PDA

View Full Version : UH OH! Trouble in paradise!

Keith7
11-04-2009, 04:46 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=4622709

Bullaholic
11-04-2009, 05:00 PM
I sort of feel sorry for Roy, but IMO, this was a lame explanation on his part. If he just won't turn into TO---shut his mouth--and keep trying, I'm not going to give up on him yet. This kind of press will not help his situation any.

Get ready to sweep up Eagle feathers, Keith---your tweety birds are goin' down bigtime.

LE Dad
11-04-2009, 05:07 PM
:clap: :clap: Wishful thinking :D Just a matter of getting their timing and reads right. :p

Eagle 1
11-04-2009, 05:42 PM
If Roy was a #1 receiver type, then why would Detroit have let him go? :thinking:

SintonFan
11-04-2009, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=4622709

Click here Keith! (http://www.the-earchives.com/wavs/R/rugrat14.wav)
:D

crzyjournalist03
11-04-2009, 06:08 PM
At least Keith can admit that the Dallas Cowboys are paradise as opposed to a dreary, sweaty, smelly team like Philadelphia.

espn1
11-04-2009, 06:29 PM
Eagle, Redskins, and the Giants all Suck! Allways have! Always will!

Maroon87
11-04-2009, 07:05 PM
Keith's Cowboy obsession continues...

GrTigers6
11-04-2009, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Eagle 1
If Roy was a #1 receiver type, then why would Detroit have let him go? :thinking: Noone to throw the ball to him. :D

statewide
11-04-2009, 07:51 PM
Jerry Rice couldn't catch the balls he is throwing to Roy. He almost got him killed a few weeks back causing him to miss one week with a rib injury. Roy has a point.

STANG RED
11-04-2009, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by statewide
Jerry Rice couldn't catch the balls he is throwing to Roy. He almost got him killed a few weeks back causing him to miss one week with a rib injury. Roy has a point.

Go look at some of Jerry Rice's highlight films. He was hung out to dry by both Montana and Young on several occasions. Difference is, he made the catch, took the hit, then jumped up, came back to the huddle, and went right back across the middle on the next play. Seriously, you dont even want to try comparing Rice with Williams. Williams couldnt carry Rice's jock on his worst day.

skins4life
11-04-2009, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Go look at some of Jerry Rice's highlight films. He was hung out to dry by both Montana and Young on several occasions. Difference is, he made the catch, took the hit, then jumped up, came back to the huddle, and went right back across the middle on the next play. Seriously, you dont even want to try comparing Rice with Williams. Williams couldnt carry Rice's jock on his worst day.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

Eagle 1
11-04-2009, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED

That is to funny.....as I was about to say the same thing. :clap:

Maroon87
11-05-2009, 09:36 AM
Maybe if Roy was running the correct route, the ball would be where he thinks it should be. Just a thought.:thinking:

SintonPirateFan
11-05-2009, 09:44 AM
i dont think he was trying to compare roy to rice....the point he was making was the passes being thrown to roy are uncatchable.

SintonPirateFan
11-05-2009, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Maybe if Roy was running the correct route, the ball would be where he thinks it should be. Just a thought.:thinking:

one of them is way off--and romo isn't having this much trouble remembering anyone else's routes...so i'm thinking its RW

lulu
11-05-2009, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by SintonPirateFan
one of them is way off--and romo isn't having this much trouble remembering anyone else's routes...so i'm thinking its RW I agree.

sinton66
11-05-2009, 11:45 AM
It's not uncommon for good receivers to go through an adjustment period when they get to a different team. Some do it quickly, some do it slowly. What's T.O. done since going to Buffalo? It's clear Roy and Tony aren't on the same page. Doesn't even matter to me whose fault it is as long as they eventually get it resolved. Roy's TD catch last Sunday could be an indication things are beginning to work their way out. Cowboys have an excellent receivers coach. Bet he'll figure it out.

Keith7
11-05-2009, 01:05 PM
I think it's becoming clear that williams is just another texas bust

Bullaholic
11-05-2009, 01:18 PM

You like to try to rile the Cowboys fans, now you're going to try to stir up the UT crowd?

LE Dad
11-05-2009, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
It's not uncommon for good receivers to go through an adjustment period when they get to a different team. Some do it quickly, some do it slowly. What's T.O. done since going to Buffalo? It's clear Roy and Tony aren't on the same page. Doesn't even matter to me whose fault it is as long as they eventually get it resolved. Roy's TD catch last Sunday could be an indication things are beginning to work their way out. Cowboys have an excellent receivers coach. Bet he'll figure it out. That's it exactly. I think
what Williams was trying to express was that the timing between he and Romo was off. I wish I could hear the audio of this. I think it looks worse in print than what he intended for it to look. Every Cowboy fan has grown tired of the TO crybaby routine but I am not sure that this is the same deal. Keep Whitten and Austin going and if Williams and Romo do get on same page look out.

squid
11-05-2009, 01:37 PM
UH OH! Trouble in paradise!

silly me. I clicked on this thread thinking that Keith had traveled all the way from Conroe to Austin and found the doors to Oil Can Harry's were locked for the night...

