All-American
    Blog Entries

Default Goliad(6-1) @ Mathis(5-1)

Looks like Goliad has another important game in district this week against the Mathis Pirates. Goliad was listed this week in the AP Poll for 3A as #11, finally cracking the Top Twenty for the first time this season. I have done some due diligence regarding the schedules and games played by both of these teams. Goliad's only loss came against 2A power #7 Shiner, who just lost in overtime to #1 ranked Refugio in 2A this past week. Goliad lost that game 34-29 in Week 3 of the season. Mathis lost their only game of the season in Week 2 to a 2A power also....Refugio, haha. That score was 56-13. Goliad has averaged a little over 45 pts/game(318 in 7 games) while giving up about 14 pts/game(96) versus their schedule. Mathis has scored a total of 250 pts. and given up 156 pts. in just 6 games played against their schedule. Well who has played the "tougher" schedule? Let's take a look:

Goliad Tigers 2014 (6-1)
    8/29 Victoria St. Joseph(1-6) 52-0 W
    9/05 Odem(5-1) 47-7 W
    9/12 Shiner(5-1) 34-29 L
    9/19 Ganado(2-4) 47-12 W
    9/26 Industrial(0-6) 47-0 W
    10/3 Tidehaven(5-1) 56-20 W
    10/10 Hallettsville(4-3) 40-23 W

Mathis Pirates 2014 (5-1)
    8/29 Banquete(1-5) 34-21 W
    9/05 Refugio(6-0) 56-13 L
    9/12 Poteet(0-6) 66-12 W
    9/19 Lyford(2-4) 52-46 W
    9/26 Stockdale(1-5) 28-14 W
    10/3 Freer(0-7) 57-7 W
    Last edited by regaleagle; 10-14-2014 at 02:12 PM.
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

All-American
    Blog Entries

I think we call all derive certain conclusions about the above schedules. Looks like Goliad played the "tougher" schedule and in the process scored more points per game while holding their opponents to less points per game than did Mathis with their schedule. BUT.....this is Texas high school football and anything can happen on a Friday nite under the lights. What you have is 2 teams that have pretty much won every game on their schedule...excepting one each to a highly ranked opponent in Class 2A. To me, that means this game this week is up for grabs....that you can throw the schedules out the window....and the game is a home game for Mathis. I'd have to say Goliad is the favorite, naturally....but Mathis is coming off their bye week in which they've had 2 weeks to get healthy and get ready for Goliad. You know they scouted last week's game between Goliad and Hallettsville. That was an emotional DQ Big Game of the Week in which both teams had something to prove to the other. Goliad may carry that emotion forward this week, or could have a letdown....nobody knows. That will make this game in Mathis this week all the more interesting. Personally, since I'm a Goliad Tiger alum, I'm taking Goliad in this battle on the Gridiron of Glory by 2 TD's. Mathis has proven they can put up the points. Goliad has proven the same, and appears to have a better defense. We'll get to see what happens come Friday nite in Mathis. GRRR Go Get Em TIGERS!!! BIG BLUE ALL THE WAY!!!
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.