Default 40 years ago today.....

Hurricane Celia

Further down in the article there is a small photo of the harbor in Aransas Pass. I bet there other photos out there somewhere. It certainly was a catastrophic day.

PPSTATEBOUND

Bad deal....

THIS webpage is a bit more interesting. No photos, but many eye-witness accounts from people in towns all across South Texas.

Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
    THIS webpage is a bit more interesting. No photos, but many eye-witness accounts from people in towns all across South Texas.
    That is one day I would like to forget but never will. To be an eyewitness to the devastation was "devastating" to me. I rode out the storm at Ingleside-on-the-Bay. I hope I never have to experience something like that again.

I remember this one because my father went to the devistated area to help with the repairs (he worked for the telephone company) He was gone almost a month before we saw him again. He still tells stories of how bad the damage was.

My mom lost her home to Hurricane Celia.

All-American

Our house in Corpus Christi split in half during that storm. I was a few months old.

I remember peeking through the holes in the plywood covering the windows and watching huge oak trees break in half as if they were toothpicks. I also remember my Dad going next door to help the neighbors during the eye of the storm. It was terrifying.

I was in Ingleside also.

I was not quite 2 years old, but I do have one little snapshot of a memory of Celia...watching my Dad peep through the window on our front door with all kinds of loud noises going on. That's the earliest memory I have of anything.

Later, he would tell me that I was crying during the storm...not because I was scared, but because he and my mom wouldn't let me go outside to play football.
    CALALLEN WILDCATS

TRADITION NEVER GRADUATES

Default Re: 40 years ago today.....

Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
    Hurricane Celia

Further down in the article there is a small photo of the harbor in Aransas Pass. I bet there other photos out there somewhere. It certainly was a catastrophic day.
    I think that article is wrong. I believe Celia was officially classified a stage IV hurricane. I rode it out in Sinton and can definitely say if that was a four, I don't EVER want to see a five. The wind meter at the Corpus Christi airport could record winds up to 200 mph, and that storm broke it. It had sustained winds near 170 and gusts up over 200. Definitely the nastiest storm I've ever been in.

Designed and created by pirate44

IHStangFan

This was on my mother's 12th birthday. As the story goes....one of the windows blew out in the house and her gifts were sucked out the window, LOL. Then afterwards she recalls watching her duck swim around the living room.

All-American

That storm SUCKED!! And I'll leave it at that.

All-American

Originally posted by sinfan75
    That storm SUCKED!! And I'll leave it at that.
    I heard otherwise...

Rookie

I was 5 years old and living in Alice. We evacuated to San Antonio. Something like 15" of rain. That's about all I remember. That and the swarms of mosquitoes.

All-District

My mom has a book that they published with pictures, I was born few days later on the 8th
    THE SPIRIT IS NEVERENDING

"I'm sure every school feels like this, but I feel like we get circled because of past success"--Sinton coach Tom Allen

Though Young And Building, The Sinton Pirates Are Still Powerful--Coastal Bend Herald