Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sweetwater 2014

Default Sweetwater 2014

SW may be ready for run to playoffs
    August 8, 2014
    By
    Ron Howell
    editor@sweetwaterreporter.com

Sweetwater football players and coaches spent their offseason trying to prepare themselves for a brand-new Class 4A district and a lot more travel this year.
    But the Mustangs hope that the biggest change will come in early November when, instead of turning in equpment, they’re looking ahead to the postseason.

Sweetwater’s last playoff experience came in 2008 and it hasn’t had a winning season since. And five straight non-playoff years are the most since it previously held 4A status, dating to the early 1980s under legendary Mustang coach W.T. Stapler. That era, of course, eventually produced a state champion in 1985 — the first and only football state title in Sweetwater’s long and rich history.
    But the long playoff wait may soon be over, as the Mustangs return a handful of key players itching to get a final chance after near-misses the past two years.

Sweetwater went 4-6 in each of current head coach Shane Mobley’s first two seasons, but barely missed the playoffs in both years.
    With a new district — Sweetwater is now in 2-4A, Division II — as well as four playoff spots available, the odds finally appear to be in the Mustangs’ favor.

Sweetwater will still have familiar rivals Monahans and Greenwood in 2-4A in addition to Lamesa (0-10 in 2013), Fort Stockton (2-9) and Pecos (7-4).
    If the Mustangs can survive the travel — its five road games (including the three in district to Fort Stockton, Pecos and Greenwood) will span a total of over 830 miles — and stay healthy, they have the talent to not only make the postseason, but get past the first round.

Sweetwater will still field a young team, as the Mus-tangs have only a handful of seniors with varsity playing experience. But of those seniors, four — wide receiver Bray Amos, all-purpose player Isaiah McGee, quarterback Kaegan Jeffrey and offensive lineman Ty Crain — have earned at least all-district honors and McGee and Amos both received all-state recognition in 2013.
    Jeffrey threw for 2,752 yards and 34 TDs last year. Amos (67 catches, 1,067 yards, 19 TDs) and McGee (34, 582, 4) were two of his favorite targets. The top returning underclassmen include junior lineman Cory Mendez, who was the co-district newcomer of the year as a sophomore, and Jacoby Hunt, a sophomore linebacker who earned all-district honors after making 60 tackles as a freshman.

Sweetwater’s non-district schedule will include 2013 playoff teams Andrews, Breckenridge, Muleshoe and Snyder (now a 4A, Division I school) plus 5A Lubbock High, which plays Sweetwater in a season-opening Sammy Baugh Classic matchup Aug. 29. The pre-district games will help the Mustangs get ready for their new district, ac-cording to Mobley.
    “First and foremost, the guys want to make the playoffs,” he said. “It came down to one game the last two years. It was Monahans (a 39-35 loss) two years ago and Wylie (a 42-28 loss) last year. These kids deserve it. They’ve worked so hard this spring and offseason and competed so hard when we went to (the state) 7-on-7 (tournament in July). The biggest thing about 7-0n-7 was the unity it gave us.
    “(But) if we’re lucky or blessed enough to make the playoffs,” Mobley added, “that’s not going to be satisfying. We’ll still work to do better. If we make the play-offs, we need to get beat by a better team; we don’t want to beat ourselves.
    “We need to have different kids step up each week. We have to get better and never stop that growing.”
    Mobley said McGee (safety) would be the only senior starter on defense. But he sees good leadership on this year’s team, especially from the returning seniors. “Last year we had a good group of kids that helped set the foundation for this year’s seniors. Now they’ve got the experience to know what it takes. This is probably the most vocal group of seniors that we’ve had.”

Offense
    Jeffrey has thrown for over 4,800 yards in his career. He will be backed by Max Gomez, who will also be used at receiver.
    There is quite a bit of speed at both receiver and in the backfield, and not just from McGee and Amos. Other receiving candidates include Michael Green, Michael Lawrence, Deshaun Williams, Mark Lawrence, J’Corey Amos (Bray’s younger brother) and Hunter Mobley (son of the head coach) while Hunt, McGee, Adrian Vizzerra and Kiante McCoy are among those vying for playing time at running back. The O-line is led by Crain (265) and Mendez (220) — who was a defensive lineman last year — and also includes Jorden Putnam, Zach Garcia, C.J. Adames, Carlos Gallegos and others.

