Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Navasota

Default Navasota

Not hearing much from the Rattler folks lately---looks to me like Navasota has it going again.

We're here.

IMO, the 2014 edition is not as strong overall as the 2012 team. The defense is good but not as good. Offensive, the Rattlers have always been able to score points. They remind me of the 2008 team that loss to La Vega or the 2009 team that loss to Gilmer both in the Quarterfinals. Quick strick offenses. Good defense but not the 2012 type of defense. What does that mean? Carthage is having a down year, then there are the split divisions. Does Navasota have what it takes to win the title? Dividing the divisions definitely will help with the likes of WOS, Gilmer, Fairfield, etc being in division II.

Coldspring has been our closest game. The score was 14-14 at the half after a downpour. Navasota ended up winning 35-14. It was definitely the tale of 2 halves. The game that we expected to see from the Rattlers was reflected in the second half.

Then, I try to get a better assessment of the team by comparing scores. Navasota 62- Nuevo Leon 0, Nuevo Leon 10- Galveston Ball 7, La Marque 12- Ball 6. IMO, Nuevo Leon was horrible. So, is Navasota that good? Is La Marque that bad? Yes, I am aware that Ball is a rilvary game... even more of a reason for the Cougars to have crush a weak Ball Tors team.

Our final test of the season will be in 3 weeks when the Rattlers travel to Sealy. And, from what I've read on the Tigers, the Rattlers shouldn't have any problems with Sealy.

With a little luck, timely plays and turnovers, & favorable matchups, the Rattlers just may end up in Arlington come December.
    Last edited by HEMOTOXIC; 09-25-2014 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HEMOTOXIC View Post
    We're here.

IMO, the 2014 edition is not as strong overall as the 2012 team. The defense is good but not as good. Offensive, the Rattlers have always been able to score points. They remind me of the 2008 team that loss to La Vega or the 2009 team that loss to Gilmer both in the Quarterfinals. Quick strick offenses. Good defense but not the 2012 type of defense. What does that mean? Carthage is having a down year, then there are the split divisions. Does Navasota have what it takes to win the title? Dividing the divisions definitely will help with the likes of WOS, Gilmer, Fairfield, etc being in division II.

Coldspring has been our closest game. The score was 14-14 at the half after a downpour. Navasota ended up winning 35-14. It was definitely the tale of 2 halves. The game that we expected to see from the Rattlers was reflected in the second half.

Then, I try to get a better assessment of the team by comparing scores. Navasota 62- Nuevo Leon 0, Nuevo Leon 10- Galveston Ball 7, La Marque 12- Ball 6. IMO, Nuevo Leon was horrible. So, is Navasota that good? Is La Marque that bad? Yes, I am aware that Ball is a rilvary game... even more of a reason for the Cougars to have crush a weak Ball Tors team.

Our final test of the season will be in 3 weeks when the Rattlers travel to Sealy. And, from what I've read on the Tigers, the Rattlers shouldn't have any problems with Sealy.

With a little luck, timely plays and turnovers, & favorable matchups, the Rattlers just may end up in Arlington come December.
    Thx for the report, Hemo---I just felt that Navasota may be hiding their "light' under a bushel a little. I also think the Rattlers have every chance for playing for it all this season. We shall see.

All-American

Hemo, you are pretty on about your assessment. Here are some of my thoughts at this point in the season:

The Rattler first offense is very good and can score from anywhere on the field and fast. The skill positions are way above average and the QB is so much more mature this year than he was last year. The line is playing pretty well to this point and I think they will be fine as the year progresses.

Defensively, the Rattlers are not near the level they were iat the end of the 2012 SC year, but they are playing pretty good so far. The run defense has had some issues that have shown improvement every week. The linebacker corp is not that big, but they tackle well and cover alot of ground. The secondary is solid so far. It is hard to judge this bunch since the competition has been weak in a lot of cases.

Overall, I am pleased with the Rattlers when I look realistically. I noticed that last week they played a total of 31 players on offense in the first half alone. That is digging deep on the depth charts and they still scored on almost every possession. On defense, they played 27 players in the first half and that was with little let down in quality. The second half's , except for the Coldspring game have looked disappointing, but, there are so many people playing and in and out that there is a difficult time developing any consistency.

