Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Default Is Michael Joradan overrated?

I think he is the greatest to play just look at the numbers and I remember watching him as a kid. However, when he hit the shot against Utah I had just turned 10 years old and as a 10 year old you don't understand the game or the state of the league and all that stuff enough to really say for sure how great a player is. IMO you can't really understand the greatness of someone unless you follow the sport closely enough to understand the whole picture just not seeing a few of his games. For those of you who are older and watched most of his career what do you think?

Im not saying he is overrated but I have never understood why everything comes back to Jordan in the NBA unlike any other sport. You never hear in baseball people compare a young star outfielder to Barry Bonds or in football noone is comparing Aaron Rodgers to John Elway constantly when he wins or Joe Montana. I am not saying I think Jordan is overrated, but alll you ever hear about is the 6 championships and everything always comes back to Jordan and people ripping Pippen today because he said Lebron could be as good as Jordan. Everything is always about 6 championships, but they did win 55 games and push the Knicks to 7 the year after he retired and many say they were robbed of the series by bad officiating (I never buy the officiating excuse) and the Knicks took the Rockets to 7 in the finals.

I guess I was just wondering what everyone else thought Jordan and his career and how it is precieved nowadays by people and the media.
    Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
    Juwan Howard just fouled Brian Cardinal in the NBA finals?

If that's not a sign that the NBA needs to retract then I don't know what is.

His killer instinct is what sets him apart IMO

LET'S KICK SHELL
    COWABUNGA

F.A.N.T.O.M. Physician and Speech Writer

only dr. J was in his league( u would not have seen him play). MJ was the greatest!!!

I watched his entire career. No doubt he was the greatest! I wasnt even a Bulls fan, so I think I can be pretty objective about it. He just had the entire package, like none other I've ever seen.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin, 1759

“Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not.”
    -Thomas Jefferson-

PPHSfan

Who the Hell is Michael Joradan?

Blog Entries

Originally posted by zebrablue2
    only dr. J was in his league( u would not have seen him play). MJ was the greatest!!!
    the big O is better than dr. j
    #37 Ranked Downlow Poster- Coach

Starter

Michael Jordan is the greatest to ever play the sport. I think his attitude and his drive to be the best is what sets him apart. Understand that most NBA players have excellent athletic ability, like Jordan did. What Jordan had that the players today do not have is the drive, the want to, the need to be the best. Jordan didn't just want to beat Larry Bird and Magic Johnson, he needed to beat them. He didn't just want to win a championship, or multiple championship's in his case, he needed to win them. He knew what he had to do to be the best and he did just that.

In the NHL, everything always goes back to Wayne Gretzky just as it does to Michael Jordan in the NBA.

Originally posted by Bearkat
    Michael Jordan is the greatest to ever play the sport. I think his attitude and his drive to be the best is what sets him apart. Understand that most NBA players have excellent athletic ability, like Jordan did. What Jordan had that the players today do not have is the drive, the want to, the need to be the best. Jordan didn't just want to beat Larry Bird and Magic Johnson, he needed to beat them. He didn't just want to win a championship, or multiple championship's in his case, he needed to win them. He knew what he had to do to be the best and he did just that.
    I believe Kobe has a very similiar mentality to Jordan and has the heart and desire Jordan did he just isn't as good.

I wish I would of been alive in Jordans prime or older I feel like over thelast 6 years I am somewhat of an NBA expert just wish I could of watched all the 80s and 90s.

All-American

Originally posted by coach
    the big O is better than dr. j
    if milwaukee had played their hand right in 72, they could have had kareem, oscar and dr j....woulda added another ring to dr j....as it was, dr j started playing exhibition games later that year with atlanta and pistol pete...

i know ill get arguments and thats ok, but dr j was better than mike.....dr j was an all star at 4 different positions, one year at center over artis gilmore....neither michael nor dr j could beat bird or johnson in their prime, but neither had those kinds of teams around them....but in his prime jordan could have scored on j, but not inside....j could have scored on him both places....heck, jordan even admitted once he couldnt have stopped pistol, and pistol said in a pulpit once that dr j could score on anyone...

id start my team with dr j, for sure....jordan is a close second...

Blog Entries

Originally posted by trojandad
    if milwaukee had played their hand right in 72, they could have had kareem, oscar and dr j....woulda added another ring to dr j....as it was, dr j started playing exhibition games later that year with atlanta and pistol pete...

i know ill get arguments and thats ok, but dr j was better than mike.....dr j was an all star at 4 different positions, one year at center over artis gilmore....neither michael nor dr j could beat bird or johnson in their prime, but neither had those kinds of teams around them....but in his prime jordan could have scored on j, but not inside....j could have scored on him both places....heck, jordan even admitted once he couldnt have stopped pistol, and pistol said in a pulpit once that dr j could score on anyone...

id start my team with dr j, for sure....jordan is a

close second...

You start your team with dr j and I'll start mine with mj. And my team will beat your team 9 out of 10 times
    #37 Ranked Downlow Poster- Coach

Blog Entries

And I'll take Luke Walton, for the win
    “I don't know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal”

Saggy Aggie

Originally posted by BaseballUmp
    And I'll take Luke Walton, for the win
    lol'd

All-American

MJ was a rare player that you just don't find in the NBA these days. He had as much natural athletic ability as any player to ever dribble a basketball. He had the ability to beat you in the paint, on the perimeter, from the boards, and in your face. Plus, Jordon was am excellent defender and never shied away from covering the better offensive weapons on other teams. Some of the greatest NBA games you will ever see involved Jordon against Johnson and Jordon against Bird. Johnson was a great player, but he NEVER was in the league with Jordon. Bird had the same type of drive and determination, but he lacked the pure athletic ability of Jordon. And, for you late comers, Kobe, LeBron, and anybody today would not be near the NBA star that Jordon was in his prime. I have no doubt that Jordon is the best to play the game in the last 50 years.
    In a perfect world, I would always be a winner---Why is it that I find it so hard to reach perfection???

I feel like the idol worship of Jordan has gotten so bad that if someone did ever come along that was better (which they haven't yet) people would refuse to admit it.