Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    All-American

Default Brownwood, 88 points, et al...

Very stupid move on Shipley's part. I won't question the morality of such an act b/c I have been known to do similar things on occassion(but never to such an extent to score 88 points), but I will question the intelligence. You have a team who is cheapshoting your players, which obviously hightens your chances of sustaining injuries, and then you leave your starters in? You have a very realistic shot at a state championship(which every coach will tell you, staying healthy is probably the most important aspect of, especially at the lower levels), you're playing a team that is outmatched and has nothing to lose, they're attempting to hurt your kids, and you leave them in?
    Like I said, I dont blame him for running it up. Ive done the same thing. But, Brownwood is just one injury away from an early exit. Statement was made once you reached 50. Pull the starters at that point.
    When I hear someone say "Im not book smart, Im street smart"; what I really hear is "Im not real smart, Im pretend smart".

Default Re: Brownwood, 88 points, et al...

Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
    Very stupid move on Shipley's part. I won't question the morality of such an act b/c I have been known to do similar things on occassion(but never to such an extent to score 88 points), but I will question the intelligence. You have a team who is cheapshoting your players, which obviously hightens your chances of sustaining injuries, and then you leave your starters in? You have a very realistic shot at a state championship(which every coach will tell you, staying healthy is probably the most important aspect of, especially at the lower levels), you're playing a team that is outmatched and has nothing to lose, they're attempting to hurt your kids, and you leave them in?
    Like I said, I dont blame him for running it up. Ive done the same thing. But, Brownwood is just one injury away from an early exit. Statement was made once you reached 50. Pull the starters at that point.
    I said that at the very beginning of the 88 points thread. Just seems like an unnecessary risk at some point.
    I’m kinda a big deal.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Brownwood, 88 points, et al...

Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
    You have your opinion from reading the posts, but have no clue if you were not there. I agree to play your kids hard. Less chance of injury. If you back off, then you increase the chance. Who else would you put in there? 2nd teamers that come in cold? NO.

Why in the world is it okay in every other sport to score as many points as you can, but in football, it's viewed as classless?
    STEPHENVILLE YELLOWJACKET FOOTBALL
    STATE CHAMPS 1993, 1994, 1998, 1999, 2012, 2021

STEPHENVILLE HONEYBEE SOCCER
    STATE CHAMPS 2017, 2019

Default Re: Re: Brownwood, 88 points, et al...

Originally posted by hollywood
    You have your opinion from reading the posts, but have no clue if you were not there. I agree to play your kids hard. Less chance of injury. Why in the world is it okay in every other sport to score as many points as you can, but in football, it's viewed as classless?
    You read his post right? He didn't question the "morality" of it. Just the common sense of it.
    I’m kinda a big deal.

All-American

Default Re: Re: Brownwood, 88 points, et al...

You have your opinion from reading the posts, but have no clue if you were not there. I agree to play your kids hard. Less chance of injury. If you back off, then you increase the chance. Who else would you put in there? 2nd teamers that come in cold? NO.

Why in the world is it okay in every other sport to score as many points as you can, but in football, it's viewed as classless?
    Reading comprehension is your friend.
    When I hear someone say "Im not book smart, Im street smart"; what I really hear is "Im not real smart, Im pretend smart".

All-American

There is also the other side of the equation...Shipley needed somethin gto keep the fire alive in the boys, who have not been challenged to any real degree this year (not saying their opponents were terrible, saying their opponents werent in their class). He was given a gift last night...a gift of a rallying cry, a gift of having something to bond the boys together...this doesnt bode well for the future opponents. I think Shipley made a wise move, albeit risky. It paid off.

Blog Entries

I can see from outside looking in you risk your starters getting injured. Common sense in most cases says to pull starters in the 3rd quarter. But why not play the starters into the fourth quarter to prepare them for games down the road? One could argue until the end of time on both strategies.

I feel he did the right thing from witnessing the entire game.

STATE CHAMPS 2017, 2019

Originally posted by wimbo_pro
    There is also the other side of the equation...Shipley needed somethin gto keep the fire alive in the boys, who have not been challenged to any real degree this year (not saying their opponents were terrible, saying their opponents werent in their class). He was given a gift last night...a gift of a rallying cry, a gift of having something to bond the boys together...this doesnt bode well for the future opponents. I think Shipley made a wise move, albeit risky. It paid off.
    Could not agree more. IP woke a sleeping GIANT. Not that we were really sleeping but you get the idea.
    Hardin-Simmons Cowboys
    Brownwood Lions

I can see from outside looking in you risk your starters getting injured. Common sense in most cases says to pull starters in the 3rd quarter. But why not play the starters into the fourth quarter to prepare them for games down the road? One could argue until the end of time on both strategies.
    In a game absent of hostilities, absolutely. When you have people intentionally trying to hurt your stud players, giving them more opportunities to do so makes sense how? And I'm really just playing the devil's advocate. I could care less and defend you guys more often than not on here. Just would have sucked if bravado would have cost you a few good players.
    I’m kinda a big deal.

All-American

Risk not worth the reward. Better reward is getting your 2nd teamers some time so that if you DO sustain an injury, you're not putting in kids who have never played in a playoff atmosphere.
    One IP kid decides to "Romo" Brownwood's QB, and the state championship season possibly becomes an regional semifinalist season. That doesn't look nearly as good on a letterman's jacket or on a resume.

All-American

Do we really need another thread about this?
    “Evil triumphs when good men do nothing”
    ~Thomas Jefferson.
    Goldthwaite Eagles 1A Div 1 State Champions 2009

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/sounds/sanfordandson.wav

All-American

Originally posted by DDBooger
    In a game absent of hostilities, absolutely. When you have people intentionally trying to hurt your stud players, giving them more opportunities to do so makes sense how? And I'm really just playing the devil's advocate. I could care less and defend you guys more often than not on here. Just would have sucked if bravado would have cost you a few good players.
    True DBooger...but it apparently didnt cost them...and they now reap the benefit of it. I am on Brownwoods<bows head> side on this one.

Originally posted by wimbo_pro
    True DBooger...but it apparently didnt cost them...and they now reap the benefit of it. I am on Brownwoods<bows head> side on this one.
    I really don't see a benefit from it. Those kids knew they weren't going to win, so they tried their best to leave their mark. Mistakes not resulting in consequences doesn't mean they're not mistakes. They can often lead to larger consequences down the road. I have a feeling Brownwood may see some more shenanigans the rest of the way.
    I’m kinda a big deal.

Blog Entries

And I welcome your view and question. But, if you have the superior athletes and want to challenge them to play the other opponent as hard and to the best of their abilities, is there anything wrong with that? A player takes a risk as soon as he steps onto the playing field. I think he did what he felt was right at the time. I would also think that after it was all over and Pondered on what had transpired over 3 1/2 hours of sloppy football, he might have done a few things differently.

STATE CHAMPS 2017, 2019

All-American

I really don't see a benefit from it. Those kids knew they weren't going to win, so they tried their best to leave their mark. Mistakes not resulting in consequences doesn't mean they're not mistakes. They can often lead to larger consequences down the road. I have a feeling Brownwood may see some more shenanigans the rest of the way.
    Well, who knows? But I got a feeling the team (and town) are ramped up now far more than they would of otherwise been. They needed something to make them unite and rally around...IP gave it to them. As far as other teams "coming after them", well...if they do ina less-than-sportsmanship manner, they will pay a heavy price.