Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I understand your enthusiasm, and rightfully so considering what the team has done so far. Having said that, you might want to reign it in a bit until you see if they can still do this deep in the playoffs. Consider the 09 season where the Wylie first team D (with no subs mixed in) didn't allow more than a field goal until around game 6 or 7...and that was against some pretty good 4A-3A teams. Injuries and increased level of competition have a way of evening things out when you get to the playoffs....you guys will cruise through your district, but will likely find things a bit tougher if you meet one of the beasts from the east.

Junior Varsity

I dont think these guys are thinking there crap doesnt stink. They are just proud of what they are doing, and rightfully so. I dogged Alvarado all last year when they played my team, I have been paying alot of attention to them this year since I knew they would have most of their players back.. trust me I am sure they know they havent won anything yet and when they face Henderson again they will have their hands full

Alvarado was MIGHTY impressive on the D side of the ball when TXB and I saw them. Stiffling is the word id use for that night.

Junior Varsity

What do you think are the chances they take down Henderson or Chapel Hill if Alvarado makes it that far?

Quote Originally Posted by Gsquared View Post
    Alvarado was MIGHTY impressive on the D side of the ball when TXB and I saw them. Stiffling is the word id use for that night.

Quote Originally Posted by Lions88 View Post
    What do you think are the chances they take down Henderson or Chapel Hill if Alvarado makes it that far?
    This Friday will be the first time ive seen Henderson this year so right now I couldnt make a fair assesment of an Alvarado/Henderson matchup but have seen Chapel Hill and I honestly think Alvarado, as tuff as they looked, would have alot of problems keeping CH under wraps. I think CH would be just a bit to much for Alvarado.

All-American

so youve seen both, g2, either defense stick out to you?

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by trojandad View Post
    so youve seen both, g2, either defense stick out to you?
    c'mon, g2, you wont hurt feelings.....im really curious....you left our game going into the 4th and we were still pitching negative total offense numbers on o'field when you were leaving....

Quote Originally Posted by trojandad View Post
    c'mon, g2, you wont hurt feelings.....im really curious....you left our game going into the 4th and we were still pitching negative total offense numbers on o'field when you were leaving....
    I think Coldspring and Alvarado defenses looked really good, it was an apple to oranges kind of thing though. Kennedale in the Wing T getting stuffed at the line of scrimmage and Orangefield in multiple sets getting stuffed. Hard to go back and recall from memory but they both stood out in my mind. I do think that Coldspring is more dynamic offensivley on the edges where as Alvarado pounds pounds pounds then can pop one over the top. Id pay good money to see at CS/Alvarado matchup. Ill tell ya, after seeing West Columbia Friday, hope people dont sleep on them.

All-American

I think Coldspring and Alvarado defenses looked really good, it was an apple to oranges kind of thing though. Kennedale in the Wing T getting stuffed at the line of scrimmage and Orangefield in multiple sets getting stuffed. Hard to go back and recall from memory but they both stood out in my mind. I do think that Coldspring is more dynamic offensivley on the edges where as Alvarado pounds pounds pounds then can pop one over the top. Id pay good money to see at CS/Alvarado matchup. Ill tell ya, after seeing West Columbia Friday, hope people dont sleep on them.
    i thought about you the first series against cleveland, we got 3 holding calls the first 3 plays, each play scoring on a sweep, so on the fourth play barbay put gilbert in the slot on a quick break from the huddle and quick snap count, he pitched it left to monroe who got a head of steam going only to pitch it on a belly pitch to gilbert going back the other direction...about 3 of the indians defense went to the ground trying to switch gears that fast and several just stopped running, put their hands on their hips and watched gilbert like they were thinking "i havent caught this guy yet, why would i hope to catch him while im running the wrong direction?"....

felicia said "your friend that watched the orangefield game with us woulda liked that one"....she was right.....4 plays, 4 tds, the last one ankle breaking....

Junior Varsity

So if you had to predict a final as of October 17th, would you have Henderson and Chapel Hill?

All-American
    Blog Entries

Don't you mean "if" instead of "when" Lions 88?? Henderson must get thru Region 2 clean first, and so must Alvarado thru Region 1 "if" the two teams are to meet this year. Much stands in the way and many things can happen before such a meeting could take place.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon13 View Post
    I understand your enthusiasm, and rightfully so considering what the team has done so far. Having said that, you might want to reign it in a bit until you see if they can still do this deep in the playoffs. Consider the 09 season where the Wylie first team D (with no subs mixed in) didn't allow more than a field goal until around game 6 or 7...and that was against some pretty good 4A-3A teams. Injuries and increased level of competition have a way of evening things out when you get to the playoffs....you guys will cruise through your district, but will likely find things a bit tougher if you meet one of the beasts from the east.
    Pendragon, the nucleus of this season's Alvarado team is essentially the same team that lost to eventual D1 SC Henderson in the semis last season. I think you are correct in your evaluation criteria for playoff success, however, but this year's Alvarado does have some pedigree on which to draw and bolster their expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullaholic View Post
    Pendragon, the nucleus of this season's Alvarado team is essentially the same team that lost to eventual D1 SC Henderson in the semis last season. I think you are correct in your evaluation criteria for playoff success, however, but this year's Alvarado does have some pedigree on which to draw and bolster their expectations.
    Yes, I'm well aware of that. We faced them last year in the playoffs, and were actually leading the game until right before halftime...and that was with a not up to par Wylie team. That's not to say they weren't good last year and even better this year however..