Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paterno

Junior Varsity

Default Paterno

So, should all things Paterno be erased from the PSU campus? Your thoughts

I think they should, but I suspect they won't.

I think the whole group is a disgrace and when I see his family on the TV defending him, it makes me want to throw something through the TV. People need to go to prison over this, and not just Sandusky.

With regards to Paterno specifically, I hear many folks talk about how shocking it is because he always ran such a model program. Well, everybody needs to tap the breaks and take a look at his skyrocketing crime rate within the program the last decade he was there. He was not the patron saint many want to make him out to be.
    Judge a man by his questions rather than by his answers.

-Voltaire

All-American
    Blog Entries

Not much to think about. Never been a Penn State fan, or a JoPa idolizer. What happened in State College is their Waterloo to deal with from here on out. I'm not going to judge who's culpable, and who isn't. A similar set of circumstances occurred within the Catholic Church in certain dioceses worldwide before being brought to light. Woe to those that were aware, but sat idly by and let it happen.
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

All-District

Heard that the decided not to take down his statue, just to turn it 180 degrees so that it is looking the other way.
    7.5>7

Practice Squad

Well, he got off easy. He passed.

Junior Varsity

Yeah, maybe change the 1 finger standing up to a big thumbs down on the statue

Quote Originally Posted by ethsfbnut View Post
    Well, he got off easy. He passed.
    Thats what makes it easy to dump on him. Hes not here to defend himself and call out if someone is lying. Perfect scapegoat.

BEAST
    Dont start none, wont be none!

Quote Originally Posted by BEAST View Post
    Thats what makes it easy to dump on him. Hes not here to defend himself and call out if someone is lying. Perfect scapegoat.

BEAST
    Scapegoat? You realize there will probably be several administrators that will go to prison?! No one is dumping JUST on him. He is not a scapegoat; he was neck deep in it along with the others that will be going to prison.

-Voltaire

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BEAST View Post

BEAST

Nobody with that much success is squeaky clean! Nobody! In fact the greater they are today the better they were in the past at covering up all the negative crap that they built their empire on. Nice guys finish last is a cliche' but it does have a ring of truth to it when dealing with the human nature.

There's some rich irony here to because some of you that may be old enough remember that Joe made a habit of calling out guys in the business that he felt like weren't doing things the right way: Jackie Sherrell, Switzer, the Rutgers coach a couple of years ago.

How Ironic that the disgrace he was a part of doesn't even begin to compare to what he was so ready to get on his soap box and speak out about.

-Voltaire

Junior Varsity

Paterno was a loser

Quote Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
    Scapegoat? You realize there will probably be several administrators that will go to prison?! No one is dumping JUST on him. He is not a scapegoat; he was neck deep in it along with the others that will be going to prison.
    I didnt say he was innocent. I said him being dead makes him an easy scapegoat.

BEAST
    Dont start none, wont be none!

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
    There's some rich irony here to because some of you that may be old enough remember that Joe made a habit of calling out guys in the business that he felt like weren't doing things the right way: Jackie Sherrell, Switzer, the Rutgers coach a couple of years ago.

How Ironic that the disgrace he was a part of doesn't even begin to compare to what he was so ready to get on his soap box and speak out about.
    And don't forget when he complained in 1969 about UT winning the NC in football when he could have played UT in the Cotton Bowl but they chose to go to the Orange Bowl where there was fun in the sun and maybe a few more dollars. He let his players decide instead of insisting on the Cotton Bowl. Years later he publicly insulted the late President Nixon to the cheers of PSU students.

Go Sinton Pirates and Lady Pirates! I also like old movies like "Dawn at Socorro." I also like the Tour de France. I like the Pelican West Band located at South Padre Island, Texas. Phil is PhiI is Bill is the compassion police. He is also the Sinton Matador. Some call him the Sinton Prophet. {Also Captain Obvious. } BEWARE OF THE HOWLING BEAR! He's going for the Corner - he's got it! Roy Orbison rules.
    Phil C Cares!

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by gatordaze View Post
    Heard that the decided not to take down his statue, just to turn it 180 degrees so that it is looking the other way.
    Ohhhh that's a good one.
    East Texas Speed.... As fast as small town gossip.

It only takes one mistake to erase a lifetime of good deeds, and this was a HUGE mistake on behalf of Joe Paterno and Penn State as a whole. I cannot even fathom how anyone could turn their head and look the other way in this situation!
    Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledgehammer!