Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Practice Squad

Default FYI: Use of Noisemakers at Games

Saw a few comments in another thread about stadiums prohibiting the use of cowbells, clappers, horns, etc. pursuant to "UIL rules" and how some posters disagreed with that statement. My reading of Section 1208 (n) of the UIL rules seemed to confirm the posters' sentiment that noisemakers were not prohibited in OUTDOOR stadiums, but I wanted to get the UIL's perspective on it just for my own edification. I emailed William Stidham, Compliance Director at the UIL, asking if my interpretation of 1208(n) was correct. This is the response I got from him, including his highlighing.

You are correct the UIL rule states:

Section 1208
    (n) MASCOTS, FIREARMS, PYROTECHNIC DEVICES, BALLOONS
    Live animal mascots, cannons, firearms, fireworks,etc. are prohibited at League athletic contests. Except in their normal course of business, emergency vehicles shall not flash lights or sound sirens during the course of a game. Noisemakers are prohibited at League athletic events held in field-houses and/or gymnasiums. Releasing balloons is prohibited at League athletic events held outdoors.

Unless they have a school district or stadium policy about noisemakers or they have a mutual agreement between the two schools that are playing, it would not be a "UIL" rule.
    --
    Ed Stidham
    512-471-5883
    254-760-7850 Cell
    512-819-9940 Home fax
    estidham@uiltexas.org
    Compliance Director

Just wanted to pass this along.

Quote Originally Posted by hsfootballfan View Post
    Saw a few comments in another thread about stadiums prohibiting the use of cowbells, clappers, horns, etc. pursuant to "UIL rules" and how some posters disagreed with that statement. My reading of Section 1208 (n) of the UIL rules seemed to confirm the posters' sentiment that noisemakers were not prohibited in OUTDOOR stadiums, but I wanted to get the UIL's perspective on it just for my own edification. I emailed William Stidham, Compliance Director at the UIL, asking if my interpretation of 1208(n) was correct. This is the response I got from him, including his highlighing.

[I]
    Section 1208
    Live animal mascots, cannons, firearms, fireworks,etc. are prohibited at League athletic contests. Except in their normal course of business, emergency vehicles shall not flash lights or sound sirens during the course of a game. Noisemakers are prohibited at League athletic events held in field-houses and/or gymnasiums. Releasing balloons is prohibited at League athletic events held outdoors.

I found the part I highlighted in green interesting. Monahans parks ambulances at their home games and turn on the lights and sirens when they score.
    Unfortunately for them that doesn't happen too often when they play us.

Quote Originally Posted by hsfootballfan View Post

You are correct the UIL rule states:

Section 1208

Unless they have a school district or stadium policy about noisemakers or they have a mutual agreement between the two schools that are playing, it would not be a "UIL" rule.
    --
    Ed Stidham
    512-471-5883
    254-760-7850 Cell
    512-819-9940 Home fax
    estidham@uiltexas.org
    Compliance Director

Just wanted to pass this along.

Awesome!!! I'm gonna print this out & bring it with me LMAO!

All-American

Just let them play the game-There are too many rules as their is

Administrator/Owner LH Panther Mom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pirate4state View Post
    Awesome!!! I'm gonna print this out & bring it with me LMAO!
    Good luck!

Unfortunately, entirely too many venues interpret the actual rules in the wrong manner & not just at the HS level.

Noisemakers, cowbells, and air horns are all real annoying.
    I try to sit far away from those "crazy" fans.

The two worst schools for noisemakers that I have experienced are Coldspring and Port Isabel.

Coldspring has a train whistle/horn that they point toward the other teams stands, and they blare that thing at ear piercing levels every time something remotely good happens for the Coldspring team.

Port Isabel fans have those annoying vuvzela horns that have ruined watching the World Cup.
    The whole game hundreds blow those d*** horns and it sounds like angry bees.
    "Hay in the barn is like money in the bank"

Quote Originally Posted by Manso/V8 View Post

The two worst schools for noisemakers that I have experienced are Coldspring and Port Isabel.

Coldspring has a train whistle/horn that they point toward the other teams stands, and they blare that thing at ear piercing levels every time something remotely good happens for the Coldspring team.

Port Isabel fans have those annoying vuvzela horns that have ruined watching the World Cup.
    For some reason, I find myself searching to read V8's post's once again. Maybe she has something to do with it?
    YnoT us?

All-District

I've been bringing a vuvu-zela to games since the World Cup of a few years ago. Only Alvin and Houston ISD's have outlawed it.

I agree I am glad that was the first and LAST time I heard those things 😁

Practice Squad

Believe it or not Manso that PI-Bellville game was the first time those horns were used.
    Hardly see them this year. Let sleeping dogs lie!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetwater Red View Post
    I found the part I highlighted in green interesting. Monahans parks ambulances at their home games and turn on the lights and sirens when they score.
    Unfortunately for them that doesn't happen too often when they play us.
    Ouch! You sure know how to rub it in! You seem to have forgotten that if last year's game had been in Monahans, the 4th quarter would have drained the ambulance of all power. In any event, I will alert the appropriate local authorities of the apparent rule violation. Here is hoping the Loboes and 'Stangs get to continue their rivalry next year. Your post will make great bulletin board material!

All-District

Hahaha the vuvuzelas are such a good idea. Probably not a better way to get under the opposing teams skin than making that noise endlessly.

Letterman

The unanswered question is whether indoor facilities such as AT & T, Reliant and Alamodome are included under the "field house" definition

All-American

We have one of the loudest actual train horns in the state, but we have been in towns that have a city ordinance prohibiting the use of air horns. If I am not mistaken Stephenville is one of them. The cops have even threatened to fine our horn blower if they blew the horn.

Quote Originally Posted by cougartino View Post
    I've been bringing a vuvu-zela to games since the World Cup of a few years ago. Only Alvin and Houston ISD's have outlawed it.
    Why?

It is just plain annoying.
    "Hay in the barn is like money in the bank"