it's worth (pretty much nothing), I'm placing Ali in the POS category on this topic, but he is way lower on the list than all the momma's boy, silver-spoon white politicians (Clinton, Bush, Gore, Kerry) that avoided fighting because their daddy's pulled some strings and they suffered no negative repercussions whatsoever. Here's an article that changed my mind on the topic.

http://www.boxingscene.com/muhammad-...ecades--105366
    And Ali admitted he was wrong and apologized. He was wrong in all that.

So if some one makes a mistake in their lives p, they are always in POS category w you?

-Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
    You are still avoiding answering the question, as are others. Hold Ali to the same standard you would others.
    I don't care who the draft dodger is. A draft dodger is a draft dodger so Quit deflecting. Cassius Clay aka Muhammad Ali is the subject of this thread. So stay on track please. Subject change initiated by you is a direct loss in a debate.

Quote Originally Posted by bobcat1 View Post
    I don't care who the draft dodger is. A draft dodger is a draft dodger so Quit deflecting. Cassius Clay aka Muhammad Ali is the subject of this thread. So stay on track please. Subject change initiated by you is a direct loss in a debate.
    Not a deflection. Just wanted you to clarify your answer which you did.

-Voltaire