Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Junior Varsity

If the sec has two teams finish in the top four ranking then I have no problem with it, if they do not finish in the top four then it's a no.
    Why? Rankings don't have anything to do with playoff selections.

Yeah sure, SEC West teams have played some real tough teams - Lamar, Rice, SMU, Lou-Laff, UAB, Memphis, Fla-Atl, San Jose St, Lou Tech, Sam Houston, UL-Mon, New Mexico St, Nichols St, N. Ill. Playing teams like that is why you have that lofty record, but also why you won't get the respect you're craving.

The wins over Boise St, West Virginia, Kansas St, Wisconsin & Texas Tech are good wins, but those games are far and few in between the lousy schedules the SEC West plays.
    Towson, North Texas, SFA, UTEP, Missouri State, UTSA, La Tech, Tulsa, North Dakota State, Toledo, Samford, SMU, Central Arkansas, SE Missouri State, Central Michigan, Northwestern State, Buffalo.

P5 wins - Tennessee, Iowa, Minnesota
    P5 losses - BYU (maybe), UCLA, Arkansas, Auburn, Duke
    TBD - Maryland

Really?

Not to mention - the entire Big 12 gets to play Kansas and Iowa State (lost to N. Dakota State).

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by BwdLions View Post
    Yeah sure, SEC West teams have played some real tough teams - Lamar, Rice, SMU, Lou-Laff, UAB, Memphis, Fla-Atl, San Jose St, Lou Tech, Sam Houston, UL-Mon, New Mexico St, Nichols St, N. Ill. Playing teams like that is why you have that lofty record, but also why you won't get the respect you're craving.

The wins over Boise St, West Virginia, Kansas St, Wisconsin & Texas Tech are good wins, but those games are far and few in between the lousy schedules the SEC West plays.
    So true.

Quote Originally Posted by New Taiton View Post
    Why? Rankings don't have anything to do with playoff selections.

Towson, North Texas, SFA, UTEP, Missouri State, UTSA, La Tech, Tulsa, North Dakota State, Toledo, Samford, SMU, Central Arkansas, SE Missouri State, Central Michigan, Northwestern State, Buffalo.

P5 wins - Tennessee, Iowa, Minnesota
    P5 losses - BYU (maybe), UCLA, Arkansas, Auburn, Duke
    TBD - Maryland

Really?

Not to mention - the entire Big 12 gets to play Kansas and Iowa State (lost to N. Dakota State).
    Do you hear Big XII fans whining about getting no respect? My responses have been because I get tired of hearing how great the SEC is. Sure, the SEC the best conference in college football. No one on here is debating that. They should be. They have more teams that any other conference. They are located right in the middle of the states with the best high school talent. I just get tired of hearing how great these teams are. I'm just saying that most of the SEC non-conference schedules are not worth bragging about.

Junior Varsity

I'll do this one by one for you:

Do you hear Big XII fans whining about getting no respect?
    Yes. Baylor. I promise if you go to the their board, they're up in arms about Ole Miss and Mississppi State jumping them.

My responses have been because I get tired of hearing how great the SEC is. Sure, the SEC the best conference in college football. No one on here is debating that. They should be.
    It didn't bother any of the Big 12 guys prior to August 1, 2012. Why does it bother you now?

I'm just saying that most of the SEC non-conference schedules are not worth bragging about.
    Why so much focus on the OOC games? Why not focus on the conference games.

A&M falls back to reality with back-to-back losses

By Brent Zwerneman October 12, 2014

COLLEGE STATION - Texas A&M long ago shelved its once modest name, the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas, but Aggies never stopped priding themselves on rolling up their soiled sleeves and taking a blue-collar approach to tasks at hand.

Along the way, Aggies bemusedly chuckled at others tucked away in ivory towers, pontificating on how to get things done - while they simply went about actually getting things done, often among fields of green on that agricultural front.

Quote:

The type of hard-nosed defense No. 3 Mississippi plays had no problem handling A&M's finesse-oriented offense Saturday night at Kyle Field, including a stuffing of running back Tra Carson during the second half.
    Bringing us to the state of Texas A&M football, a decided exception to anything old-school, agricultural, mechanical or modest in its approach to trying to triumph on its own field of green. The Aggies are bursting at the seams with swagger, glitter and glamour, but what they're lacking three years into the Kevin Sumlin Swagxperiment is the substance needed to truly compete in the Southeastern Conference West Division.

That's been unglamorously evident in the last two weeks, when Mississippi State (48-31) and then Mississippi (35-20) swatted the swag right out of the Aggies, who are regressing each week in Sumlin's third season (and at this rate, annually as well). A&M football's official ode to conceit and swag, @AggieFBLife on the social media website Twitter, enjoys repetitively posting "#WRTS" - standing for We Run This State.