Gobbla2001
11-05-2009, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Keith's Cowboy obsession continues...

You mean his obsession with everything he doesn't like?

coach
11-05-2009, 01:55 PM
last week romo hit roy in the chest twice and he dropped both of them. and like someone else said romo is on the same page with everyone else....btw this is a stupid time for him to complain like this

TheDOCTORdre
11-05-2009, 02:46 PM

I think the only thing that is becoming clear is that you spend a whole lot of time posting about teams that you "hate"

forum_guy
11-05-2009, 03:37 PM
face the music cowboy fans if you haven't already. RW is a bust with what was given up and hasnt lived up to half of what fans thought he would be. Using those picks someone like Percy Harvin could have been drafted.

LE Dad
11-05-2009, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
I think the only thing that is becoming clear is that you spend a whole lot of time posting about teams that you "hate" :thumbsup:

Daddy D 11
11-05-2009, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by coach
btw this is a stupid time for him to complain like this

That's what I was thinking too.

SintonFan_inAustin
11-05-2009, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic

Get ready to sweep up Eagle feathers, Keith---your tweety birds are goin' down bigtime. :2thumbsup

STANG RED
11-05-2009, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by SintonPirateFan
i dont think he was trying to compare roy to rice....the point he was making was the passes being thrown to roy are uncatchable.

LOL, if the only balls he's dropping are the uncatchable ones, maybe he has a grip. But you know thats not the case at all. He's dropped even more that were right where they should be, than the uncatchable ones. Romo doesnt throw any more uncatchable balls than most other NFL QBs. The others just dont have RW dropping them. Really good NFL recievers make most of the catches RW is dropping.

sinton66
11-05-2009, 06:32 PM
To be fair, he didn't drop many that Vince Young threw to him. Maybe Romo's throwing too hard or something. I don't think I've seen Romo hit him in full stride like Vince used to.

Keith7
11-05-2009, 06:38 PM
To be fair, he didn't drop many that Vince Young threw to him. Maybe Romo's throwing too hard or something. I don't think I've seen Romo hit him in full stride like Vince used to.

Did vince young even play that much with williams?

STANG RED
11-05-2009, 06:41 PM

He's an NFL reciever making millions. If he can get a hand on it, he should be able to catch it period IMO. If he cant do the job he's paid (very well) to do, send him on his way.
He wasnt facing those NFL headhunters when he was in college. He's in the big leagues now, and has had plenty of time to adjust it.

Eagle 1
11-05-2009, 09:02 PM

Maybe he's just use to Vince side arm throw.......

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/255/vinceyoungthrowing.gif

Scholar
11-05-2009, 09:50 PM
Give Sam Hurd a chance.

lulu
11-06-2009, 11:26 AM
Get over it.

crzyjournalist03
11-06-2009, 12:08 PM
Did vince young even play that much with williams?

They were together on the 2004 team that went to the Rose Bowl (not the national championship).

Here's a theory, and I can see people from all sides (Cowboys fans, Cowboys haters, Texas fans, etc.) dismissing, but I think it might be worth considering.

Who has Roy Williams had throwing him the ball over the years? Chance Mock, Chris Simms, Vince Young, Joey Harrington, and Jon Kitna.

None of the QBs he's used to have big arms like Romo. Kitna is the closest, but his arm is more suited for the quick intermediate passing game than the types of routes the Cowboys run. Outside of Kitna, none of them were honestly very good passing quarterbacks, and outside of possibly Vince Young at Texas, comparing him to his quarterbacks, you'd always say that Roy Williams was a better player than his quarterback was.

Now let's examine some of the things we've heard over the years about Williams. "He doesn't study the playbook," "He doesn't practice with 100% effort," etc. When Williams had those quarterbacks, he was "better" than those quarterbacks, so perhaps he often took his routes into his own hands and the quarterbacks adjusted because they knew he was talented.

With Romo, he's been in a system that has been timing-based under Parcells and is still very big on hitting your spots under Jason Garrett. Romo throws the ball where he expects the receiver to go, not where the receiver looks like they're going. Unless directed by Romo to alter their route, they should stick to the gameplan.

Williams is used to going wherever he's going to go and having the quarterback throw it to him, kind of a backyard on-the-fly adjustment if he thinks he starts down the field and feels he'd be better on a post than the slant that was called.

I think that what's happening is that both Romo and Williams feel that they should be calling the shots on routes. I'm not talking about playcalling...I'm talking about where the players go when the play gets underway and an adjustment needs to be made. Both expect the other to do it their way. Romo, being the quarterback, should have the ability to put the ball where he wants the receiver to go. Williams, having played with inferior quarterbacks, feels that he should show a quarterback where the ball should go.

If you look at the passes they've completed, it's when Williams has run a precise route, like the slant for a touchdown last week. It was short, and there wasn't any time for either Romo or Williams to freestyle.

