PDA

View Full Version : Monahans 42 Greenwood 0 Final

M-town lobo fan
11-06-2009, 11:10 PM
Greenwood had 1 1st down & maybe 20 total yards the entire game.Way to go Loboes

Ranger Mom
11-06-2009, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by M-town lobo fan
Greenwood had 1 1st down & maybe 20 total yards the entire game.Way to go Loboes

WOW!!

Last I heard, we had 31 yards of offense...and that was in the first half!!:D

IHStangFan
11-06-2009, 11:12 PM
WOW!

Daddy D 11
11-06-2009, 11:13 PM
Greenwood... meet the woodshed. :eek:

Ranger Mom
11-06-2009, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
Greenwood... meet the woodshed. :eek:

I saw this coming from day 1....which is why I went to exactly 1-1/2 games this season.

I talked to a guy at the store earlier who said the coin toss for the 2 remaining spots will happen at 11:00 in Andrews.

CONGRATS MONAHANS!!!!!

skins4life
11-06-2009, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
WOW!!

Last I heard, we had 31 yards of offense...and that was in the first half!!:D

Snyder had 2 first downs and 40 total yards in the 2nd half against Brownwood.
:mad:

tex_male
11-07-2009, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I saw this coming from day 1....which is why I went to exactly 1-1/2 games this season.

I talked to a guy at the store earlier who said the coin toss for the 2 remaining spots will happen at 11:00 in Andrews.

CONGRATS MONAHANS!!!!!

I sure hope Greenwood wins a spot.... Your Rangers team and fan are great people... While teams were warming up before the game Titus was standing at the 50 talking to the injured Greenwood Qb and everyone one of the Rangers players and coaches walked by him and shook his hand... GOOD LUCK RANGERS

tex_male
11-07-2009, 12:06 AM
Looks like Monahans plays Clint next Friday in Monahans

M-town lobo fan
11-07-2009, 12:32 AM
Yeah great sportsmanship on both sides.Goodluck to Greenwood in the post season

Tres Lobos
11-07-2009, 01:35 AM
just found out that Seminole and Andrews won the toss, so that puts greenwood as the odd man out. Sad to hear because from watching all 3 i thought greenwood was the best even though they lost to andrews head to head. Congrats on a good season greenwood success will be here soon again for the rangers.

oh and by the way the loboes had around 470 total yards and i think about 22 first downs and greenwood had 24 total yards and 1 first down. Pretty dominating!

Tres Lobos
11-07-2009, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by tex_male
Looks like Monahans plays Clint next Friday in Monahans

Monahans will play Pecos on Thursday in Odessa at Ratliff! :cool:

Ranger Mom
11-07-2009, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Tres Lobos
just found out that Seminole and Andrews won the toss, so that puts greenwood as the odd man out. Sad to hear because from watching all 3 i thought greenwood was the best even though they lost to andrews head to head. Congrats on a good season greenwood success will be here soon again for the rangers.

oh and by the way the loboes had around 470 total yards and i think about 22 first downs and greenwood had 24 total yards and 1 first down. Pretty dominating!

IMO, Monahans is the only 3-3A team that has a chance to get past the 2nd round.

Ranger Mom
11-07-2009, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by tex_male
I sure hope Greenwood wins a spot.... Your Rangers team and fan are great people... While teams were warming up before the game Titus was standing at the 50 talking to the injured Greenwood Qb and everyone one of the Rangers players and coaches walked by him and shook his hand... GOOD LUCK RANGERS

Thank you, that's nice to hear!!

I hate to miss the playoffs after a 10 year streak....but figured these next couple of years may be lean.

Bless their hearts, but this group of boys have never had much success....I don't know if we will ever be back to the success of the 2002 team, but we have some talent coming up in the next couple of years.

tex_male
11-07-2009, 10:58 AM
http://varsity.oaoa.com/articles/monahans-5017-greenwood-60s.html

Football: Monahans crushes Greenwood to clinch outright district title
Comments 0 | Recommend 0
Owens picks up 100th win
November 07, 2009 12:41 AM
BY GEOFF FOLSOM
MONAHANS With temperatures in the 60s, the “Klingon” proverb that revenge is a dish best served cold wasn’t really applicable.

