Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rules question

Blog Entries

Default Rules question

Several of the Farmer's opponents in the recent years have a offensive play that causes me anguish everytime they run it because it seems to be pass interferrence. They line up with 3 receivers out wide and one receiver steps back at the snap while the other two go forward and block the defenders. The QB throws a pass to the receiver that stepped back. So why isn't this offensive pass interference on the blocking receivers who are blocking the defenders before the pass is even thrown? I understand if the receiver moves far enough back for the pass to be a latteral then blocking is allowed but this isn't the case. I discussed this with several people lately and have gotten several different answers. In my opinion it is a blatant illegal move and some teams get away with it all the time. At times the blockers go 10 yards to block the defenders while the ball is in the air!
    Any insights?

PPSTATEBOUND

Rules violation and needs to be called more.

Blog Entries

Originally posted by PPSTATEBOUND
    Rules violation and needs to be called more.

This play is a staple in the Pottsboro offense! I saw it at least 30 times last night!

Default Re: Rules question

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Farmersfan
    [B]Several of the Farmer's opponents in the recent years have a offensive play that causes me anguish everytime they run it because it seems to be pass interferrence. They line up with 3 receivers out wide and one receiver steps back at the snap while the other two go forward and block the defenders. The QB throws a pass to the receiver that stepped back. So why isn't this offensive pass interference on the blocking receivers who are blocking the defenders before the pass is even thrown? I understand if

As long as the reciever catches the ball behind the line of scramage it is a screen. It is a legal play. Blocking is permited on a screen.

Originally posted by gordo
    As long as the reciever catches the ball behind the line of scramage it is a screen. It is a legal play. Blocking is permited on a screen.
    yep I was going to say the same thing..no different than the OL releasing and getting to the LBs as an offense sets up a screen to the RB
    Sideline To Sideline Show Each Week at https://lonestargridiron.com/categor...-to-sideline//

Blog Entries

Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
    yep I was going to say the same thing..no different than the OL releasing and getting to the LBs as an offense sets up a screen to the RB

That makes sense! Seems like a screwed up rule to allow downfield interference by the offense though. But I can see the wisdom of running the play.

All-American

Originally posted by Farmersfan
    That makes sense! Seems like a screwed up rule to allow downfield interference by the offense though. But I can see the wisdom of running the play.

well the defender is allowed to make contact with a receiver behind the line and not be called for pass interference....there are how ever other things he could be called for ...like holding.

Junior Varsity

Not legal in NFL, but I believe as long as the pass is caught behind the line of scrimmage down field blocking is allowed per NCAA rules.
    All right, now, I don't want them to gain another yard! You blitz... all... night! If they cross the line of scrimmage, I'm gonna take every last one of you out! You make sure they remember, forever, the night they played the Cowboys!

Blog Entries

Originally posted by NastySlot
    well the defender is allowed to make contact with a receiver behind the line and not be called for pass interference....there are how ever other things he could be called for ...like holding.

But doesn't that change IF the ball is in the air?? If it is a forward pass (not a latteral) then regardless of where the receiver is he can't be interfered with once the ball is thrown. Isn't that correct? Even on a screen the RB can be interfered with if the defense makes contact once the ball is thrown. Or am I missing part of the rules?

Blog Entries

Originally posted by Cowboy_Up
    Not legal in NFL, but I believe as long as the pass is caught behind the line of scrimmage down field blocking is allowed per NCAA rules.

I think this is where my frustration comes from. I'm thinking if it's illegal in the NFL then it also should be illegal in high school.

All-District

Default Re: Rules question

Originally posted by Farmersfan
    Several of the Farmer's opponents in the recent years have a offensive play that causes me anguish everytime they run it because it seems to be pass interferrence. They line up with 3 receivers out wide and one receiver steps back at the snap while the other two go forward and block the defenders. The QB throws a pass to the receiver that stepped back. So why isn't this offensive pass interference on the blocking receivers who are blocking the defenders before the pass is even thrown? I understand if the receiver moves far enough back for the pass to be a latteral then blocking is allowed but this isn't the case. I discussed this with several people lately and have gotten several different answers. In my opinion it is a blatant illegal move and some teams get away with it all the time. At times the blockers go 10 yards to block the defenders while the ball is in the air!
    Any insights?
    Even more interesting is the shovel pass. It happens between the tackles and if fumbled/dropped is incomplete so it must be a pass.

If you watch the line blocking they are almost always run blocking and therefore down field.

In both cases the defense is at a great disadvantage with almost no risk to the offense.

All-American

d. Pass interference rules apply only during a down in which a legal forward pass crosses the neutral zone (Rules 2-19-3 and 7-3-8-a and c) (A.R. 10-2-2-XXIV).

This should answer your question.

Do not EVER confuse Friday night with Sunday. There are MANY differences.
    Last edited by CenTexSports; 09-03-2010 at 10:13 AM.

Junior Varsity

Originally posted by Cowboy_Up
    I am going to have to disagree with you on that one Cowboy....by saying that you are saying that in the NFL all Screens are illegal. and just last night I saw both the cowboys and the dolphins run several screens. Screens are legal at all levels as long as the ball is caught behind the lie of scrimmage.

Blog Entries

Originally posted by CenTexSports
    d. Pass interference rules apply only during a down in which a legal forward pass crosses the neutral zone (Rules 2-19-3 and 7-3-8-a and c) (A.R. 10-2-2-XXIV).

This should answer your question.

Do not EVER confuse Friday night with Sunday. There are MANY differences.

Does this include interference on the defensive players also? Just curious if a defender can take a receiver out before the ball gets caught if it's behind the line. I don't remember ever seeing interference called against a defense when contacting a RB during a screen play but they always call holding on the defense if they hit the RB.