Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Florida welfare

Default Florida welfare

Drug test for welfare

what do you think

LET'S KICK SHELL
    COWABUNGA

F.A.N.T.O.M. Physician and Speech Writer

Yes. Should do drug and alcohol testing. The hard drugs are usually out of your system in a few days, so even if they do start doing this it won't catch everyone.

I am sometimes mistaken, but I am never wrong.

People who buys Macs are stupid.

All-District

I agree there is a lot of abuse of the system out there and this is probably needed. On the other hand, it is tricky because you could say the same test be required for farmers receiving disaster funds and everyone will be in an uproar.

I tend to think we have to overcome these issues as individuals in order to remain a great society.
    Don't find fault, find a remedy...Henry Ford.

Originally posted by Old LB
    I agree there is a lot of abuse of the system out there and this is probably needed. On the other hand, it is tricky because you could say the same test be required for farmers receiving disaster funds and everyone will be in an uproar.

I tend to think we have to overcome these issues as individuals in order to remain a great society.
    We should start with a monthly random testing of all Politicians?
    Last edited by garciap77; 06-07-2011 at 04:34 PM.

All-American

I think this will be a huge waste of money. The only thing it will accomplish is it will make Floridians feel better until they realize that now, welfare costs much more than it did before.
    Wanna save some money? Require a birth control shot prior to receiving the checks.
    When I hear someone say "Im not book smart, Im street smart"; what I really hear is "Im not real smart, Im pretend smart".

All-District

Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
    I think this will be a huge waste of money. The only thing it will accomplish is it will make Floridians feel better until they realize that now, welfare costs much more than it did before.
    Wanna save some money? Require a birth control shot prior to receiving the checks.
    So should you require college graduates to do the same until all student loans are paid in full? See how this could get out of hand?

I'm not opposed to this, but I think it still misses the point.

The point is these people need to do everything in their powers to GET A JOB. I really could care less who is doing drugs. That's not the issue, IMO. If these folks were working, we wouldn't give a crap about the drug use.
    Judge a man by his questions rather than by his answers.

-Voltaire

All-American

So should you require college graduates to do the same until all student loans are paid in full? See how this could get out of hand?
    No, b/c you don't get more student loan money for having kids.
    When I hear someone say "Im not book smart, Im street smart"; what I really hear is "Im not real smart, Im pretend smart".

All-District

No, b/c you don't get more student loan money for having kids.
    I understand that, just saying if it gets started there is no end to the new regulations they could make up.

I don't disagree with you're point, just not sure this is the proper approach. It is a quick fix that does not address the need. Until you can present a better option like education and opportunity for this element of society then this problem will exist.

All-American

I understand that, just saying if it gets started there is no end to the new regulations they could make up.

I don't disagree with you're point, just not sure this is the proper approach. It is a quick fix that does not address the need. Until you can present a better option like education and opportunity for this element of society then this problem will exist.
    Well, Im probably a little jaded on this topic, but this element of society isn't interested in "better options". I deal with this element every day. 90% of society has no idea what really goes on with this "element". Infact, I'd venture to guess that what we're calling "welfare" is the least amount of money being delivered to this "element".
    I honestly believe that control, regulation, and outright refusal to fund this "element" is the only answer.

All-District

Well, Im probably a little jaded on this topic, but this element of society isn't interested in "better options". I deal with this element every day. 90% of society has no idea what really goes on with this "element". Infact, I'd venture to guess that what we're calling "welfare" is the least amount of money being delivered to this "element".
    I honestly believe that control, regulation, and outright refusal to fund this "element" is the only answer.
    Once again, I do not disagree with your point. However it stands to reason that if they say these folks have to be on birth control then a student who owes school loans would have a diminished ability to repay said loans due to child birth. You open a whole can of worms with regulations such as this. All the special interest groups will go crazy and then you will start to hear "why aren't the farmers tested, why aren't college students tested as part of the loans process" Just my opinion.

All-American

Originally posted by Emerson1
    Yes. Should do drug and alcohol testing. The hard drugs are usually out of your system in a few days, so even if they do start doing this it won't catch everyone.
    No they're in your system for a while.

All-American

Once again, I do not disagree with your point. However it stands to reason that if they say these folks have to be on birth control then a student who owes school loans would have a diminished ability to repay said loans due to child birth. You open a whole can of worms with regulations such as this. All the special interest groups will go crazy and then you will start to hear "why aren't the farmers tested, why aren't college students tested as part of the loans process" Just my opinion.
    Then start testing everyone on the government dole. If you don't wanna be tested, pay for it yourself. Live under my roof, you follow my rules, right?

All-District

Originally posted by sinfan75
    No they're in your system for a while.
    I did some reading the other day about this while working on a drug and alcohol program for work and with the current testing methods most all drugs will not show after 2-8 days. A lot depends on the individual and consumption amounts but it is reasonable to say you could beat the system if you knew the test dates.

I don't know the answer - but I am sick and tired of paying for other people's mistakes and bad judgement..

Isn't it strange that after a bombing everyone blames the Crazy Azz bomber(s), but after a shooting the problem is the gun?