PDA

View Full Version : Texas A&M Football

CentralTxFan
09-25-2002, 02:29 PM
I know this isn't 3A but I found this interesting. Has anyone else heard about this? The article comes directly from the TAMU football News site. This is only a portion.

Slocum Reorganizes Offensive Staff

For Immediate Release
Tuesday, September 24, 2002
COLLEGE STATION, Texas- Texas A&M Head Football Coach R.C. Slocum announced a reorganization of his offensive staff.

"Monday morning I reorganized my offensive staff," Slocum said. "I have relieved Dino Babers of his responsibility for play calling and overall direction of the offense. Those duties will be assumed by Assistant Head Coach Kevin Sumlin. (Sumlin also coaches the wide receivers.) Coach Babers will continue to devote his time to developing the quarterbacks."

"I have been concerned and disappointed with the production of our offense," Slocum stated. "I am hopeful that these changes will help us move the offense in a more positive direction."

This is where the rest of the article can be found... http://sports.tamu.edu/press/pressRelease.php?PRID=5267

My question is...what does this do to the kids Babers has been looking at? Do these kids still have a shot at TAMU or does it start all over?

ATMO
09-25-2002, 02:39 PM
I've been saying this would happen for quite a while. RC has no guts. The blame starts with him. What is in now, 5 different OC's in 6 years? Doesn't he hire these coaches? When is he going to step up and take the blame? Never, as long as the administration at aTm allows this to continue. He claims that he has no say in the offense. HELLO. He is the head man. His defensive personality does not allow OC's to be successful under his philosophy. In big games, it seems to be, "Keep it close boys. We'll lose with dignity." Offenses have changed the way the game is played in the last 5 years. The win-with-defense philosophy is good IF your offense can score. A&M's can't, and it starts with RC. HE needs to go!

CentralTxFan
09-25-2002, 02:46 PM
I totally agree with you ATMO. RC needs to be seeing A&M in his rearview mirror. I am hoping the new AD will see RC's flaws and reassign, or even better yet, release him from his duties. Who is keeping the man at TAMU? Certainly not his "fans"!

rholl
09-25-2002, 03:28 PM
U.T. fans are starting a petition to keep R.C......as far as we are concerned he is doing a fine job and the "little slump" in the offense will pass in time....hopefully a loooong time!!

wpgrad
09-25-2002, 04:49 PM
I guess we here at aTm need to get a petition started to get rid of him.

CentralTxFan
09-25-2002, 05:02 PM
I guess this goes back to my original question...will Babers "leaving" affect the letters some of the potential future aggies have? Will the young players still be looked at the same or does Sumlin start over and to heck with the kids who have gotten promising letters?

Hey wpgrad we can start a petition to get rc sent to...where do you think? That is a tough one....too many choices and some shouldn't be talked about here!!! http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/wink.gif

GoOrange
09-25-2002, 06:03 PM
Since when has Texas A&M cared about those they pressure into recruiting? Babers pushed to sign Jason Carter and promised him the moon before signing Long and McNeal. Carter was told they wouldn't look for a QB the same year and they got Long, who is not nearl as good a passer as Carter, but because Carter didn't complete a bomb in his first attempt, he got sidelined in heartbeat despite hounding him to sign on when was a high school junior!
A&M's offense sucks and always will! I'm an '89 grad and call me a 2-percenter all you want, fellow Ags, but the bottom line is that A&M will never IN A MILLION YEARS contend for a national title as long as Slocum remains there. I called for his ouster three years ago and nobody listened.
We have exhausted all efforts in pipedreaming of a national title under that Sherrill-hand-me-down and it's time for the axe to fall. One minute we're blasting UT (every year I was there) and never could make it to the title game and then Mack Brown graces his face at UT and within a year they were contending out of the blue.
So all this bullcrap about giving a coach "TIME" to build a program is ridiculous. If there was a "lie clock" whose hands only moved when Slocum promised us improvement, his could be used as a ceiling fan! Meanwhile, let's just keep on a pumpin' millions into his annual paycheck when there are high school coaches (like G.A. Moore) who could get a clue in a fraction of the time it takes him in his weekly news (snooze) conference to say "boy, oh, boy --- something appears to be wrong with our offense"
GOLLY, OH GEE, R.C., YA THINK?

SevenSins
09-25-2002, 11:16 PM
RC...i agree, he needs to get outta there...
i'll be an AGGIE fall of 2003...goin' Corps...SQ 17...but yeah, i'd like to get a new Coach and bring back a winning tradition...I want something to be proud of that i can brag about the all the kids at TU.

dovehunter
09-25-2002, 11:36 PM
I would also like to see RC leave College Station and never come back, but I am not going to hold my breath waiting for it to happen. RC is a great politician and has too many connections with wealthy alumni who would probably (if they haven't already) threatened to withhold contributions to the school if RC were to be fired.

In this case, money speaks louder than any newspaper article or outspoken critic. It may take a long time before a new generation of alumni are predominant enough for RC to be given the boot.

rt04
09-26-2002, 02:00 PM
Texas A/M football is terrible

GoStangs
09-27-2002, 09:52 AM
GoOrange...Babers wasn't there to recruit Carter as a junior in high school. In fact, the Ags were recruiting Holliday (who now plays for the Irish) at the same time they were recruiting Long. Get your facts straight. And on top of that, Carter didn't get yanked out of the game because he didn't complete a long bomb. Did you actually watch the game and read post-game comments by the staff? They intended to use ALL FOUR quarterbacks. Carter got the same amount of series that McNeal got.

Aggie football is not terrible. The Aggie offense IS terrible, but the defense is the best in the land...don't knock the Wreckin' Crew!

[This message has been edited by GoStangs (edited September 27, 2002).]

Titans
09-27-2002, 11:38 AM
Ags defense the best in the land??????

You are kidding, right? They are good, let's get that straight, but the best in the land? If they aren't they should be, they're on the field long enough to get plenty of practice.