Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Tyler Jones starting QB for Texas State

Read on twitter that Tyler Jones got the start in the Bobcats 42-21 win over Wyoming.
    "Hay in the barn is like money in the bank"

Quote Originally Posted by Manso/V8 View Post
    Read on twitter that Tyler Jones got the start in the Bobcats 42-21 win over Wyoming.
    That's good stuff!
    Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledgehammer!

All-American
    Blog Entries

That's my alma mater. Got a good coach and a good qb now. Look out for these Bobcats now. They are building a program at San Marcos and have the location and drawing card to do it.
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

Practice Squad

Tyler Jones is a quality player. Is the s'ville reciever seeing the field? (we dont speak his name in El Campo..gives us nightmares!)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spanish Camp View Post
    Tyler Jones is a quality player. Is the s'ville reciever seeing the field? (we dont speak his name in El Campo..gives us nightmares!)
    You mean Bryce Gunter??? Say it again... Bruce Gunter?

I haven't heard. I heard T Jones was going to be red shirted and B Gunter would see the field. But this was a surprise for me to see T Jones starting this past week. Good stuff.
    STEPHENVILLE YELLOWJACKET FOOTBALL
    STATE CHAMPS 1993, 1994, 1998, 1999, 2012, 2021

STEPHENVILLE HONEYBEE SOCCER
    STATE CHAMPS 2017, 2019

I'm a Texas State season ticket holder and the fan base is excited about the Tyler Jones era. I Only got to see it live for a little over a quarter because of the 3 1/2 hour rain/lightning delay, but left impressed. Brice Gunter has seen the field but it has been late in the game. Texas State does have a lot of young talent and should compete in the Sun Belt.

Tyler Jones is greatness.. I knew he would show it sooner, rather than later for the Bobcats!!!

All-American

I am really surprised I haven't seen Bryce Gunter's name in the stat box.

I read something about the team rallying behind Jones as a natural leader.
    Pretty impressive for a freshman, especially a QB, to learn a college system and earn the respect of his teammates that quickly.
    What kind of offense does Texas State run?
    "Hay in the barn is like money in the bank"

This game was on the Longhorn Network. LOL. They kept the coverage going in spite of the delay. Stayed up late to watch. Coach Fran has something special going on here in San Marcos. Got win 200 of his career with this game. Bobcats are a fun team to watch!

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Manso/V8 View Post
    I read something about the team rallying behind Jones as a natural leader.
    Pretty impressive for a freshman, especially a QB, to learn a college system and earn the respect of his teammates that quickly.
    What kind of offense does Texas State run?
    My guess would be something similar to what Fran was running at A&M but a little more passing.

Tyler Jones is now above another former 3a QB on the depth chart there.

Quote Originally Posted by hollywood View Post
    You mean Bryce Gunter??? Say it again... Bruce Gunter?

I haven't heard. I heard T Jones was going to be red shirted and B Gunter would see the field. But this was a surprise for me to see T Jones starting this past week. Good stuff.
    I heard the Friday before the TTech that whole incoming FR class was going to be Red Shirted, then Jones got the start against Wyoming. I believe the TTech game was the last game before the players had to be declared a RS or not. I am pretty sure that if Gunter didn't play in the Wyoming game that he will be RS'ed.

After the TT game Fran decided he needed a change. Here is the article that was in the SM paper:

http://www.sanmarcosrecord.com/conte...-all-set-shine

Jones is all set to shine

Texas State freshman quarterback Tyler Jones runs for a long gain during Saturday's game against Wyoming (Photo by Steven P. Kenney).

By
    Tyler Mayforth — Sports Editor

Whether it was fate or serendipity, Texas State head coach Dennis Franchione and true freshman Tyler Jones stood next to each other late in the fourth quarter of last Saturday’s game at Texas Tech.

By that time, the Bobcats were well on their way to a 33-7 loss and the offense struggled once again. Texas State turned the ball over three times in the course of 16 plays between the first and second quarter, and punted eight times against the Red Raiders, which brought its season total to 22.

Something had to change soon and Franchione wanted to know if Jones could provide the spark.

“Do you think you can do better,” Franchione asked Jones, who won the Division I, Class 3A state championship last year at Stephenville High.

“I’m not one to brag about myself, but I can show you,” Jones said.

Franchione looked at Jones and told him, while his confidence is great, he’d need to respond in a way that the third-year head coach could relay to his offensive coaching staff that would leave no doubt they’d want to move forward with him in the rotation at quarterback, which burned a possible redshirt.

“Darn betcha I can do better,” Jones said.

While the problems the offense had through three games weren’t directly tied to the performance of senior Tyler Arndt and redshirt freshman Jordan Moore, their inability to manage the first-team unit certainly didn’t help matters.

“I felt if we weren’t productive after three games that we’d turn to him (Jones),” Franchione said Friday night. “We’ve been very open with the quarterbacks about that.”

Then last Sunday, Franchione let Jones run with the first-team offense. Arndt, who fought so hard to start these last three years, accepted the move and went back to second-team reps.

Even though Jones looked solid in a practice contested in helmets and shorts, Franchione wanted to see more out of the Most Valuable Player of the Division I, Class 3A state championship game. Franchione closed practice for the rest of the week and threw just about everything he could at Jones.

“We put pressure on him to make plays,” Franchione said. “We wanted to prepare him for Saturday night if we went that route.”

Once Jones had four practices under his belt and the coaching staff watched enough tape to feel comfortable, Franchione informed the true freshman of his decision.

“I told him after Thursday’s practice he’d be the starting quarterback on Saturday,” Franchione said. “I told him, ‘We wouldn’t put you out there if we didn’t feel confident you could do this.’ Tyler said, ‘I know, Coach. Thank you.’ That was it. He’s a humble, mature kid.”

Then, like he said he would on the sideline in Lubbock, Jones showed Franchione and his coaching staff just how dynamic he could be in his first college start.

Jones led the Bobcats on a seven-play, 66-yard drive on their opening possession that resulted in a 1-yard touchdown run by sophomore running back Robert Lowe. During that drive Jones accounted for 60 yards, of which included a slice-and-dice, 38-yard run through Wyoming’s defense.

It wasn’t all glitz and glamour for Jones, who was a 3-star recruit out of high school. Jones threw an ill-advised pass that was intercepted and two Cowboys crunched him when he tried to run a draw up the middle.

No matter what happened in the game, Franchione wanted to see if Jones could handle it. Jones probably did enough to earn his place in the rotation going forward.

“Maybe he’s our future. Maybe he’s the present. Maybe he’s second team and not the starter,” Franchione said. “We need to find out and the only way to do that was to play him.”
    Ville-D is back...

Blog Entries

I was up late and watched some of this. The kid was very good and composed for a freshman.
    You Talking to Me?

Blog Entries

Great article above Ville-D.

Jones has a gift and his humble confidence is contagious. He's what you call a silent leader. He doesn't have to talk his way into that role, he just does it. Very level headed person who doesn't get rattled. Proud for him. Shows how a HS program like Stephenville's and many others can develope players for the next level. QB factory in full effect.
    STEPHENVILLE YELLOWJACKET FOOTBALL
    STATE CHAMPS 1993, 1994, 1998, 1999, 2012, 2021

STEPHENVILLE HONEYBEE SOCCER
    STATE CHAMPS 2017, 2019