Blog Entries

Default final rankings from last year for 3A Div 1 District 5

I happened to glance at the MaxPreps website to see where everything ended up after all the dust settled last season. Here is what i found as far as where every team in 3A Div 1 District 5 was ranked in state and in district.

District rank: State Rank:

#3. Pilot Point #198. (got beat by #1 and #5 (Pottsboro/Farmersville).
    #1. Pottsboro #205 (Beat everybody in the district. including Pilot point)
    #5. Van Alstyne#360. (didn't make the playoffs. Lost to Pottsboro/Pilot Point, Whitesboro. Beat Callisburg and Farmersville)
    #4. Whitesboro #452 (made playoffs due to a fluke victory over VA which was one of their 2 total wins in the regular season. I call it fluke because VA beats Whitesboro 99 times if they played 100)
    #2. Farmersville #566 (Beat 2 of the 4 teams ranked above them pretty convincingly)
    #6. Callisburg #653. .................................

I think anybody who looks at these rankings can see the glaring issues. Any comments.

Blog Entries

Here are my projectiions for the final standing for this 3A district 5.

Farmersville
    Pilot Point
    Pottsboro
    Van Alstyne
    Whitesboro
    Callisburg

Any comments?

Well, this is a very tough district to predict....possibly the toughest in the state.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yoe_09 View Post
    Well, this is a very tough district to predict....possibly the toughest in the state.

Just like every season it's tough to know what will play out on the field. But I agree this is a very tough district. Other than Callisburg every team in this district could make a lot of noise. Makes for an exciting season for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmersfan View Post
    Just like every season it's tough to know what will play out on the field. But I agree this is a very tough district. Other than Callisburg every team in this district could make a lot of noise. Makes for an exciting season for sure.
    Yes, got to see a lot of film on Mineola last year, and Pottsboro gave them the best game up until state.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yoe_09 View Post
    Yes, got to see a lot of film on Mineola last year, and Pottsboro gave them the best game up until state.

Questions:

How do you think Van Alstyne will fair after losing their 3 year starter at QB and the guy that produced almost 70% of their offense over that timeframe? Their running attack was very, very mediocre with their best RB putting up just 712 yards rushing. That was with A. Philips at QB and the threat of the passing game in place. Where does their running game go without that passing threat? I know they will return a ton of underclassmen and their defense could be really, really tough. But I don't see much offense. Do you?

How do you see Pilot Point going this season. They also lost their 3 year starter at QB Travis Garrett who was the #1 producer on their offense with almost 3000 total yards. They lost 17 seniors ( 9 of which where linemen). They do return Bailey who was their #2 guy on the offense last season.

Whitesboro: I see a lot of people ranking them fairly high despite the 2-8 regular season record last year. They did have a couple of good wins in the playoffs. They return their outstanding RB and their starting QB from last season that was average at best. They lost their best receiver to graduation but he lead the team with just 286 yards receiving. Will their passing game improve? If not I can't see them being a big threat in this district.........

Pottsboro: It is my opinion that Pottsboro lost way more than they are letting on. Of course they return their QB who accounted for over 60% of the offensive yards. They lost 2 RBs that accounted for almost 2000 yards out of the backfield. They return a couple of good receivers and lost a couple of good ones. They also lost several really good linemen but apparently they have some good linemen coming up. Do you think Pottsboro will be close to last year's team?

Farmersville: The Farmers return their 2200 yard passer and all but 2 producers on offense. They lost their best RB who had 1600 yards rushing and a senior receiver who had about 500 yards in receptions. The Farmers lost a couple of good linemen but I think they have covered that with a couple of brothers who moved in over the offseason. The biggest offensive threat for the Farmers will be Junior RB/WR Calib Twyford who caught 1200 yards in passes and rushed for over 300 yards with a 7 YPC average. Calib will be joined on the offense by his younger brother who is supposed to be even faster than Calib. The Farmers also return 6' 210lb RB/LB Lucas Hernandez who suffered a ACL injury 2 years ago and is just now back to 100%. In last weeks scrimmage Lucas took a handoff 60+ yards for a TD and looked like the Lucas we expect....... :-)