Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Who Has The Better Season---LaMarque or Stephenville?

Since the February re-alignment, a lot of 3A buzz has centered around two big 4A dropdown powers---LaMarque and Stevenville. There has already been a significant amount of discussion about these two teams in prior threads on the 3ADL, but now, a little more than a month before the first practices, it is time to make a real assessment of each of these teams chances in the 3A classification. BTW--I do not want to give the impression that LaMarque and Stevenville are the ONLY good 3A teams worth discussing, but they are the ones drawing enough attention early to get a lot of good responses. Hope we get some, and I apologize in advance if some of you have to re-post some of the discussion on these two teams made earlier, but both team's schedules have been finalized, and we do now have the added input of DCTF Mag, Terry & Grant on "Sideline-to-Sideline", plus Matt Stepp and "The Old Coach" resources.

Who do you think will have the better initial season in 3A---the LaMarque Cougars or the Stephenville Yellowjackets, and why?`

All-District

I think Stephenville will because they will have a "easier" road to state...

LaMarque has their work cut out for them being in the toughest region in 3A...
    East Texas Speed.... As fast as small town gossip.

Saggy Aggie

im more familiar with LM being from the same part of the state and them being in the same district as us (West Columbia) so I'll say LM. I just think their athletes are better than anything 3A has seen lately.

I mean they're playing mostly good 4A schools in non district and there's a good chance they'll win those games. IMO, LM's talent is just too much for 3A. I predict LM will win state but not Stephenville (because I think 3A schools can match stephenville in talent)

Quote Originally Posted by Saggy Aggie View Post
    im more familiar with LM being from the same part of the state and them being in the same district as us (West Columbia) so I'll say LM. I just think their athletes are better than anything 3A has seen lately.

I mean they're playing mostly good 4A schools in non district and there's a good chance they'll win those games. IMO, LM's talent is just too much for 3A. I predict LM will win state but not Stephenville (because I think 3A schools can match stephenville in talent)
    If I'm reading you right, you are saying that you think LaMarque's overall athletic talent is greater than the rest of 3A, including Stevenville, and will carry them to a state title, and that Stevenville will not win a state title? I'm sure this will get responses from both camps---and that should be a good thing.

Practice Squad

Even though I'm a La Marque guy, I'd honestly have to say Stephenville. La Marque plays a brutal non district shedule. After their first 4 games they could be 1-3. Texas City, Coldspring and Lamar Consolidated will all bring back more than the Coogs. Throw on St. Pius with a QB committed to A&M and a trip to Dallas in the middle of district and there is no room for error.

They are also playing in the second hardest district in the state according to S2S so in 8 of their 10 games there is no room for error. I understand why the schedule was put together like that, to prepare them for the playoffs, but it's not really setting you up to win every game. If LM makes it through that schedule healthy and intact, watch out.

And speaking of the playoffs....LM is looking at a potential schedule of Coldspring 2nd round, Navasota 3rd round and WOS 4th round. Semifinals you could be playing the defending state champs.

I hope Saggy is right. I hope we bring home a 6th ring. But if we do, we will have earned it.

Quote Originally Posted by CTS View Post
    Even though I'm a La Marque guy, I'd honestly have to say Stephenville. La Marque plays a brutal non district shedule. After their first 4 games they could be 1-3. Texas City, Coldspring and Lamar Consolidated will all bring back more than the Coogs. Throw on St. Pius with a QB committed to A&M and a trip to Dallas in the middle of district and there is no room for error.

They are also playing in the second hardest district in the state according to S2S so in 8 of their 10 games there is no room for error. I understand why the schedule was put together like that, to prepare them for the playoffs, but it's not really setting you up to win every game. If LM makes it through that schedule healthy and intact, watch out.

And speaking of the playoffs....LM is looking at a potential schedule of Coldspring 2nd round, Navasota 3rd round and WOS 4th round. Semifinals you could be playing the defending state champs.

I hope Saggy is right. I hope we bring home a 6th ring. But if we do, we will have earned it.
    What offense/defense does LM run, and what are the strengths of each, CTS?

