Default Gilmer & Liberty Eylau Thursday...Let's Get the Show Going

Old rivalries never die & the Kitty Cats will be the first...the Buckeyes are on a quest & the first test will be in Tyler on Thursday, the 28th. LE is always a test & should make for a great game to kick Week One off. The Buckeyes will be right at home at our Second Home Field. A very balanced offensive strategy with a smash mouth in your face defense. A bevy of Receivers that can catch the ball from a slinging QB as well as do something with it afterward. A running game that will bring power & finesse, driving a defensive unit to tears. Offense will be explosive & fast as East Texas Speed is unleashed. The Black Flag defense is small & quick, as G says, like a Bunch of Spider Monkeys. The Defensive Backs are some of the best in the Texas with usual Buckeye depth. The D has already shutdown several notable offensives this year with a flare for stripping the ball.
    The Buckeyes are ready to hit the road to kick off a great weekend of Texas Football. See ya @ Rose Stadium, 7:30PM
    buckeyebob

All-American

This thread is perhaps not going to die immediately, but it will quickly go comatose. The last time I saw a Liberty-Eylau poster here on a regular basis was that unfortunate fellow who was run over and killed near the Pleasant Grove stadium a few years ago. I think he went by "LE Dad" on here. I'm sure many remember him well. I always had a good time posting back and forth with him myself.

This will be a new look Leopard Team more disciplined as ever. The new staff is very organized and teach very well and the kids are fired up. After 06 LE coaches had the Country Club Mentality they got their ring and they never gave the same effort in game planning or getting the most out of our players and certain kids who were D1 bound chose whenever they wanted to come to practice. Today is a new day great kids/staff give LE a year or two and they will definitely be a East Texas Power again.

All-American

And I was proven wrong within half an hour.

Gilmer is very familiar with Steve Wells, having played against his teams at Hooks, Mineola and Jacksonville.

He has beaten Gilmer twice, once in Hooks in Traylor's first season in 2000 and again at Buckeye Stadium in 2010 with Jacksonville. So no one here is going to be taking you lightly.

Yes he has also put together a great staff OC is Rick Cullum and between him and Wells the O is looking nice I know its a scrimmage but they rolled Palestine the other day. The kids are still learning tho we run no huddle for the first time ever so the kids are learning signals. Defense is new also.

All that being said Gilmer should runaway I'm this one

This has felt like the longest off-season EVER.

Buckeye P.R.I.D.E.

Quote Originally Posted by LEFAN80 View Post
    Yes he has also put together a great staff OC is Rick Cullum and between him and Wells the O is looking nice I know its a scrimmage but they rolled Palestine the other day. The kids are still learning tho we run no huddle for the first time ever so the kids are learning signals. Defense is new also.
    You really gotta watch Traylor...3-4 times a year, he will have the "O" huddle...other than that, we run you to death...gotta be in shape
    buckeyebob

All-American
    Blog Entries

I'm getting a sense from the Gimerites that they are VERY excited about their prospects this season for perfection of their beloved Buckeyes on the gridiron of glory. It will be fun each week to see just how excellent the Buckeyes can really be. There's no Argyle this season to contend with, although there will be a few of those types of teams that COULD be cause for concern.
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

All-American

regal, if you lived in Gilmer, you'd know why poisoned10 made that comment about the off-season seeming so long. It's very easy to excite us.

I just want our guys to make it thru the Preseason Injury free after Gilmer we have

Mt. Pleasant - who should be down.
    Arkansas High - 6a cross town rivals believe it or not they are the most Athletic team on the schedule just don't have a coach
    Tatum - Loaded
    Atlanta - Another Rival heard they gave Kilgore all they wanted in there scrimmage.

Quote Originally Posted by regaleagle View Post
    I'm getting a sense from the Gimerites that they are VERY excited about their prospects this season for perfection of their beloved Buckeyes on the gridiron of glory. It will be fun each week to see just how excellent the Buckeyes can really be. There's no Argyle this season to contend with, although there will be a few of those types of teams that COULD be cause for concern.
    After we had our 2004 State Championship, we erected billboards hailing our football abilities to all...in 2009, we were fortunate to accomplish the same feat. This time, we got the local civic clubs to help out with the new signage...during the decision process on what to erect, we met with Jeff to decide on what was needed & how often we need to allow between SC's...he replied quickly "every 5 years".

Even with a 1-3 record with Argyle, we enjoyed the series where we established a rivalry, something I hope we can continue with. The general feeling is this is a special group of guys....the seniors started out with the Jeff Traylor way in kindergarten, then Mini Bucs, and on thru the system...this year, we are loaded with talent, depth, & experience & they are selfless.

Jeff Traylor summed it up: "This group might enjoy playing the game as much as any group I have ever coached. They love to play ball". And it shows.
    buckeyebob

I hope not to jinx anything, but history states this is Gilmer's year to win.

2004 - Won State Championship
    2007 (3-Years Later) - Lost State Championship
    2009 (2-Years Later) - Won State Championship
    2012 (3-Years Later) - Lost State Championship
    2014 (2-Years Later) - ???

Only time will tell.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Buckeye P.R.I.D.E.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by poisoned10 View Post
    I hope not to jinx anything, but history states this is Gilmer's year to win.

2004 - Won State Championship
    2007 (3-Years Later) - Lost State Championship
    2009 (2-Years Later) - Won State Championship
    2012 (3-Years Later) - Lost State Championship
    2014 (2-Years Later) - ???

Only time will tell.

Sent from my Nexus 5
    "Don't let the game define who you are"

"The streak was never our goal"
    STEPHENVILLE YELLOWJACKET FOOTBALL
    STATE CHAMPS 1993, 1994, 1998, 1999, 2012, 2021

STEPHENVILLE HONEYBEE SOCCER
    STATE CHAMPS 2017, 2019

From what I've seen there is a lot to be excited about with the Buckeyes. They are a good team every year. Are they good enough to win it all? Only time will tell. There is still a whole lot of work to do before any opportunity arises for that fete. Consistency, togetherness, hard work, staying healthy, and a will-not-lose mentality are a must to achieve that goal. The pieces are there, however.

As for Liberty-Eylau, they always play us tough, so I don't expect anything other than a hard-fought victory. We need to find consistency, avoid penalties and turnovers, and stay healthy.
    "Kaizen"

".......offense wins games, but DEFENSE wins championships!"

P.R.I.D.E.

Gilmer Buckeyes -State Champions:

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II