All-District

Default Kyle officially opts out of MLB draft

Good news for all the Aggies out there.

https://twitter.com/BaseballAmerica/...09767476199425

All-State

He must be happy where he's at.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

All-American

Just curious, what does opts out of the draft really mean. I know when you are in college unless a senior you can opt out however never heard of a HS player opt out.

Junior Varsity

Just curious, what does opts out of the draft really mean. I know when you are in college unless a senior you can opt out however never heard of a HS player opt out.
    It is not uncommon in baseball for professional teams to draft high school players; baseball and hockey are the only two of the four major pro sports that allow for an 18 year old to forego college for the professional ranks.

What Kyler Murray did was publicly state that he will not be signing a professional baseball contract as a courtesy to those teams that were interested in him. So instead of using a first round or third round or 15th round pick on him, they can use it on someone else who is looking to sign a pro contract.

All-American

Yes and Stewart did the same thing but ended up signing in the end, he is either serious about wanting to attend college or just using it as leverage to get more money. With him having shoulder problems right now, there is a good chance his stock in baseball may be declining right now in his young career. Attending college and staying healthy increases his value in baseball, he needs time to possibly add weight and height which may not ever come. Who really knows, it's a crap shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by hookandladder View Post
    Yes and Stewart did the same thing but ended up signing in the end, he is either serious about wanting to attend college or just using it as leverage to get more money. With him having shoulder problems right now, there is a good chance his stock in baseball may be declining right now in his young career. Attending college and staying healthy increases his value in baseball, he needs time to possibly add weight and height which may not ever come. Who really knows, it's a crap shoot.
    Don't need height or weight for baseball. If you can play, you can play.

And saying he won't sign definitely wouldn't add leverage. Teams value Signability. It would actually deter teams from wanting and give him less leverage

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Saggy Aggie View Post
    Don't need height or weight for baseball. If you can play, you can play.

And saying he won't sign definitely wouldn't add leverage. Teams value Signability. It would actually deter teams from wanting and give him less leverage
    That is not true, I sat with a friend of mine who is the Area scout for the Mets in Weimar, Tx. when Stewart was pitching a HS playoff game his senior, he said even though Stewarts family was rich they were still playing the money game with saying he would not sign. The rich get richer by doing what they need to do, not saying Murray is doing the same but you cannot rule it out. Back door neighbor pulled in a cool million just last year doing basically the same thing, it's all about the money.Lol

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by hookandladder View Post
    That is not true, I sat with a friend of mine who is the Area scout for the Mets in Weimar, Tx. when Stewart was pitching a HS playoff game his senior, he said even though Stewarts family was rich they were still playing the money game with saying he would not sign. The rich get richer by doing what they need to do, not saying Murray is doing the same but you cannot rule it out. Back door neighbor pulled in a cool million just last year doing basically the same thing, it's all about the money.Lol
    Exactly. He's basically saying he isn't going to sign unless he gets the BIG payday.

Junior Varsity

Most everyone assumed that Kohl Stewart was going to play pro baseball, especially at A&M, which is why we also took Kenny Hill in the same class and partly a reason why Kenny signed.

I think you're foolish to assume that by publicly stating that he will not sign a major league contract means that Kyler Murray is only hoping to increase his draft stock. Kohl Stewart never said he was not going to sign a pro contract - he may have posted cryptic messages on twitter, as most kids do, but he was never as forward and blunt as Kyler yesterday.

So - in the end, Kyler Murray, dubbed the most important recruit in 2015 by Geoff Ketchum of Orangebloods, will be on campus in College Station this summer much to your dismay.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by New Taiton View Post
    Most everyone assumed that Kohl Stewart was going to play pro baseball, especially at A&M, which is why we also took Kenny Hill in the same class and partly a reason why Kenny signed.

I think you're foolish to assume that by publicly stating that he will not sign a major league contract means that Kyler Murray is only hoping to increase his draft stock. Kohl Stewart never said he was not going to sign a pro contract - he may have posted cryptic messages on twitter, as most kids do, but he was never as forward and blunt as Kyler yesterday.

So - in the end, Kyler Murray, dubbed the most important recruit in 2015 by Geoff Ketchum of Orangebloods, will be on campus in College Station this summer much to your dismay.
    Dude you are dead wrong on Stewart, you may think you know but you don't know jack about his situation. My source did not come from no twitter crap, hell I don't even tweet or even know how to tweet.

Junior Varsity

Dude you are dead wrong on Stewart, you may think you know but you don't know jack about his situation. My source did not come from no twitter crap, hell I don't even tweet or even know how to tweet.
    It's ironic that you're telling me that I don't know jack given your intellectual prowess and that you're quoting an anonymous "source".

I don't think you can produce a single where Kohl Stewart stated was forgoing the MLB draft and ask teams not to consider him as Kyler Murray did. The two situations are apples and mangos.
    Last edited by New Taiton; 05-07-2015 at 02:01 PM.

He is playing baseball at A&M though.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by New Taiton View Post
    It's ironic that you're telling me that I don't know jack given your intellectual prowess and that you're quoting an anonymous "source".

I don't think you can produce a single where Kohl Stewart stated was forgoing the MLB draft and ask teams not to consider him as Kyler Murray did. The two situations are apples and mangos.
    My source was from the horses month, our kids played a lot of select ball with and against each other. You figure it out or put your aggy spin on it, you know everything because you read it off the internet. LMAO

Junior Varsity

My source was from the horses month, our kids played a lot of select ball with and against each other. You figure it out or put your aggy spin on it, you know everything because you read it off the internet. LMAO
    This would be considered making a "public statement" - comparable to the one Kyler Murray just made and my point. However, Kohl Stewart never did that. If it was public, you would be able to link an article showing that. That's why the situation between the two is apples and kiwis.

Kyler came out and said he was going to forego the MLB. Kohl did not.

Junior Varsity

how dare you argue with the great New Taiton... he KNOWS EVERYTHING...

this is nothing more than posturing by Allen, and a great PR move by him... probably not a money grab, but nobody can know for sure...
    the only way we will know is when someone drafts him, throws an absurd amount of money at him and he takes it... or if they low ball him he can say that he wanted to go to ATM all along...
    or he can use this on leverage with the Aggies to give him a shot at the starter spot next year...
    his dad played one or two years in the minors before coming to ATM...

nobody knows for sure, except New Taiton... he knows everything