Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
    All-American

Default Argyle at Celina

Might as well get this one going. There aren't many Bobcat posters around anymore, for whatever reason. But I know the Argyle faithful are alive and well, and well spoken on here.

This has the makings of a very good matchup this season. Argyle is a top 5 team in DI and the Bobcats are a top 5 team in DII. Both are undefeated with two quality wins under their belt, although I clearly give the schedule difficulty nod to the Eagles. Wins over Wylie and 5A Denison are a little more impressive than Celina's wins over Liberty Christian (thought they're a good TAPPS team, for what that's worth) and Dallas Bryan Adams.

These two teams have squared off seven times since 2004. Celina won the first three matchups by a combined score of 128-33, and Argyle has pretty well dominated the last four in a row by a combined score of 178-63. Last year's matchup was the closest of the series, with the Eagles rallying late for a 41-29 victory.

Coming into this year, there's no question that each team is very talented and has title hopes. Even without UNC signee Nathan Elliot at QB, Celina looks to be a better team this season, especially defensively. The Eagles, on the other hand, brought back a load of talent, but lost the QB and all-everything RB Nick Ralston, who won the game almost single handedly last season.

In two games this year, Argyle is averaging 317.5 yards and 35 points per game on offense. They've been fairly balanced, with 119 yards rushing and 198.5 yards passing per game.

Celina, on the other hand has been very explosive on offense, averaging 461.5 yards and 47 points per game. The Bobcats have averaged 239.5 yards (7 total TD) on the ground and 222 yards (5 total TD) through the air.

Defensively, Argyle has allowed 363.5 yards and 21 points per game (115.5 rush, 222 pass), but those numbers are a bit skewed, because I'm sure Denison put up a lot of points/yards against 2nd and 3rd string Eagles — some of the Argyle faithful can probably chime in a bit more on that.

The Bobcats have given up 297.5 yards and 24 points per game this season (80.5 rush, 219.5 pass). Much the same, the numbers are misleading. Celina's starting defense has essentially given up just 19 total points this season, with the rest coming against the 2nd and 3rd string defenses. The Bobcats' best cover corner is also still out with a thumb injury until district.

Whichever way you shape it or frame it, this looks to be like a solid matchup. I think you've got to give the edge to Argyle simply based on recent history, early season strength of schedule and returning starters. That said, this could very well be the year the Bobcats get back on top of this rivalry.

Here's to a week of healthy practices and an incredible environment at Bobcat Stadium come Friday! Go Bobcats!

Letterman

Give me Argyle by 17...the best team other than Navasota in division 1

All-American

Argyle. Big.

Starter

It will be a good gauge for a new Celina team. For years there was a lot of hype around the Class of 2015 and with that
    gone, the supporting cast is stepping in (UP ?). Love what we've seen so far and look forward to what is always a guarantee
    with Argyl these days... a TEST!

Junior Varsity

As always, this will be another good game to see. My prediction is Argyle by 10

Starter

Hey I love my Bobcats , but I think the Argyle offensive line will control this game. I think Argyle will score at least 40 points on us and we will struggle to get 20.

All-American

On paper, it's just hard to pick against Argyle. But I do think this Celina team has the ability to come away with a big win this Friday. I'm with RPF, though. Win or lose, the Bobcats should walk away with a good idea of where they're at as a team this season. There's no doubt the Eagles are title contenders, and if the Bobcats want to be title contenders too, Friday should tell us a lot about whether or not that's a reality.

I think Celina is a legitimate title contender this year, however. I think this Bobcat defense is pretty far ahead of where the defense was a year ago. Not to mention, from people I've talked to around town, the team just seems to have a different, intangible feel to it than last year's squad.

The key in this game will come down to whether or not the Bobcats defensive line can hold its own against Argyle's big front, and make some plays in the backfield or create some pressure on the quarterback. On the offensive side of the ball, you've got to feed the horse and let him run. If Celina can establish a running attack early with Alexander, it could be a fun night for the Bobcats. I think Pingleton took some big steps last week at QB, even if it was against Bryan Adams, and I think he has plenty of weapons on the outside to create some problems for Argyle and soften up that secondary a bit with a pretty good passing attack.

All-American

No doubt, Argyle will show you what you need to work on and expose your weaknesses. Beating up on weaker teams may look good on paper and poils but does nothing to improve your team.

All-District

Gonna go with the Eagles by 14...a lot of folks, me included have wanted to see what they can do without #22.....before long we might be thinking that ole "be careful what you wish for"

All-American
    Blog Entries

It's so easy to discount Celina in this matchup.....mainly because of what has happened in the past 4 meetings. BUT......every season should stand on its own merits, and so far Celina has looked very capable and does have some support from the polls. The game will be played IN CELINA.....so that's another variable to consider. They've got that good RB Jarren Alexander, and some big ol' boys on the O-line. Celina's always had athletes, so playing them at their place with the rivalry thing going on year in and year out for quite a while, you just can't automatically say "Argyle wins big". I really don't think Argyle will win "big" in this one.....by one point would be great!!!.
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

Junior Varsity

Definitely gonna be a good one. I think I'm gonna camp out under the bleachers on the visitor side the night before. Make sure I get a seat for this one. Friday Night can't come soon enough.

Letterman

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Definitely gonna be a good one. I think I'm gonna camp out under the bleachers on the visitor side the night before. Make sure I get a seat for this one. Friday Night can't come soon enough.
    I enjoyed watching Sadler play in the Texas Tech game. I hope he gets even more involved as the season goes on.

Good game early, Argyle wins

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by regaleagle View Post
    It's so easy to discount Celina in this matchup.....mainly because of what has happened in the past 4 meetings. BUT......every season should stand on its own merits, and so far Celina has looked very capable and does have some support from the polls. The game will be played IN CELINA.....so that's another variable to consider. They've got that good RB Jarren Alexander, and some big ol' boys on the O-line. Celina's always had athletes, so playing them at their place with the rivalry thing going on year in and year out for quite a while, you just can't automatically say "Argyle wins big". I really don't think Argyle will win "big" in this one.....by one point would be great!!!.

I think that's a bit of what happens. Celina used to be on the receiving end of people saying, 'Celina big' for a long time. Recent history has slowed that, however, and the Eagles are now in that situation. But when you look at some of the matchups in this game, it appears a bit more balanced. I thought coming into this season there was a good chance Celina could be even better than the team that was hyped last year, and it certainly appears to be the case. I think Celina has enough offensive weapons and a defense that has improved enough to allow the Bobcats to pull off the upset.

Argyle is Argyle, so they have to be the clear favorites by virtue of what they've done in the past five-six years. But i think Celina establishes itself as a legitimate state title contender with a big win on Friday. The Bobcats are in need of a signature win like this, too. Been a while since Celina has gutted out a game it wasn't supposed to win against a superior team. A win like that pays dividends down the road.

Eagles by 14