I don't have any real proof for this, but based on how well Romo has been connecting with so many other receivers all over the field, I have a feeling that Williams is trying to "make plays happen" rather than trusting Romo to throw the ball where the ball's supposed to go.

SintonPirateFan
11-06-2009, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
They were together on the 2004 team that went to the Rose Bowl (not the national championship).

Here's a theory, and I can see people from all sides (Cowboys fans, Cowboys haters, Texas fans, etc.) dismissing, but I think it might be worth considering.

Who has Roy Williams had throwing him the ball over the years? Chance Mock, Chris Simms, Vince Young, Joey Harrington, and Jon Kitna.

None of the QBs he's used to have big arms like Romo. Kitna is the closest, but his arm is more suited for the quick intermediate passing game than the types of routes the Cowboys run. Outside of Kitna, none of them were honestly very good passing quarterbacks, and outside of possibly Vince Young at Texas, comparing him to his quarterbacks, you'd always say that Roy Williams was a better player than his quarterback was.

Now let's examine some of the things we've heard over the years about Williams. "He doesn't study the playbook," "He doesn't practice with 100% effort," etc. When Williams had those quarterbacks, he was "better" than those quarterbacks, so perhaps he often took his routes into his own hands and the quarterbacks adjusted because they knew he was talented.

With Romo, he's been in a system that has been timing-based under Parcells and is still very big on hitting your spots under Jason Garrett. Romo throws the ball where he expects the receiver to go, not where the receiver looks like they're going. Unless directed by Romo to alter their route, they should stick to the gameplan.

Williams is used to going wherever he's going to go and having the quarterback throw it to him, kind of a backyard on-the-fly adjustment if he thinks he starts down the field and feels he'd be better on a post than the slant that was called.

I think that what's happening is that both Romo and Williams feel that they should be calling the shots on routes. I'm not talking about playcalling...I'm talking about where the players go when the play gets underway and an adjustment needs to be made. Both expect the other to do it their way. Romo, being the quarterback, should have the ability to put the ball where he wants the receiver to go. Williams, having played with inferior quarterbacks, feels that he should show a quarterback where the ball should go.

If you look at the passes they've completed, it's when Williams has run a precise route, like the slant for a touchdown last week. It was short, and there wasn't any time for either Romo or Williams to freestyle.

I don't have any real proof for this, but based on how well Romo has been connecting with so many other receivers all over the field, I have a feeling that Williams is trying to "make plays happen" rather than trusting Romo to throw the ball where the ball's supposed to go.

great point...i had never thought about it like that.

Txbroadcaster
11-06-2009, 12:17 PM

The only thing I will disagree with on this is the fact that Williams had Martz running his offense in Detroit and that system is all about running precise routes and the QB throwing to a spot. Not alot of back yard style in that offense.

Bullaholic
11-06-2009, 12:23 PM
If I were Wade Phillips, I think I would be telling Roy Williams in no uncertain terms to run the routes correctly and precisely that he is told to run on every play and the ball will be there if he is open. If it's not---that's not his problem. Outside of this---shut up and play.....

sinton66
11-06-2009, 12:31 PM
I'm confident they will work it out and eventually get on the same page. Williams is a good receiver, not necessarily a "pro-bowl" type, but good none the less. Maybe he got a little big headed when Dallas gave up a bunch to get him. I might have too if I were in his shoes. Reality will sink in eventually.

crzyjournalist03
11-06-2009, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
The only thing I will disagree with on this is the fact that Williams had Martz running his offense in Detroit and that system is all about running precise routes and the QB throwing to a spot. Not alot of back yard style in that offense.

The teams he was on in Detroit don't necessarily deter the theory though. Williams posted the best season of his career in '06 when the team was awful in basically every facet of the game. Even if Martz was calling for precise routes, there probably weren't a ton of them being run. Kitna was sacked 63 times that year and was running for his life and having to chunk it quickly on every play. With no time, it was bang-bang, and Williams didn't have time to change his routes even if he wanted to. He put up the best season of his career.

The next year, Detroit was respectable at 7-9, Kitna had a little more time to throw, and Williams' number diminished by 20%. After that year, Martz was fired.

Williams was best known for being a first-down machine in Detroit...that tells you that he's very good on short, precise routes. Given more time to run longer routes, he just isn't as good.

STANG RED
11-06-2009, 03:13 PM

I think you made a good analysis, and I cant argue with any of it. BUT, it doesn’t account for him dropping balls that are right in his hands. Even if he does start running all his routes correctly, and Romo puts the ball where it's supposed to be, it's still up to him to catch it. He hasn’t proved he can do that consistently, so I'm sure Romo is hesitant to throw to him sometime. I know I would be. And now that Romo has found his new #1 receiver, RW is quickly becoming an after thought. So instead of whining, he needs to buckle down, and try to win back what he's lost. I'm just not sure he has the dedication and will to do that. Hope I'm wrong though.

SintonFan
11-06-2009, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Scholar
Give Sam Hurd a chance.

Yes!
Sam Hurd can be real good but needs to prove he can more consistent. Give him a chance.:cool: