Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Art Briles

All-American
    Blog Entries

Briles will stay at Baylor, imo. I don't think he will take the UT job. Baylor now has state of the art facilities and he has a good contract. He doesn't have to mess with the Austin stuff, and Waco is an easier way of life.
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

I think baylor played him out of contention. He's been really good but they really slumped at the end of the season and get tons of penalties. Rightly or wrongly , there's a perception that he has an undisciplined group.
    Judge a man by his questions rather than by his answers.

-Voltaire

All-American
    Blog Entries

Baylor has yet to establish a very high-quality defense....that's their Achilles Heel. Briles has always majored in offense, so that should be no revelation...just like at UH. Give Baylor some credit for being highly competitive offensively, but there's still much recruiting work to be done to round out this program under Briles. UT was not too slick on defense this season either, just like A&M and some other schools. It could be that most of the teams in the Big 12 need to shore up their defenses due to the high-powered offenses in this league. I wouldn't put too much salt on the lack of discipline at Baylor yet. Baylor's defensive unit played many more minutes than your average 10-win plus team due to the quick-strike, high-powered high-scoring offense they had. Those boys were on the field all the time. Injuries pile up, and they get tired late in the game. That's one of the negatives of that kind of offense....it's puts alot of playing time on your starting defense if you're not way ahead.
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

According to the Dallas Morning News via the Austin Statesmen Briles has stated if Texas offers the job he will take it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tejastrue View Post
    I hear you OT and understand what you are saying but damn...loyalty use to mean something.
    Ask Mack Brown about loyalty. You take care of yourself and your family. If Briles takes the UT job, he does so because it is what he thinks is the best move for him. It doesn't matter about facilities. IMO, he has taken Baylor about as far as he can. He led them to their 1st Big 12 title and a berth in their 1st BCS game and Baylor doesn't even sell out their ticket allotment? That says a lot about his situation at Baylor.

All-American

Briles at Texas could get better defensive recruites in 1 year than he has the past 5 years at Baylor.
    **<Current Month> Hot Girl of the Month**

Quote Originally Posted by regaleagle View Post
    Baylor has yet to establish a very high-quality defense....that's their Achilles Heel. Briles has always majored in offense, so that should be no revelation...just like at UH. Give Baylor some credit for being highly competitive offensively, but there's still much recruiting work to be done to round out this program under Briles. UT was not too slick on defense this season either, just like A&M and some other schools. It could be that most of the teams in the Big 12 need to shore up their defenses due to the high-powered offenses in this league. I wouldn't put too much salt on the lack of discipline at Baylor yet. Baylor's defensive unit played many more minutes than your average 10-win plus team due to the quick-strike, high-powered high-scoring offense they had. Those boys were on the field all the time. Injuries pile up, and they get tired late in the game. That's one of the negatives of that kind of offense....it's puts alot of playing time on your starting defense if you're not way ahead.
    Sure, but I think it needs to be said that defense is a problem all over college football. How many teams can field really good defenses? College is all about offense and I think in a few years it's going to filter to the nfl. Playing defense is really hard now days.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NTFan View Post
    Ask Mack Brown about loyalty. You take care of yourself and your family. If Briles takes the UT job, he does so because it is what he thinks is the best move for him. It doesn't matter about facilities. IMO, he has taken Baylor about as far as he can. He led them to their 1st Big 12 title and a berth in their 1st BCS game and Baylor doesn't even sell out their ticket allotment? That says a lot about his situation at Baylor.
    WOW....didn't even sell out their ticket allotment going to Phoenix for the Tostitos Bowl. YEP, that's a big slap in the face, for sure. KState probably would have done that!!!

All-American

Loyalty? Mack was all about the money without ever producing.
    **<Current Month> Hot Girl of the Month**

Quote Originally Posted by Old Tiger View Post
    Loyalty? Mack was all about the money without ever producing.
    Do you remember where Texas was before Mack took over? He didn't produce, EVER? 2 NC game appearances and 1 NC title? Your definition of producing and mine are different, I suppose. I'm not saying it wasn't time for a change. Im saying the comment about loyalty is a two way street. Universities and schools aren't worried about it when they need to go in "another direction". Coaches shouldn't be worried about it either.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Do you remember where Texas was before Mack took over? He didn't produce, EVER? 2 NC game appearances and 1 NC title? Your definition of producing and mine are different, I suppose. I'm not saying it wasn't time for a change. Im saying the comment about loyalty is a two way street. Universities and schools aren't worried about it when they need to go in "another direction". Coaches shouldn't be worried about it either.
    True-blue statement. Why should coaches be overly concerned about the well-being of the program they are leaving when the universities display the same perspective. That's just the way it is in big business.....the bottom line of recent years rules. What have you done for me lately???

Lol. We all know if Dodds was still there so would Mack. I respect him. He was and will always be loyal to UT. He did not want to leave the program.

It's not unusual to fall short on ticket allotment sales. Even for the more notable schools such as Ohio State and LSU. It was UCF for Pete's sake and they returned more than Baylor did 2-1.

IMO Briles has unfinished business in Waco. I think those kids that he helped recruit would tend to agree. Take care of your own? 3.5mil a season? How is that not taking care of your family? The man signed a contract extension. That is where my loyalty thoughts originate.

All-American

Every coach has a buyout clause in the contact now, just in case a better offer comes along. I just can't imagine that there is not any kind of penalty in the contract that would cause issues with him moving to another school in the same conference.
    In a perfect world, I would always be a winner---Why is it that I find it so hard to reach perfection???

Quote Originally Posted by OldBison75 View Post
    Every coach has a buyout clause in the contact now, just in case a better offer comes along. I just can't imagine that there is not any kind of penalty in the contract that would cause issues with him moving to another school in the same conference.
    They'd just pay that penalty if there was.
    YnoT us?

I know he is a baseball guy but before you know it...Scott Boras and others like him will be representing head coaches at all levels. lol