But in its 42-0 rout Friday night at Estes Memorial Stadium, Monahans (10-0, 5-0 District 3-3A) made last season’s regular-season ending loss to Greenwood seem like a generation ago.

Along with a payback for last seasons 21-14 overtime loss at Greenwood, a perfect regular season and a guaranteed top five finish in the Associated Press final regular season poll, the victory also brought Monahans coach Mickey Owens his 100th career victory. But Owens said only one thing mattered to him.

“The district championship,” Owens said moments after injured quarterback Quincy Titus lifted the championship trophy while wearing a neck brace. “More than the 100th win, more than the 10-0. I wouldn’t care if we were 7-3, the district championship was everything.”

With the loss, Greenwood fell into a three-way tie with Seminole and Andrews for second place in the district. The Rangers lost out at a coin flip in Andrews, as Seminole won the first flip to finish second and Andrews won the next flip to eliminate the Rangers.

In this game, defense was everything. Monahans had 29 first downs to one for Greenwood (6-4, 3-2). The Loboes outgained the Rangers 474 yards to 26.

“We didn’t want to share the district title at all,” said Monahans quarterback Wade Roark, who started for Titus the last three games of the season. “We just wanted to have it for ourselves. We just came out and executed.”

Roark completed 9 of 16 passes for 190 yards and three touchdown passes. On defense, he got one of three interceptions against Greenwood quarterback Kaden Hatley.

Hatley completed 1 of 15 passes on the game for -6 yards.

Meanwhile, the Monahans rushing game compiled 284 yards, which is slightly below its average for the season. Sophomore Byron Scharf led the way with 116 yards on 12 carries. He had four touchdowns in the game, all coming in the first half, when the Loboes took a 35-0 lead to the locker room. He said the key to his improvement has been getting used to the different speed on varsity.

Owens said he didn’t look at the game as revenge for the 2008 loss that sent Monahans to a three-way tie for the district title with Greenwood and Seminole, just “a little redemption.”

Now, Monahans turns its focus to the postseason and a bi-district meeting against a Pecos team the Loboes beat 57-7 earlier this season. The Loboes face the rival Eagles at 7:30 p.m. Thursday at Ratliff Stadium.

“You’ve got to play great defense,” Owens said of the playoffs. “Your kicking game has to be big. The good ones change gears. Starting next week, you’ve got to change gears.”

Tight end and linebacker Ricky Robledo, who led Monahans with three catches for 110 yards, including a 60-yard second quarter touchdown, said the team is up to the challenge.

“It’s gonna take a lot of hard practice, hard work, keep up the good defense and good offense,” he said. “I think we’ll be fine.”

Greenwood coach Steve Taylor’s team had a more uncertain fate. Once again the Rangers were in a three-way tie, but this time it was for second place with Seminole and Andrews. He was going to have to attend a coin flip at an undisclosed location later Friday night in order to find out whether his team would get one of three available postseason spots in the district.

But the fifth-year Greenwood coach said one thing was certain — this was a dominant Monahans team.

“This is the best team I’ve played since I’ve been at Greenwood,” he said. “We got to the quarterfinals and played Graham and Vernon. Monahans would beat them by three touchdowns at least.”

Monahans 42, Greenwood 0

Greenwood......................... 0 0 0 0 — 0

Monahans........................ 13 22 7 0 — 42

SCORING SUMMARY

First Quarter

Monahans: Byron Scharf 2 run (Ty Horton kick), 8:16.

Monahans: Scharf 5 pass from Wade Roark (kick failed), 2:17.

Second Quarter

Monahans: Scharf 7 run (Ricky Robledo pass from Roark), 6:36.

Monahans: Robledo 60 pass from Roark (Horton kick), 3:56.

Monahans: Scharf 3 run (Horton kick), 1:38.

Third Quarter

Monahans: Rex Rose 8 pass from Roark (Horton kick) 1:39.