Defense
    End Daniel Maldonado is the only returning starter on the defensive line. Israel Vera, Manuel Navarrette, Putnam, Mendez and Den-zell Moore are among the other candidates to get playing time at either tackle or end. At linebacker, Hunt heads up a group that also will include McCoy, Vizzerra, Mobley, Moore, Colby Greenwood and Bray Amos. The defensive backfield, in addition to McGee, includes Michael Lawrence, Gomez and Green at safety and J’Corey Amos, Green, Mark Lawrence, Chris Figueroa, T.C. Huitt and Wiliams at cornerback.

Coach Mobley said Sweet-water would be “very multiple” both with its spread offense that he installed two years ago, as well as with its many defensive alignments.
    The key to success will lie largely with the ability to utilize all that speed and overcome a lack of size. “We’re probably two or three steps quicker than we were last year,” Mobley said.

http://sweetwaterreporter.com/conten...y-run-playoffs
    SWEETWATER

IS GOOD !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Stang View Post
    The key to success will lie largely with the ability to utilize all that speed and overcome a lack of size. “We’re probably two or three steps quicker than we were last year,” Mobley said.
    Coach Mobley is being modest. This will be the fastest team Sweetwater has had in quite some time.

Here is video clip a Sweetwater alum put together from last Friday - the first day of practice in pads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...24&app=desktop

Here are pigskin prep's preseason projections for Sweewater's regular season.

Week 1 - Sweetwater over Lubbock High by 12
    Week 2 - Sweetwater over Muleshoe by 14
    Week 3 - Sweetwater over Breckenridge 20
    Week 4 - Sweetwater over Snyder by 21
    Week 5 - Sweetwater over Andrews by 7
    Week 6 - Open
    Week 7 - Sweetwater over Fort Stockton by 23
    Week 8 - Sweetwater over Midland Greenwood by 18
    Week 9 - Monahans over Sweetwater by 4
    Week 10 - Sweetwater over Pecos by 22
    Week 11 - Sweetwater over Lamesa by 49

Quote Originally Posted by sweetwater red View Post
    here are pigskin prep's preseason projections for sweewater's regular season.

Week 1 - sweetwater over lubbock high by 14
    week 2 - sweetwater over muleshoe by 22
    week 3 - sweetwater over breckenridge 23
    week 4 - sweetwater over snyder by 21
    week 5 - sweetwater over andrews by 3
    week 6 - open
    week 7 - sweetwater over fort stockton by 19
    week 8 - sweetwater over midland greenwood by 14
    week 9 - sweetwater vs. Monahans (pk)
    week 10 - sweetwater over pecos by 18
    week 11 - sweetwater over lamesa by 51
    edited

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetwater Red View Post
    edited
    What are your predictions?
    STEPHENVILLE YELLOWJACKET FOOTBALL
    STATE CHAMPS 1993, 1994, 1998, 1999, 2012, 2021

STEPHENVILLE HONEYBEE SOCCER
    STATE CHAMPS 2017, 2019

Junior Varsity

Sweetwater will be back in form.
    Godley Wildcat Football

Quote Originally Posted by hollywood View Post
    What are your predictions?
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Sweetwater WILL make the playoffs for the first
    time since 2008.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Sweetwater WILL make the playoffs for the first
    time since 2008.
    That's really bold!
    SWEETWATER

IS GOOD !!!!!!!

That's really bold!
    I thought so too! Lol

I still haven't haven't decided whether I'm going to my the 80 mile drive down to SA
    for a little over an hour's worth of varsity practice. If I do, I'll post a pic or two when
    I get back.

Mustangs, area football teams to get their 1st tests
    August 15, 2014
    sweetwatersports1@yahoo.com