Last league title: 1998

In truth, the Aggies haven't won anything in league play since 1998, when they took their lone Big 12 title under coach R.C. Slocum behind blue-collar leaders like linebacker Dat Nguyen and tight end Dan Campbell. Sumlin has strung together a couple of strong recruiting classes, but for now that alleged talent is not showing up on the field save for receiver Speedy Noil and defensive end Myles Garrett, a fellow freshman.

There's no shame in losing to the current No. 1 and No. 3 teams in the nation, of course, but it's the manner in which the Aggies have gone about it in the past two weeks that has most upset their fans, who stepped up in a big way in the past year for a $450 million renovation of Kyle Field that's resulted in steeper ticket prices and a more expensive game-day experience in general.

A&M, with its sweet uniforms and catchy slogans and sophisticated use of social media, has looked as if it's going through the motions early in what should be its biggest games of the season, all where it counts the most: that field of green.

Sumlin, both at the University of Houston and A&M, has proved himself to be a good coach, one with a flair for a festive lifestyle off the field that's worth keeping an eye on by A&M brass but also quite cool to recruits. For instance, rapper Stalley recently on ESPN described Sumlin as "the life of the party" at a bash at rapper Rick Ross' Miami digs that both Sumlin and Johnny Manziel attended while the latter was still quarterbacking the Aggies, Stalley said.

Quote:

Mississippi quarterback Bo Wallace, left, scored twice in the first quarter as A&M got off to a slow start for the second straight game.
    Even those old-school Aggies who believe in substance over style have mostly turned their weathered cheeks in the first couple of years, realizing style and swag (and an artsy barbershop in a plush new locker room) can help land some of the land's top talent.

It's true - it can. Still, Sumlin's challenge moving forward is transitioning such swagger and glitter into actual toughness on the field - the kind old A&M players long prided themselves on while changing into their uniforms in the oft-described dungeons under the west-side stands of Kyle.

Questions abound

There are many pressing, less big-picture questions, of course, to answer about this backpedaling program a little more than halfway through the regular season:

Can this type of finesse offense, minus a playmaking quarterback like Manziel, regularly succeed in the SEC? Why does the defense get rolled early before finally semi-adjusting, and why are A&M's defenders perpetually young in Sumlin's third season? Where are all the touted receivers in a suddenly stumbling offense, and what about the supposed handful of talented running backs? How overrated is this porous offensive line, and was its early success in the SEC due to the prior toughness and recruiting of fired coach Mike Sherman, whose specialty was the offensive line?

The Aggies have multiple specific inquiries to answer moving forward, but perhaps most troubling for fans is the bigger-picture aspect of what's going on of late with the blowout losses. A&M stunned South Carolina 52-28 in the season opener, prompting a satisfied Sumlin to proclaim that A&M certainly wasn't a "one-trick pony" in the absence of the 2012 Heisman Trophy winner Manziel, now with the Cleveland Browns.

South Carolina has since shown itself as a poor team, so whether the Aggies (5-2, 2-2), currently fifth in the SEC West, own more than one trick is still to be determined.

Sumlin, 50, is 25-8 over his first three seasons at A&M, and the Aggies' 11-2 finish in 2012, capped by a Cotton Bowl whipping of Oklahoma, has earned him goodwill even well in his third season, although a coach like Sherman was expected to start competing for league titles by his third year at A&M.

The first signs the Aggies still had a ways to go occurred a year ago. They started the 2013 season ranked in the Top 10 but finished 9-4 in Manziel's final year, thanks primarily to a squishy defense. Along the way, Sumlin and his agent turned overtures from the likes of Southern California and the NFL into a $2 million dollar raise to the tune of $5 million annually, making Sumlin among the nation's highest-paid college coaches who've never so much as sniffed a conference title.

Alabama up next

The Aggies will hit the road to face No. 7 Alabama on Saturday, with another chance to show they've got much more in their satchels than self-pomp and pageantry.

More bite and less bark at this point would certainly help reassure those old, deep-pocketed Aggies who've spent a lifetime actually producing results instead of simply yapping about things to date unachieved.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spor...es-5818565.php

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by hookandladder View Post
    So true.
    I won't lie, the only team who usually schedules a ranked opponent in out of conference is LSU, I.E. Oregon, TCU, Wisconsin to name a few over the past few years. But they do this solely because they know it takes an absolute act of God to go undefeated in the SEC West. Why schedule another difficult game when everyone who votes in the polls and what not already see you as the best conference? It's not their fault every other conference let them win 7 or 8 straight national championships. They deserve the bias right now to be called the best conference in the country until they go 2-3 years without even getting a team in the National Championship game.