Right now, I don't see anyone in this region that should stop the Rattlers from making the quarterfinals. However, there are several teams that are gonna be much better at the playoff time and we will have to avoid injuries and grade problems to stay at this level.
    In a perfect world, I would always be a winner---Why is it that I find it so hard to reach perfection???

Yes, Epler is much more comfortable. It will be interesting to see how far we go this year.

Side note, Coldspring defeated an undefeated Terry Ranger team tonight in Rosenberg. Maybe that Trojan win tells more about the Rattlers after all.

I am just patiently observing their progress from afar. I wish Navasota would schedule some central Texas teams instead of running up and down 45. It isn't easy to get away for a long Friday evening with the little ones. Give me a Boerne or Champion home and home anyday!

Quote Originally Posted by navscanmaster View Post
    I am just patiently observing their progress from afar. I wish Navasota would schedule some central Texas teams instead of running up and down 45. It isn't easy to get away for a long Friday evening with the little ones. Give me a Boerne or Champion home and home anyday!
    I agree. Unfortunately, scheduling was an issue for the Rattlers. I will be able to see them tonight in Funky Town. I'm in Lewisville now.

Practice Squad

Quote Originally Posted by navscanmaster View Post
    LOL!! Nobody wants to play "Nasty"

Letterman

Hemo and OB I have to disagree with ya,'ll on the defense as compared to the 2012 defense . First of all the 2012 Defense gave up 34 points after 5 games and the 2014 Defense has given up 33 points , but all together it is 40 points for the season against the Rattlers 7 of Yates 14 points was on the offense due to a interception returned for a td. As for the offense they have scored 58 more points than the 2012 team. Secondly we won't known how good they will be until the play offs. Oh and in the 2nd half of the Coldspring game the Rattler D held them to 75 yards of offense and 0 points.
    thanks espn1 for my sign.
    " FEEL THE BITE "

All-American

Navasota is the best team in 4A. That is all
    Originally posted by Ranger Mom
    Umm...what is a sweet beaver??
    the best kind???

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by lostaussie View Post
    Navasota is the best team in 4A. That is all
    I see what you did there!

All-American

Its only right.......may start a thread with every 4a team as the best......just saying
    Originally posted by Ranger Mom
    Umm...what is a sweet beaver??
    the best kind???

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by venomous tat2 View Post
    Hemo and OB I have to disagree with ya,'ll on the defense as compared to the 2012 defense . First of all the 2012 Defense gave up 34 points after 5 games and the 2014 Defense has given up 33 points , but all together it is 40 points for the season against the Rattlers 7 of Yates 14 points was on the offense due to a interception returned for a td. As for the offense they have scored 58 more points than the 2012 team. Secondly we won't known how good they will be until the play offs. Oh and in the 2nd half of the Coldspring game the Rattler D held them to 75 yards of offense and 0 points.
    VT, I am definitely not being critical of the defense on this year's team. I just believe that the 2012 defense showed so much growth every week and became one of the stoutest defenses in the state by year end. I believe that this defense has that same potential. It has been kinda hard to judge so far because the starters have only really played one full game and they did get stronger in the second half of that game. The biggest difference between this defense and the 2012 team is the focus is so spread on this team and Wells was the dominant player then.
    In a perfect world, I would always be a winner---Why is it that I find it so hard to reach perfection???

Yep! Navasota is the best team in 4A!

West Orange-Stark is the best team in 4A-D2!

Yes..., that is all!
    "Kaizen"

".......offense wins games, but DEFENSE wins championships!"

P.R.I.D.E.

Gilmer Buckeyes -State Champions:

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

Letterman

Quote Originally Posted by waterboy View Post
    Yep! Navasota is the best team in 4A!

West Orange-Stark is the best team in 4A-D2!

Yes..., that is all!
    LOL...I bet if you looked really hard, you might find a few that would disagree with you. But I could be wrong...anything is possible.