Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Quote Originally Posted by Old Tiger View Post
    What are you complaining to me about? Talk to bigwood33

Yes, I was referring to his history as a HC. Who knows how it might transfer but I was just looking at the Louisville season stats a couple of hours ago and it appears that they managed to play some defense there the last couple of years. I'm not saying Sumlin is a poor coach but he has been pretty darned fortunate. He inherited a mature team, built by Art Briles and then he inherits the most exciting college football player since Barry Sanders. We'll see soon enough if he can build anything. We know he is a good maintenance man.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwood33 View Post

Yes, I was referring to his history as a HC. Who knows how it might transfer but I was just looking at the Louisville season stats a couple of hours ago and it appears that they managed to play some defense there the last couple of years. I'm not saying Sumlin is a poor coach but he has been pretty darned fortunate. He inherited a mature team, built by Art Briles and then he inherits the most exciting college football player since Barry Sanders. We'll see soon enough if he can build anything. We know he is a good maintenance man.

Manziel had never seen the field and wasn't expected to be the starter when sumlin was hired. Everything Manziel did for A&M was under Sumlin, so I wouldn't say he inherited the most exciting player. He helped develop Manziel into it though...

Quote Originally Posted by Saggy Aggie View Post
    Manziel had never seen the field and wasn't expected to be the starter when sumlin was hired. Everything Manziel did for A&M was under Sumlin, so I wouldn't say he inherited the most exciting player. He helped develop Manziel into it though...
    Riiiight. He wanted to start Showers, and in fact named him the starter but Manziel forced his hand once the fall camp started. He had no interest in Manziel, didn't offer him at Houston and didn't really want him at A&M. What Manziel did last year was the same thing he did at Tivy. I'm not saying that he didn't improve but Sumlin had very little to do with what Manziel did on the field. His mechanics are terrible and his judgement is suspect...for anyone else but he makes it all work. That isn't coaching, that is virtuosity. I think you have to go all the way back to 1963 and Roger Staubach to see another QB who plays/played the position like Manziel.
    I know you're an Aggie and I'm sorry that my opinion doesn't sync with yours....time will tell who is right. I've been wrong before and will be again. I'm sure you will find this hard to believe but I hope I'm wrong. I would love to see A&M win the SEC.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwood33 View Post
    Riiiight. He wanted to start Showers, and in fact named him the starter but Manziel forced his hand once the fall camp started. He had no interest in Manziel, didn't offer him at Houston and didn't really want him at A&M. What Manziel did last year was the same thing he did at Tivy. I'm not saying that he didn't improve but Sumlin had very little to do with what Manziel did on the field. His mechanics are terrible and his judgement is suspect...for anyone else but he makes it all work. That isn't coaching, that is virtuosity. I think you have to go all the way back to 1963 and Roger Staubach to see another QB who plays/played the position like Manziel.
    I know you're an Aggie and I'm sorry that my opinion doesn't sync with yours....time will tell who is right. I've been wrong before and will be again. I'm sure you will find this hard to believe but I hope I'm wrong. I would love to see A&M win the SEC.
    Sumlin "inheritied" the QB in waiting and backup at the time Showers.... He instead said that there would be an open competition and selected manziel. I don't think at any point he named Showers the starter. I think showers was the "presumed" starter by everyone (Aggie alumni, students, fans, etc) outside the coaching staff besides the very few ppl who follow HS ball and knew what manziel was capable of.

Manziel is ana amazing talent, but to say he inherited the most excitting player in football sounds as if you or anybody else knew what he'd be capable of... and no one did. But Sumlin figured it out and made the proper, though not popular at the time, decision...

As I said, time will tell.