Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: USA Hockey

All-District

Default USA Hockey

You don't love your country unless your watching the Cold War Rd 2 this morning!!! Unless you're working I guess.....I always take off for the World Cup or Olympic games so who knows.

Usa usa usa

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by Bleed orange View Post
    Usa usa usa
    CANNOT believe there was a no goal there.

This is incredible, most excitement I've felt in a sporting event in awhile!!!

#SickSnipes #DirtyDangles

All-District

What a game......I won't ruin what happened, but I advise everyone watch the game later. It was one of the best sporting events I've ever seen.

It had shades of 1980 I thought. Very exciting.
    Once a Bulldog, Always a Bulldog

Sweeny All Time Record 514-305-28

GATA - A Sweeny Tradition Since 1980

1944, 45, 46, 47, 48, 60, 61, 66, 67, 82, 83, 84, 86, 88, 89, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 2000, 01, 05, 06, 08, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21

All-American

When do USA women's play again?

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop27 View Post
    When do USA women's play again?
    http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/soc.../women-IHW400/

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by SHSBulldog00 View Post
    It had shades of 1980 I thought. Very exciting.
    There's no way I'll ever watch a hockey game. However, for historical perspective, in 1980 the U.S. played a different country called the USSR, which had 14 other nation-states besides Russia from which to choose players.

So, yeah, 1980 was an upset. Now, though, Russia has a population of only 143 million compared to our 317 million. So I'd have to say Russia shouldn't have even been able to stay on the ice with a country that much larger (granted, at least half the country is like me and finds hockey unwatchable).
    Last edited by Aesculus gilmus; 02-16-2014 at 08:57 AM.

All-American

Just be glad the UIL does not have anything to do with the Olympics. There would be four qualifiers from every country. Athletes could not move to another state to train, which would cause many states to not have trained athletes participating in the winter games. On the other hand, a Hockey match between two Texas teams might be pretty funny. Maybe they should add mudding to the games and Texas could probably dominate that sport. Wild hog hunting, coon hunting, gator hunting, rattlesnake hunting, and noodling. Hell, I believe Texas should have their own Redneck Olympics. I bet we could get A & E to broadcast all of the events.
    In a perfect world, I would always be a winner---Why is it that I find it so hard to reach perfection???

Might want to tap the brakes a little in regards to what just happened.
    In 1980 it was a bunch of college kids against the best professional hockey players(NHL players included) in the world. No one, and I mean one, gave the Americans a snow ball's chance in hell of them winning. Like Mary HArdin Baylor beating Seattle in Football.

This time, it's American professionals against Russian professionals. More along the lines of an American vs Russian NHL All-Star game.

I agree with nationalistic pride and excitment of an awesome game. Historic? No.
    Last edited by Rabid Cougar; 02-16-2014 at 01:01 PM.

C'mon football season!
    "Hay in the barn is like money in the bank"

All-American

The cold war is over, boys. Russia is now a $#& hole of a country with an extremely corrupt government, struggling economy, and a population about 1/3 the size of the US. I don't see the big deal.
    When I hear someone say "Im not book smart, Im street smart"; what I really hear is "Im not real smart, Im pretend smart".

Love the sport of hockey. It was fun being a fan at Reunion Arena when the Dallas Stars won the Stanley Cup. Nothing like it, especially if you're seated close to the glass. Lot of support now in that area with youth leagues and such.

I agree with RC. USA was basically a minor league squad. The Soviets for all intensive purposes were a professional hockey club with state of the art training facilities. The game also had huge political overtones.

In many cases the size of the country matters little. It's all about the culture and how you approach the game. I think most male Russian, Czech Republic, and Canadians are given skates and hockey sticks at birth. You could probably throw in the Fins and Swedes too.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by tejastrue View Post
    the soviets for all intents and purposes were a professional hockey team...

fify
    When I hear someone say "Im not book smart, Im street smart"; what I really hear is "Im not real smart, Im pretend smart".