———

TEAM STATISTICS

Greenwood Monahans

First downs................................ 1............. 29

Total yards.............................. 26........... 474

Rushes-yards................... 19-32...... 54-284

Passing................................... -6........... 190

Comp-Att-Int.................... 1-15-3...... 9-16-0

Punts-Avg......................... 7-38.1....... 2-52.5

Fumbles-Lost........................ 2-0............ 4-1

Penalties-Yards..................... 1-5.......... 6-65

———

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS

Rushing

Greenwood: Kaden Hatley 7-13, Kyle Young 6-13, Cole Barton 4-13, Jesse Madrid 1-1.

Monahans: Byron Scharf 12-116, Colby Denton 17-94, Micah Ramsey 6-27, Wade Roark 4-8, Ricky Robledo 1-2, Andrew Gaona 7-24, Logan Mitchell 3-19, Mathew Santiago 1-3, Ricky Chandler 2-(-5).

Passing

Greenwood: Kaden Hatley 1-15-3—(-6).

Monahans: Wade Roark 9-16-0—190.

Receiving

Greenwood: Aaron Norris 1-(-6).

Monahans: Ricky Robledo 3-110, Ty Horton 1-24, Byron Scharf 1-19, Martin Marquez 1-19, Colby Denton 1-10, Rex Rose 1-5.

WTF-82
11-07-2009, 10:58 AM
Monahans will play Pecos on Thursday in Odessa at Ratliff! :cool:

Clint beat Pecos so they earned the right to play Loboes it will be Monahans vs Clint Friday at Estes Memorial stadium in Monahans I expect 40,000 fans there.

WTF-82
11-07-2009, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by ***-82
Clint beat Pecos so they earned the right to play Loboes it will be Monahans vs Clint Friday at Estes Memorial stadium in Monahans I expect 40,000 fans there.

Hek sorry I may be wrong but this was the game I was told I will make sure.

Tres Lobos
11-07-2009, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by ***-82

No it still monahans vs pecos in ratliff 7:30 thursday. Pecos got beat by to many points, I didn't really understand it, but its for sure pecos.

WTF-82
11-07-2009, 11:08 AM
No it still monahans vs pecos in ratliff 7:30 thursday. Pecos got beat by to many points, I didn't really understand it, but its for sure pecos.

Ok thanks for clearing that up thats what they get for throwing the game to avoid the Loboes !

tex_male
11-07-2009, 11:17 AM
H.S. Football: Rangers blown out, then lose coin flip

Read more: http://www.mywesttexas.com/articles/2009/11/07/sports/top_stories/11-7_greenwood-monahans_tm_read.txt#ixzz0WBuPgTFg

by Oscar LeRoy
Midland Reporter-Telegram
Published: Saturday, November 7, 2009 4:13 AM CST
MONAHANS -- The slogan for the No. 4-ranked Monahans High School football team this season is "Leave No Doubt." That certainly was the case on Friday night as the Loboes did just about anything they wanted to do against Greenwood at Estes Memorial Stadium.

Wade Roark's passing was crisp, Byron Scharf ran the ball hard and the Loboes' defense was its usual suffocating self as Monahans completed an undefeated regular season and clinched the District 3-3A title with a resounding 42-0 victory over the Rangers. (SPECIAL VIDEO REPORT: "The playoffs start now")

This is the second time that Monahans (10-0, 5-0 in district) has finished the regular season undefeated in the five years under head coach Mickey Owens. The Loboes were 10-0 in 2005, Owens' first year at the school.

"The 10-0 is big but the district championship means more than that," said Owens, who also won his 100th game as a coach.

Added Roark about the undefeated season, "I knew we could do it. We had tons of confidence coming into this game. If we just play hard, we know we can go far in the playoffs."

No matter what the Rangers (6-4, 3-2) tried, they couldn't find any answers as they were held to 32 yards total and threw three interceptions.

"They've got a heck of a football team," said Greenwood coach Steve Taylor of the Loboes. "They out-blocked and out-tackled us and that's what football is all about. They did a great job and I think they'll be playing for a long time."