After nearly two weeks of hitting each other in prac-tices, the four area high school football teams finally get a taste of outside competition starting today.
    In 11-man ball, Sweet-water goes to San Angelo’s Bobcat Stadium this evening for its opening scrimmage against San Angelo Lake View, while Roscoe is at home to take on Haskell. Sweetwater’s scrimmage is set to begin with the JV and freshman teams at 5 p.m., with the varsity taking the field at approximately 6:15, according to Mustang coach Shane Mobley, while Roscoe will begin its skirmish at 6 p.m.
    Blackwell paid a visit to Westbrook at 8:30 this morning for its first scrim-mage, and Highland — originally scheduled to take on Blackwell — will instead host Rotan on Saturday with a start time of 10 a.m.
    While Blackwell has been a playoff team the past two years, Sweetwater, Roscoe and Highland all enter 2014 with a similar goal — trying to end postseason droughts. All three came extremely close in 2013, missing a chance to go the playoffs after losing their final regular season games.
    Sweetwater has not made the playoffs since 2008; Highland last went to the playoffs in 2009; and Roscoe — which like Highland and Sweetwater regularly made the playoffs from the 1990s through 2008 — hasn’t gone back since 2010, following a streak of 13 straight post-season appearances.
    Mobley said Sweetwater will run four separate series tonight with its No. 1 and No. 2 units while trying to answer questions in some key areas. Offensively, the head coach said he will be focused on line play and having an effective running game to help open the pas-sing lanes for the Mustangs’ fleet of receivers. Mobley noted that a UIL has approved a rule that basically requires high school teams to have a 40-second clock between plays, so “it’s going to be a faster pace” this year,” he said.
    Mobley said Sweetwater will stick tonight on defense with a basic 4-3 set. “We’ll evaluate to see that we are lining up right. The second thing is tackling, and then we’ve got to be better at making reads and reading our keys. Those are the top three things,” he said.
    Sweetwater plays its sec-ond and final scrimmage at home next Thursday when its hosts Clyde at the Bowl.

http://sweetwaterreporter.com/conten...heir-1st-tests
    SWEETWATER

IS GOOD !!!!!!!

I thought so too! Lol

I still haven't haven't decided whether I'm going to my the 80 mile drive down to SA
    for a little over an hour's worth of varsity practice. If I do, I'll post a pic or two when
    I get back.
    English clearly isn't my first language.

I hate that we only have 15 minutes to edit our posts.

English clearly isn't my first language.

I hate that we only have 15 minutes to edit our posts.
    Was there something wrong with the English in your post?

BTW I just moed to the bank and back.
    SWEETWATER

IS GOOD !!!!!!!

Was there something wrong with the English in your post?

BTW I just moed to the bank and back.
    Nice lol

I didn't make down to San Angelo but I did hear that Sweetwater's
    varsity outscored Lakeview 5-1 tonight.

SW offense hits paydirt often vs. LV

August 16, 2014

By
    Ron Howell

SAN ANGELO — It looks like opposing defenses may be in for another long year against Sweetwater when the season begins Aug. 29.
    Sweetwater, which averaged 34 points a game this past year, scored six times on Friday in its season-opening scrimmage when the Mustangs traveled to San Angelo to face the Class 5A Lake View Chiefs.
    Most of the damage was through the air. Sweetwater accounted for four of its six touchdowns and 370 of its 478 total yards by taking advantage of the Chiefs’ secondary, with four different players — Bray Amos, Michael Lawrence, Hunter Mobley and Michael Green — catching TDs. Jacoby Hunt struck paydirt on a 2-yard run, and the other score was on a 64-yard run by No. 2 QB Max Gomez, who finished with 76 yards on four runs Friday for the Mustangs. No. 1 QB Kaegan Jeffrey and Gomez were a combined 22-of-35 and at least eight different players caught passes.
    “I thought our first group did a great job moving the ball down the field and I was proud of the offensive line,” said head coach Shane Mobley afterward. “I thought that was big for us. Defensively we played well. We bent but we didn’t break, and our number twos showed potential. We had some missed tackles but also good open field stops.”

http://www.sweetwaterreporter.com/co...rt-often-vs-lv

The thread title says 2014 but here's a flash from the past. Former Mustang Joseph Banyard who was a three year
    starter from 2004-2007.

Banyard stars in Vikes’ 30-28 win

August 18, 2014

MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. — Former Sweetwater High School athlete Joe Banyard, who now plays for the NFL’s Minnesota Vikings, was his team’s leading rusher in a 30-28 come-from-behind preseason win over the Arizona Cardinals on Sat-urday.
    Banyard — a 5-10, 205 lb running back who played collegiately at Texas-El Paso — rushed for 64 yards on six carries for the Vikings (2-0) and two receptions for 9 yards. His effort was highlighted by a 56-yard run — a career high in the professional ranks — in the third quarter when he accounted for 70 of his team’s 89 yards on a nine-yard scoring drive that resulted in a field goal that cut Arizona’s lead to 21-16. He later had a pair of runs in a fourth-quarter scoring drive by the Vikings that gave them a temporary 24-21 lead. So far this preseason, Banyard has run 14 times for 86 yards while catching four passes for 22 yards.
    Banyard is competing for a roster spot this year with Minnesota after spending most of the past two years on the Vikings’ practice squad, though he saw limited action in three games in 2013. He began his NFL career as an undrafted free agent with Jacksonville in 2012, and was also with the New Orleans Saints before signing with the Vikings.