All-District

Yes. Baylor. I promise if you go to the their board, they're up in arms about Ole Miss and Mississppi State jumping them.

It didn't bother any of the Big 12 guys prior to August 1, 2012. Why does it bother you now?

As someone who went to Baylor, I'm not crying at all about Baylor getting jumped. I don't think they're that good and Ole Miss and Mississippi State have added multiple quality wins to Baylor's one quality win over what I think to be a mediocre TCU team.

All-American

Does all this really mean anything as long as atm continues to suck in the sec, you can bragg all you want about being in the sec and continue to be middle of the pack all you want. Whoop, sec, sec , what good does that do for atm, It's like the old saying goes the cream will always rise to the top and it does not matter how you got there. You can dog the Big 12 all you want but all that matters is getting in the playoff, no doubt that will be easier to do coming out of the Big 12. Who gives a ratts ass, you still got to beat the best to win a NC. Hookem.

Junior Varsity

Does all this really mean anything as long as atm continues to suck in the sec, you can bragg all you want about being in the sec and continue to be middle of the pack all you want. Whoop, sec, sec , what good does that do for atm, It's like the old saying goes the cream will always rise to the top and it does not matter how you got there. You can dog the Big 12 all you want but all that matters is getting in the playoff, no doubt that will be easier to do coming out of the Big 12. Who gives a ratts ass, you still got to beat the best to win a NC. Hookem.
    Why post this drivel when you can respond to the questions posed?

I answered Bwd question in that response and then you post a bunch of non-sense. Why?

Is it selfsish of me that I wish you had 39,500 posts instead of only 3,950? Lol.

You can dog the Big 12 all you want but all that matters is getting in the playoff, no doubt that will be easier to do coming out of the Big 12.
    If the sec has two teams finish in the top four ranking then I have no problem with it, if they do not finish in the top four then it's a no.
    There is a playoff committee of real people to pick who will make the playoffs. Rankings have nothing to do with the committee's decision. There could be a time when the Big 12 champion does not make the playoff. There will never be a time when the SEC champion does not make the playoffs.

All-District

What does A&M's OOC schedule look like for the next few years?

I just saw on Twitter that LSU has a team from a power five conference scheduled for the next decade, including this year. I hope other SEC teams continue to do the same.

Junior Varsity

What does A&M's OOC schedule look like for the next few years?

I just saw on Twitter that LSU has a team from a power five conference scheduled for the next decade, including this year. I hope other SEC teams continue to do the same.
    Arizona State in 2015
    UCLA in 2016 and 2017
    Oregon in 2018 and 2019
    Notre Dame in 2024 and 2025

All-American

Why post this drivel when you can respond to the questions posed?

I answered Bwd question in that response and then you post a bunch of non-sense. Why?

Is it selfsish of me that I wish you had 39,500 posts instead of only 3,950? Lol.

There is a playoff committee of real people to pick who will make the playoffs. Rankings have nothing to do with the committee's decision. There could be a time when the Big 12 champion does not make the playoff. There will never be a time when the SEC champion does not make the playoffs.
    You know what they say about opinions , they are like aholes everybody has one. You are definitely full of sec, you might be more beleiveable if your team had every won anything. Lol

Junior Varsity

You know what they say about opinions , they are like aholes everybody has one. You are definitely full of sec, you might be more beleiveable if your team had every won anything. Lol
    What opinions are you referring to?

What has your team won? I'm not talking about your son's team (which is nothing as well), I'm asking about your team. What have they won?

You haven't answered a question yet, so I assume you'll deflect those as well....

All-American

What opinions are you referring to?

What has your team won? I'm not talking about your son's team, I'm asking about your team. What have they won?

You haven't answered a question yet, so I assume you'll deflect those as well....
    Not quite sure what team your referring to, are you talking about my playing days or are you talking about the teams I follow. A little more info. would help, have to admitt I am a little confused.Guess that happens when you get old, Lol

Junior Varsity

Not quite sure what team your referring to, are you talking about my playing days or are you talking about the teams I follow. A little more info. would help, have to admitt I am a little confused.Guess that happens when you get old, Lol
    Who cares about what teams a person "follows". I went to Texas A&M. You went where? That's the team I'm referring to.

Besides - this is standard Longhorn procedure...firing up the Delorean and taking us back in the day when Texas was good. Remind us hook, how good did Texas used to be? Lol. Tell Marty and Doc I said hello.