Saggy Aggie

Quote Originally Posted by Bullaholic View Post
    If I'm reading you right, you are saying that you think LaMarque's overall athletic talent is greater than the rest of 3A, including Stevenville, and will carry them to a state title, and that Stevenville will not win a state title? I'm sure this will get responses from both camps---and that should be a good thing.
    exactly, I don't think any team in 3A can match LM in talent across the field, including stephenville. Hell, their talent had damn near won them a couple titles in 4A the last couple years.

I know stephenville will be good, but I see a Brownwood type future for them... On top all season long and eventually someone will knock em out.

LM may lose a game or 2, but they'll be rolling by the time the playoffs come around. Navasota will be their biggest obstacle IMO
    Last edited by Saggy Aggie; 07-06-2012 at 11:17 AM.

Practice Squad

Defense they run a 3-4 with a lot of zone blitz schemes. I honestly feel like if there is one advantage LM has dropping down, it's the speed of the defense to the ball. Last year was one of the best and quickest defenses we have had and we have most of those guys back.

Offensively last year they put up huge numbers. All those skill kids are gone. They are multiple formation, spread and 2 back stuff. The closest I would compare it to is an Oklahoma State or Oregon scheme or the stuff Briles runs at Baylor. Last year in Week 5 they threw for 471 against Santa Fe and the next week rushed for 651 against Friendswood so it's hard to figure out what they do week to week, even as a fan watching.

The biggest thing about the offense is the tempo. They rotate waves of kids and they don't let the defense breathe. They are back up on the ball snapping it immediately. If kids are going both ways against them I could see that being a problem when we play teams because nobody goes both ways. We are all curious how they look early in the year being so young on that side of the ball.

Hope the scouting report helps. Lol

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by Saggy Aggie View Post
    exactly, I don't think any team in 3A can match LM in talent across the field, including stephenville. Hell, their talent had damn near won them a couple titles in 4A the last couple years.

I know stephenville will be good, but I see a Brownwood type future for them... On top all season long and eventually someone will knock em out.

LM may lose a game or 2, but they'll be rolling by the time the playoffs come around. Navasota will be their biggest obstacle IMO
    Good chance Navasota goes DI.

All-District

The Ville.
    2012 State Champions !!!

Quote Originally Posted by CTS View Post
    Defense they run a 3-4 with a lot of zone blitz schemes. I honestly feel like if there is one advantage LM has dropping down, it's the speed of the defense to the ball. Last year was one of the best and quickest defenses we have had and we have most of those guys back.

Offensively last year they put up huge numbers. All those skill kids are gone. They are multiple formation, spread and 2 back stuff. The closest I would compare it to is an Oklahoma State or Oregon scheme or the stuff Briles runs at Baylor. Last year in Week 5 they threw for 471 against Santa Fe and the next week rushed for 651 against Friendswood so it's hard to figure out what they do week to week, even as a fan watching.

The biggest thing about the offense is the tempo. They rotate waves of kids and they don't let the defense breathe. They are back up on the ball snapping it immediately. If kids are going both ways against them I could see that being a problem when we play teams because nobody goes both ways. We are all curious how they look early in the year being so young on that side of the ball.

Hope the scouting report helps. Lol
    I agree.....I'm interested to see how the QB situation shapes up......

CTS, im gonna interview the two Foreman kids from Texas City on Sunday at the rivals camp. What did you think of them last year?

Quote Originally Posted by MGAR View Post
    Good chance Navasota goes DI.
    All depends on what Taylor does.
    Cameron Yoemen - BACK-TO-BACK-TO-BACK State Champions

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by Gsquared View Post
    CTS, im gonna interview the two Foreman kids from Texas City on Sunday at the rivals camp. What did you think of them last year?
    Oh God, they are gonna let you in?

I was planning on going but oldest has baseball this weekend...

Practice Squad

Quote Originally Posted by Gsquared View Post
    They are both the REAL DEAL. They will be a load to handle when we play them week 1.