Blog Entries

Default Monahans @ Lubbock Cooper Friday 9/26

This will be an interesting game to keep your eyes on IMO. How does Cooper respond after one of their biggest wins in school history. Monahans took Big Spring to the wire and by some reports should have won that game.

Who ya got? Cooper is picked by 20+ in most projections.
    STEPHENVILLE YELLOWJACKET FOOTBALL
    STATE CHAMPS 1993, 1994, 1998, 1999, 2012, 2021

STEPHENVILLE HONEYBEE SOCCER
    STATE CHAMPS 2017, 2019

I'll go with Coop. Play half as good as they did against SV, blow out IMO. Ehlers is something else, then hit them with the "Cruz Missile" will keep the Lobos off balance all night.
    YnoT us?

Lobo's Wing-T should slow things down a notch for LCP..could be a low scoring game

"THE HARDER YOU WORK, THE HARDER IT IS TO SURRENDER"-VL

Was really suprised how well Andrews handled Monahans, that could be a bad sign for LC game. Not trying to take anything away from Andrews. If anyone can get them prepared to play Coach Owens will have them ready.

Practice Squad

I was at that game last week and the Loboes defense had a hard time defending Andrews's tall receivers and speed @ RB. RB for Andrews had 197 yds on 11 carries. Monahans as a team only rushed for 177 yds against the Mustang D. Mustangs kept them off balance all night. Cooper is similar to Andrews but probably not as much speed @ skilled positions. Cooper gave up a ton of yards to Canyon Randall and Frenship on the ground. I think Monahans will win.

Practice Squad

Lets go Loboes. Heard that one of our good running backs is out for this game. He is #33 Jacob Lair. Bad ankle from last week I guess.

Monahans Loboes at Lubbock-Cooper Pirates

>> Time, Date, Place: 7:30 tonight, Cub Stadium.
    >> Records: Monahans 2-2; Lubbock-Cooper 2-2.
    >> Last Week: Andrews def. Monahans, 35-25; Lubbock-Cooper def. Stephenville, 50-39.
    >> Radio: FM-98.3 (Monahans).
    >> Internet: 98xfm.com (Monahans).
    >> Last Season: Did not play.
    >> Monahans Key to Victory: Establish the run, shorten the game and keep the Lubbock-Cooper offense off the field.
    >> Lubbock-Cooper Key to Victory: Win in the trenches and jump out to an early lead to force Monahans’ ground-and-pound offense out of its element by playing from behind.
    >> Monahans Player to Watch: Nicko Jasso is one of the most productive running backs in the Permian Basin. Through four games, Jasso has rushed for 518 yards and seven touchdowns, averaging 9.8 yards per carry.
    >> Lubbock-Cooper Player to Watch: Quarterback Kolton Ehlers is a big threat for the Pirates.
    >> The Coach Says: “We’ve got a buzzsaw we’re going into Friday night. But the main thing I told the kids is, ‘We’ve got to play better. Yeah, we’re playing Cooper, but the Loboes have got to play better this week.’ … We’ve got to stop the run, first of all. We’d like to make them put the ball in the air a little bit more. And then we’ve got to keep their offense off the field. We’ve got to shorten the game as much as we possibly can.” — Monahans head coach Mickey Owens.
    >> Notes: Lubbock-Cooper is riding high after a big win over Stephenville, 50-39, last Thursday in a game nationally televised by ESPN2. … Meanwhile, the Loboes struggled in a loss to Andrews. “I think we got caught up in all the festivities of homecoming and we weren’t ready to play,” Monahans head coach Mickey Owens said. “We’re a very average team when we’re not focused. That’s kind of what happened the other night. Going on the flip side of that, we played a team that, if you come out a little bit flat, they’re going to beat your tail. Because they’re good. Andrews is pretty dang good.” … Andrews jumped out to a 21-7 lead by the end of the first quarter against Monahans, and the Loboes never caught up from there. Owens said that despite the Loboes’ ground-and-pound strategy, his team is capable of playing from behind, so long as his team is playing well. “We’ve done that before. We did it against Snyder the week before,” Owens said. “We came out flat (against Andrews) and never woke up. We just didn’t. I don’t see that as being a problem. It’s just being ready to play, period. We just didn’t do a very good job of that — me and the kids.”

http://oavarsity.com/news/13339/Sept...view-capsules/

Letterman

Embarrassing!!!!

Could not make defensive adjustment to stop same play that killed us all night. Unable to match the physical play of either team we have played the past two weeks. Not use to being beat in this fashion. Hope they can find some answers and quick. Guess it's a good thing we have a bye week and then Pecos to start district play.

Practice Squad

Was it that damn bubble screen that got ya? If so, us too!

Practice Squad

Quote Originally Posted by LoboesWT View Post
    Embarrassing!!!!

Could not make defensive adjustment to stop same play that killed us all night. Unable to match the physical play of either team we have played the past two weeks. Not use to being beat in this fashion. Hope they can find some answers and quick. Guess it's a good thing we have a bye week and then Pecos to start district play.
    I agree 100%. Seems to me like we have a good powerful 8 cylinder that is a spark plug short. I just don't see that defense this year that we are known for. District starts after the bye so we will see. Sweetwater looms in district and it will either be a close one or a blow out.