Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Angry Got a speeding Ticket!!

I got a spedding ticket Friday night on my way to Dallas from a DPS Officer. Get this. He gave me a ticket for going 57 in a 55!! I ask him if her was serious and he said yes! This is my 1st ticket in my life and I'm 31.

What should I do? Pay the ticket? Take defensive driving or what? I work for UPS and if you have a ticket on your record, they will take you off your route for a year.

If I take Defensive Driving, do I still have to pay the ticket?
    Can I take defensive driving online?
    Palestine Wildcats
    Season Over
    Overall 7-4) 19-3A (4-1)
    Texas Longhorns
    At Baylor
    Overall: (8-3) Big 12: (7-1)
    Pittsburgh Steelers
    Vs Miami
    Overall: (5-7) AFC North (2-2)

All-State

Yes, you can take defensive driving online. The last time I did that, I did not have to pay for the ticket but I did have to pay some kind of "court cost" that was around $175. You can also ask for deferred adjudication, which means they'll give you some kind of window (like 3 months) and, if you don't get another ticket, they'll not put that ticket on your record. But again you may have to pay some kind of court fee.

Default Re: Got a speeding Ticket!!

Originally posted by PHS Wildcats
    I got a spedding ticket Friday night on my way to Dallas from a DPS Officer. Get this. He gave me a ticket for going 57 in a 55!! I ask him if her was serious and he said yes! This is my 1st ticket in my life and I'm 31.

What should I do? Pay the ticket? Take defensive driving or what? I work for UPS and if you have a ticket on your record, they will take you off your route for a year.

Go to JP explain your situation, and asked to have it dismissed or ask for deferred ajudication. Either one of those are much better than defensive driving.
    Every game is a BIG game.

Originally posted by BullsFan
    Yes, you can take defensive driving online. The last time I did that, I did not have to pay for the ticket but I did have to pay some kind of "court cost" that was around $175. You can also ask for deferred adjudication, which means they'll give you some kind of window (like 3 months) and, if you don't get another ticket, they'll not put that ticket on your record. But again you may have to pay some kind of court fee.
    Yes, you pay court costs. It will probably be as much as the ticket, but no record and no points.

I'm a police officer down here, and I wouldn't write that ticket. There should be a margin of error that He should allow for...it's only right.
    Stealth Baby!!!!!

By the way,you didn't ask him if he why he wasn't at the donut shop at the time...did you.
    Stealth Baby!!!!!

Was riding with a buddy once, during my freshman year of high school and he got pulled over for 36 in a 35. Cop gave him a ticket too LOL

I work for a dept. that is known for writing tickets...heck we even made National Geographic...but we don't write em for 1 or 2 over. Thats chicken stuff.
    Stealth Baby!!!!!

Administrator/Owner LH Panther Mom's Avatar

I just sat on two juries this morning for traffic court. If you fight it, at least try not to sound like a schmuck!

57 in a 55 - I would think asking for deferred adjufication would be an option. If that doesn't work, take defensive driving. It will cost you around the same amount, but like has been said, the ticket's not on your record PLUS you get to save on your insurance.
    Quick side! Strong side! Crank up the Machine!

Default Re: Got a speeding Ticket!!

Wow really a surprise but I would take the defensive driving if possible. Ive only been pulled over once for going 50 in a 30 and didnt get a ticket but i guess he was in a good mood.

Thanks guys. I've been searching online and see that I can take defensive driving online. It's a 6 hour course and it's $25 to take the course. If I take it online, do I still have to pay court cost or can anyone explain what the difference is between the regular defensive driving and the one online?
    Palestine Wildcats
    Season Over
    Overall 7-4) 19-3A (4-1)
    Texas Longhorns
    At Baylor
    Overall: (8-3) Big 12: (7-1)
    Pittsburgh Steelers
    Vs Miami
    Overall: (5-7) AFC North (2-2)

You still have to go through the court. The judge has to say you can take defensive driving.

Designed and created by pirate44

Administrator/Owner LH Panther Mom's Avatar

Thanks guys. I've been searching online and see that I can take defensive driving online. It's a 6 hour course and it's $25 to take the course. If I take it online, do I still have to pay court cost or can anyone explain what the difference is between the regular defensive driving and the one online?
    If you do a comedy one, you usually get a meal thrown in.

Yes, court costs are the same regardless, which is about the same as the ticket. At least that's what lhpd tells me.
    Quick side! Strong side! Crank up the Machine!

I would highly suggest to try and get it dismissed. The worst thing the JP can do is say no, but if he says yes then you are out zero $.

If you were only 2mph over then you have a good shot. This guy was probably behind on his quota (yes they do have a quota) and it was the last weekend of the month.

My kids take the online one at Ticketstop.com.

It's easy and you can spread it out over time and complete it

Beware....they ask trick questions on there as to what the guy talking to you is wearing, etc.