Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by YTBulldogs View Post
    Can't get them all in 1 year. I agree, he don't have the type of QB he likes. NM kid threw him a curve for sure. Maybe next year? Nice recruit class though.
    I understand but if something doesnt change dramatically at QB, Charlie might not be around to see this class through. So he didn't get a QB. Next years class is 16, so w a RS year, the soonest that Qb will prob help is 18. That's a long time.

As I said before, Charlie better hope heard is a good one or he may be sunk before he ever gets really going.
    Judge a man by his questions rather than by his answers.

-Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
    I understand but if something doesnt change dramatically at QB, Charlie might not be around to see this class through. So he didn't get a QB. Next years class is 16, so w a RS year, the soonest that Qb will prob help is 18. That's a long time.

As I said before, Charlie better hope heard is a good one or he may be sunk before he ever gets really going.
    Eh, i think Texas fans are happy with the direction things are going. I'd be encouraged if i were in their shoes.

Strong was able to get a nice class despite the miserable season. I dont think anyone expected him to do great last year or next with the situation he inherited. He should be able to at least getter better production from Heard which will solve > 1/2 of their problems.

All-American

You sure are worried about Texas, are you a closet fan. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by hookandladder View Post
    You sure are worried about Texas, are you a closet fan. Lol

Nope. ��

-Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Saggy Aggie View Post
    Eh, i think Texas fans are happy with the direction things are going. I'd be encouraged if i were in their shoes.

Strong was able to get a nice class despite the miserable season. I dont think anyone expected him to do great last year or next with the situation he inherited. He should be able to at least getter better production from Heard which will solve > 1/2 of their problems.
    Which is exactly what I said. They better hope heard is the real deal.

-Voltaire

Which is exactly what I said. They better hope heard is the real deal.
    He doesn't even have to be the real deal. If he's just mediocre they'll improve a lot....

Junior Varsity

all Heard has to do is not be Swoopes... and that is an improvement...

Strong knew that UT was not going to be that good, which is why he decided to red shirt Heard... he gets a year under his belt of straight practice... and now has 4 years... 5 years under Strong may not be a bad thing...

but Heard has to perform... which for any kid is tough, they are all unproven on the college level...

Strong had a top 10 class with solid kids... ATM had a top 10 class... Baylor and TCU are in the top 25... things are trending in the right direction for Texas college football...

hopefully Morris will do a great job at SMU, and he picked up some solid kids... UH received most of their recruits from the Houston area, and Rice picked up some good kids...

Heck, even SFA had a great recruiting class along with Sam...
    yesterday was a great day for Texas College Football

All-American

He doesn't even have to be the real deal. If he's just mediocre they'll improve a lot....
    Very true.

Charlie got a good haul, esp on defense.

The problem is he needed a real QB and some OL help. I think he missed pretty bad in those areas.
    He got the 6 linemen. Including the #2 center. There are two JUCO guys already enrolled and a new signee. At the very least we know there is competition the entire spring and fall.

I am sometimes mistaken, but I am never wrong.

People who buys Macs are stupid.

Sure. However, I mentioned this a couple of weeks ago, he has to replace about six guys on that defense that are going to the nfl. This class coming in is good but Mack created a hole there in a couple of those classes. I don't think the 2-deep on defense is going to be as talented as this past year.

So not only does Charlie have a ton of work to do at QB, he also has to rebuild the defense.

-Voltaire

All-American

Sure. However, I mentioned this a couple of weeks ago, he has to replace about six guys on that defense that are going to the nfl. This class coming in is good but Mack created a hole there in a couple of those classes. I don't think the 2-deep on defense is going to be as talented as this past year.

So not only does Charlie have a ton of work to do at QB, he also has to rebuild the defense.
    Just reloading, Lol

They lose a lot of guys on D, but they've got some good ones coming in too this year.

They'll probably not be quite as good on D but much better on O if Heard can just show a pulse at QB.

Probably another bad year by Texas' standards this coming year, but still improved from 2014. And if Strong can get another top 10 class next year they'll be back to competing like they should

All-American

Ridgeway is going to be a beast next year on the DL, I would be willing to bet as good or better then Brown. The guy was lazy under Mack Brown, Strong challenged his manhood last year and he responded. Also like saggy mentioned, if the offense can move the ball just a little which was pitiful last year then the defense will be fine. Texas success next year will depend more on how much the offense improves, Strong will have the defense ready. Texas defense had no depth last year, with this years LB's and DB's recruits it will be just as good or better. This group will also help right away on special teams which was also very bad, now it is time to coach them up. Hookem.

This should be an interesting offseason for the QBs. The starting position is up for grabs I personally don't think that Swoopes is the guy for UT I know that he got thrown into 1st string when he wasn't ready which most of the time hurts a player but you would think by the end of the season he would be playing better than what he was. Swoopes did show promise every now and then who knows he could grow alot during this offseason. I am curious to see what Heard brings to the table after a year under Strong. Heard was a very good QB in High School and I was impressed when I watched him play. He is a playmaker and keeps plays alive. The Longhorns are heading in the right direction and I'm excited for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Football View Post
    This should be an interesting offseason for the QBs. The starting position is up for grabs I personally don't think that Swoopes is the guy for UT I know that he got thrown into 1st string when he wasn't ready which most of the time hurts a player but you would think by the end of the season he would be playing better than what he was. Swoopes did show promise every now and then who knows he could grow alot during this offseason. I am curious to see what Heard brings to the table after a year under Strong. Heard was a very good QB in High School and I was impressed when I watched him play. He is a playmaker and keeps plays alive. The Longhorns are heading in the right direction and I'm excited for next year.
    Here's what needs to happen with Heard, whom I saw in HS too.

In college, you can't consistently just run around and 'make things happen'. JFF did a good deal of that, but he was an outlier. To be successful, you have to make accurate throws from the pocket on a consistent basis. That is why Swoopes had trouble and, that was the issue with Heard in HS. He made most of his plays with his feet and throwing the ball after he's made something happen with his feet. Boykin at TCU is a perfect example. He struggled the previous two years because he didn't consistently deliver the ball accurately from the pocket. They got a new OC in and they built a system around him and he started being more accurate and making big throws from the pocket.

Having mobility is great and it really adds a dimension to an offense, but it has been true forever and still is to this day. The QBs job is to deliver the ball accurately and on time to receivers.

I think UT will really regret missing on Gentry.

-Voltaire