Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Junior Varsity

Default Recruiting Rankings and Admission

As some of you may know - I've maintained that no team has won a national championship in the BCS era and not had a top 10 class within four years of that championship. This is the sole reason why I believe that recruting rankings are so very important and not to be overlooked. I don't care how many 3* played in the Superbowl this year vs. how many 5* did. All I'm concerned with is what they do in college.

There are some on here that called me dumb and told me rankings are worthless etc. and I maintained my ground that no team has won a MNC with a bunch of coached up choir boys. So what is posted below is not "message board fodder" or other rubbish that some us get accused of writing on here. Rather, it is facts as reported by a legitimate sports journal.

There has been one team since 1995 that has won a national title without having a top 10 class and that is the 2000 Oklahoma team, of which I didn't know about (I think rivals rankings go back to 2003). However, every championship team except that OU team has had at least two top 10 classes in the four years before its title.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-foo...-titles-020515

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by New Taiton View Post
    As some of you may know - I've maintained that no team has won a national championship in the BCS era and not had a top 10 class within four years of that championship. This is the sole reason why I believe that recruting rankings are so very important and not to be overlooked. I don't care how many 3* played in the Superbowl this year vs. how many 5* did. All I'm concerned with is what they do in college.

There are some on here that called me dumb and told me rankings are worthless etc. and I maintained my ground that no team has won a MNC with a bunch of coached up choir boys. So what is posted below is not "message board fodder" or other rubbish that some us get accused of writing on here. Rather, it is facts as reported by a legitimate sports journal.

There has been one team since 1995 that has won a national title without having a top 10 class and that is the 2000 Oklahoma team, of which I didn't know about (I think rivals rankings go back to 2003). However, every championship team except that OU team has had at least two top 10 classes in the four years before its title.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-foo...-titles-020515
    I'm surprised even one team has done it.

I agree though, a lot of people who cheer for schools who don't land the big time recruits, but have success, are really the only ones who argue that stars don't matter on recruits. There are really only four schools that come to my mind who have almost broken that trend. TCU, Baylor, Boise State (When they were good) and Oregon. Baylor and Oregon are kind of on the same page, they may get one 5* every few years, but it's mostly 3*'s and 4*'s and recruiting classes in the 20's. I don't keep up with TCU's recruiting, but I don't remember ever hearing a big time 5* actually signing there.

If stars don't matter than someone please explain to me how Alabama is in the championship picture EVERY SINGLE YEAR and also have the top recruiting class every year.

Junior Varsity

If stars don't matter than someone please explain to me how Alabama is in the championship picture EVERY SINGLE YEAR and also have the top recruiting class every year.
    Well I know one person who won't be answering this question.....

Junior Varsity

The new playoff system is the worst thing for Alabama's football program and if you don't believe me set back and watch!!!

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by 1stnurseryman View Post
    The new playoff system is the worst thing for Alabama's football program and if you don't believe me set back and watch!!!
    I mean they're batting 1.000 when it comes to actually being in the playoff. More than any team in the Big 12 can claim.

Alabama has 5/4*High school All-American's as backups to 5/4* High school All-Americans not 3* 5A All-Distirct players backing up 3* 1st team All-State players ..... simple as that.

But if you remember Alabama didn't do that in the time between Stallings and Saban and you see how many title games they played in that time period.

USC did it too back in the early 2000's. Ohio State is beginning to get that way now. You watch.

There is a direct correlation between the two.

Junior Varsity

But if you remember Alabama didn't do that in the time between Stallings and Saban and you see how many title games they played in that time period.

USC did it too back in the early 2000's. Ohio State is beginning to get that way now. You watch.

There is a direct correlation between the two.
    Mack Brown deserves the same credit as Texas was the king of recruiting during their two NC runs in 2006 and 2009.

Mack Brown deserves the same credit as Texas was the king of recruiting during their two NC runs in 2006 and 2009.
    Agreed

All-American

Can't argue with that.

Junior Varsity

Agreed
    Can't argue with that.
    Ironic given that the company line in Austin right now is that Mack just recruited stars and didn't develop, etc. He had something like 13 seasons with 10+ wins. But they threw him under the bus after the 2010 debacle. Sad deal.

Ironic given that the company line in Austin right now is that Mack just recruited stars and didn't develop, etc. He had something like 13 seasons with 10+ wins. But they threw him under the bus after the 2010 debacle. Sad deal.
    Agree. They quickly turned on ol Mack.
    Judge a man by his questions rather than by his answers.

-Voltaire

All-American

Those morons are so out of touch with the reality of college athletics. They probably think Mack and his staff forgot how to coach. The year before "Core Values" Charlie got there Mack and his staff did a great job. They were playing for a conference title the last week of the season.

The world caught up with Mack and the horns........sort of the same thing with RC at A&M (minus the MNC). Great teams and programs have a way of making their rivals better.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by NastySlot View Post
    Those morons are so out of touch with the reality of college athletics. They probably think Mack and his staff forgot how to coach. The year before "Core Values" Charlie got there Mack and his staff did a great job. They were playing for a conference title the last week of the season.

The world caught up with Mack and the horns........sort of the same thing with RC at A&M (minus the MNC). Great teams and programs have a way of making their rivals better.
    Nasty, never knew you had some much butt hurt for The University of Texas. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by hookandladder View Post
    I get that you like to troll, but it would be nice if every now and then you make an actual contribution to the board.
    Judge a man by his questions rather than by his answers.

-Voltaire

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by hookandladder View Post

No butt hurt I have family that graduated from Texas...well at least law school. We have good discussions and banter- normally that is true for all the Texas Exes I know.

I was huge fan of the horns growing up attended many a game in Austin and lots of Texas/OU games. I just out grew them, also grew tired of the media bs and really tired of the arrogance (mainly from loud mouths that never even attended school there).

I don't feel there is anything wrong with pulling for a school you never attended, heck I kinda pull for OU a little now. Learned to like them while my son was employed in the Athletic Dept there. but I don't go around singing the praises of the Sooners and ripping rivals. I enjoy watching and them respect their football history....you outta check it out, it's pretty impressive.

Heck I'll even watch the LHN for both baseball and softball. I even have a Horn coach/and friend as a reference on my resume.