Late Friday night it got more disappointing for the Rangers as Taylor lost a coin flip with Andrews coach Jeff Cordell and Seminole coach Chris Burtch for the final two playoff spots. That ends a 10-year playoff streak for the Rangers.

The Loboes didn't need a coin flip as there was no doubt that they were going to the postseason. The Loboes are set to play Pecos. the No. 2 seed out of District 4-3A, at 7:30 p.m. Thursday at Odessa's Ratliff Stadium in the bi-district round of the Class 3A Division II playoffs.

Monahans got a huge lift from some of their young stars. Roark, a junior, was 9-of-16 passing for 190 yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions. Scharf, a sophomore, rushed for 114 yards on 12 carries and scored four touchdowns. And to think, both players are filling in for injured seniors Quincy Titus and Arturo Aranda -- both out for the year.

"Those guys have been stepping up all year," Owens said. "I wasn't surprised. We have a lot of confidence in those two."

Once again, the Loboes got off to a fabulous start as they scored on their first drive of the game and set the tone with Scharf's running. Scharf carried the ball four times for 46 yards and capped off the 80-yard drive with a 2-yard run. Later in the quarter, Roark found Scharf for a 5-yard TD pass and a 13-0 lead.

The Loboes did not let up as they scored 22 in the second quarter for a commanding 45-0 halftime lead.

"We really started well offensively, I thought," Owens said. "We ran the football as well as we've run it all year. I thought Wade threw the football extremely well. And our defense, oh gosh ...we feel if we put some points on the board, our defense will keep them under control, and that's what they did tonight. They've been consistent all year."

Roark said his job was made easier with the way the defense swarmed to the football.

"The defense was great, especially knowing the kind of offense we had to go against," said Roark, who also picked off a pass. "They couldn't run or couldn't pass."

Like most teams have found out this season playing Monahans, the Rangers weren't alone in that regard.

NO. 4 MONAHANS 42, GREENWOOD 0

Greenwood 0 0 0 0 --0

Monahans 13 22 7 0 --42

First Quarter

MON -- Byron Scharf 2 run (Ty Horton kick), 8:16

MON -- Scharf 5 pass from Wade Roark (kick failed), 2:17

Second Quarter

MON -- Scharf 7 run (Ricky Robledo pass from Roark), 6:36

MON -- Robledo 60 pass from Roark (Horton kick), 3:56

MON -- Scharf 3 run (Horton kick), 1:38

Third Quarter

MON -- Rex Rose 8 pass from Roark (Horton kick), 1:39

GRE MON

First Downs 1 24

Rushes-yards 17-38 53-265

Passing (-6) 190

Comp.-Att.-Int. 1-15-3 9-16-0

Punts-Avg. 7-38.1 2-52.5

Fumbles-lost 4-0 3-1

Penalties-yards 1-5 5-50

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS

RUSHING -- Greenwood, Kaden Hatley 6-22, Cole Barton 4-12, Kyle Young 6-11, Jesse Madrid 1-1, Team 1-(-8). Monahans, Byron Scharf 12-114, Colby Denton 17-83, Wade Roark 5-4, Logan Mitchell 3-19, Andrew Gaona 8-21, Micah Ramsey 6-23, Ricky Chandler 1-(-2), Mathew Santiago 1-3.

PASSING -- Greenwood, Hatley 1-151-3--(-6). Monahans, Roark 9-16-0--190

RECEIVING -- Greenwood, Aaron Norris 1-(-6). Monahans, Ricky Robledo 3-110, Martin Marquez 1-20, Scharf 2-18, Ty Horton 1-24, Denton 1-10, Rex Rose 1-8

INTERCEPTIONS -- Monahans, Marcus Britton 2-0, Roark 1-3

Read more: http://www.mywesttexas.com/articles/2009/11/07/sports/top_stories/11-7_greenwood-monahans_tm_read.txt#ixzz0WBuKIJ7i

tex_male
11-07-2009, 11:23 AM
Even the back ups played a good fourth quarter.