Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    All-American

I heard Kliff stole his girlfriend.
    **<Current Month> Hot Girl of the Month**

All-American

So what is the NCAA's position on this? He never recieved a scholarship (so technically 'no remuneration' for his efforts) and was a walk-on player... IMO (not a lawyer) he should be free to walk-on anywhere he wants. Pretty crappy of Tech to restrict his movement if they never gave him anything... and I'm a Tech fan. If he had recieved something of value (like a scholarship... ) it would be different.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
    So what is the NCAA's position on this? He never recieved a scholarship (so technically 'no remuneration' for his efforts) and was a walk-on player... IMO (not a lawyer) he should be free to walk-on anywhere he wants. Pretty crappy of Tech to restrict his movement if they never gave him anything... and I'm a Tech fan. If he had recieved something of value (like a scholarship... ) it would be different.
    IMO free to go wherever he wants and should not have to sit out a year.
    **<Current Month> Hot Girl of the Month**

Quote Originally Posted by Old Tiger View Post
    IMO free to go wherever he wants and should not have to sit out a year.
    It doesn't matter what your opinion is, it may not seem fair, but he was on the roster at Texas Tech, and D1A to D1A football transfers have to sit out a year.
    He could transfer anywhere and sit out a year and Tech couldn't dictate where he can or can't go.
    In order to receive an athletic scholarship, Texas has to grant permission for another school to contact him.
    They are not going to allow him to be contacted by other schools in their conference, which is pretty customary......he knows way to much about their system.
    The rule applies even though he wasn't on scholarship at Tech.

He could transfer to a D1AA or below program and play immediately as long as he met eligibility requirements.

What is BS is that college coaches can break contracts and change schools with out having to sit out.......and that often leaves the recruits that came to play for a particular coach/coaches in a particular system, high and dry.

The term walk-on is kind of misleading, at most D1 schools most kids don't really just walk-on or show up and tryout for the football.
    Most walk-ons were scouted or recruited, but were not offered a scholarship.
    Later they may be offered a spot on the team without a scholarship.
    The opportunity to earn a scholarship is always there, but it doesn't happen all that often.
    A starting QB should be given a scholarship.
    Maybe his knee injury got in the way.
    "Hay in the barn is like money in the bank"

Quote Originally Posted by LH Panther Mom View Post
    According to the news items I read, he was promised a scholarship when one became available after the season. I think it's laughable. He went to Tech when his first choice, TCU, didn't offer. He had other offers but said that he'd rather play for Kingsbury as a walk on. So now all the sudden that's not good enough? Good grief! QB's are pretty fickle, if you ask me, since you hear about them transferring more often than any other position.
    Maybe he knew there were scholarships were going to be available and Tech hadn't offered one to him and he saw early grad high school kids coming in on scholarship this spring.
    They would have already signed up for spring semester classes.
    "Hay in the barn is like money in the bank"

According to reports, Mayfield will walk on at Oklahoma...

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...n-at-oklahoma/